Achilles' tendon surgery tomorrow for full rupture and no idea how long I'll be off work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ruptured my AT two weeks ago playing squash. All the usual symptoms although not as painful as my previous calf tear - although now I'm starting to realise it's much more serious. And not a quick return to sport sad

I'm in for surgery tomorrow morning and having read loads over the last fortnight, still not sure what the immediate post op advice is. It seems everyone has a slightly different experience.

I'm a self employed graphic designer and eager to know when I can sit at a desk again and do some work to keep the wheels turning.

Should I be lying down with foot elevated above heart for first few days or much longer?

Really appreciate any advice from other who have gone through the same journey...

Cheers

Kris

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good luck! My conservative treatment meant lots of sofa surfing with the leg up and resting, but I could sit at a desk with the leg supported pretty soon; I'd have thought you could arrange a laptop / drawing board (do they still use these?,.... ) around you. I was off work for a month, but working from home on a lappy very soon
    • Posted

Thanks Tim. Just heading in now.

Unfortunately it's no longer on drawing boards (happy old days) although it'll be much easier to have mac on my lap smile

Glad to hear you're healing well...

• Posted

I did mine last May 2015 and had conservative treatment.  Keep leg raised as much as possible.  I worked from home immedately following rupture and had extra chair to put my leg on to keep it elevated.  Make sure you get blood thinning drugs from Doc to avoid DVT (it was mandatory for a 6 week period in Gloucestershire Health Authority). You should have a boot following the Operation and this should be kept on all of the time except for washing the stinky foot. It is a pain (literally) to sleep with it on, but I had cushions at the end of my bed to keep leg elevated when sleeping and loosened the straps to reduce pressure on the swelling. I was out of the boot after 10 weeks and with physio and exercises was walking without limp after 5 months.  1 year has passed and I am back to normal, can jog a bit, walk for miles and no pain. It is a long road to recovery, but be patient and stay positive.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Stephen. Docs advised DVT drugs for three weeks, but I think I'll go a bit longer after hearing you were advised six. Good to hear that I can still do some work as long as leg is elevated - for once I'm glad I've got a desk job! Can't believe how long the recovery takes, but as you say - stay patient and positive.

For anyone else going for full rupture surgery... I'm just back home from my op which was at 9am this morning. Woke up in the ward feeling fine, just a bit tired and not too sore (2 out of 10). Told the surgery took 1.5 hours and all went well. I've got plastercast on for two weeks then in to the dreaded boot for a while...

I had the choice of surgery or conservative, and having read various opposing opinions I decided surgery. I want to get back to racket sports (eventually), and hope this may prove to be a bit stronger and also get me out the boot quicker - I'll keep you posted to see if it turns out that way.

Off for first nights sleep - post op...

• Posted

Glad the Op went well. Hope your sleep was OK. Took ages for me to get a good nights sleep.  The muscle atrophy will be rapid ( my left calf still is not a big as it used to be), but keep posting questions and the community will guide you through this
  • Posted

Three days post of from full AT rupture...

Sitting in the sunshine with leg up reading Sunday papers - this bit's not so bad.

Finding it tough having to keep the ankle elevated all the time. Even up to brush my teeth and the swelling returns in five mins. Can't believe how much I'm missing even being able to walk around on crutches for a while. Any ideas on how long before I could go for a 20 minute walk (NWB) on crutches?

Also anyone with knowledge on when I could safely and legally drive my auto car? It's my left AT that's bust, so theoretically should be ok on short journeys? Direct line were fine with me driving pre surgey in boot, but not sure how insurance view it post op?

On a positive note, the plaster cast is MUCH more comfortable than the boot. Best enjoy it while I can smile

First time I've ever engaged in an online 'community' and can't thank everyone enough for the help its been already, even though I've just started the road to recovery.

• Posted

Hi Kris

Firstly , welcome to this site. It's been a lifeline for me having had complex reconstructive surgery on both my feet. First op in June 2014 n left foot was done Nov 2015.

I've had tendon transfers as one of the procedures.

Walking with crutches is pretty hard work especially for anything more then 15 mins in my experience.

Pay careful attention to your lower back as with nwb, we lose our core strength .

The main problem we all face is the swelling.

As long as there is swelling, we have to rest n raise the limb. It's an indication that we aren't ready to take that next step of slowly strengthening our limb or trying to walk .

That is when most people find the swelling is at its worse and the first 2weeks post surgery or trauma.

I hear your frustrations as with keeping elevated...again that too make sure you support the whole leg from thigh to foot and try to get up once every 2 hrs.

I was nwb for 4 months with both feet and the swelling was very different in both.

R foot stayed swollen for 13 months....l foot only 5 months! Why? I put it down to different surgeons and how much the nerves and tendons were moved during surgery.

I can't see why driving an automatic car would cause you problems after all most people use only their r foot and not both feet . I would get consent from your insurers.

Totally agree about plaster being more comfy! Hated that boot!

Eat well too...certainly works wonders with the healing process.

Slowly does it is the way forward .

Focus on when life is back to normal and not on how you are going to get thru this as that was my biggest problem with my first op. It didn't help that I was so negative and down.

Pleased to say I have a very supportive partner n family and that Im eternally grateful to them as support is key too.

I'm walking now 😊almost pain free !

Last hurdle is building strength up as muscle wastage occurs almost immediately.

Gd luck n chin up! You will be back to normal in a few months

Nikky

• Posted

Hi Nikky

Thanks for supportive advice. Sounds like you had quite a time of it! Glad to hear you seem to be on the other side and active again.

I think I need to accept a couple of weeks rest following surgery and hope swelling settles. Just spent 9 months rehab on a knee injury (other leg) and keen to avoid losing muscle as much as possible. Looks like sitter leg raises till I can get back to longer on crutches.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences as it's a real help to hear from like minded people.

Hope you're our enjoying a well earned walk in Sunday sunshine smile

• Posted

I had conservative treatment, NWB for 5 weeks, left tendon and I kept off feet as much as possible. Got the ok from the consultant to drive an auto after that, when i was on crutches, but getting more mobile. I was in a boot throughout. It certainly taught patience, and how dreadful daytime tv is!
    • Posted

Wow. 5 weeks seems a long time before driving again in an auto. It must be great though to get independence back a little bit.

Did you have the choice of surgery and choose otherwise? Seems to be so many varied opinions on the best route.

I'm going to try a couple of hours a day in the office with leg up on desk to see how I get on. Desperate to avoid turning on daytime tv!

• Posted

Kris.  I was driving within a week of my rupture. It was my left foot so driving my auto was ok for short journey for me (drop kids off at school etc.) As soon as i felt any discomfort / swelling feelings, I knew that was too much time driving. Your progress depends on your consultant and Physio. I was out of a boot in 9 weeks and limping around with and without crutch for a few weeks,  A 20 minute unadided walk...could be 12 weeks? Nikky is right, take it slow as I had a mate who reruptured after 12 weeks and you dont want to go down the route of another 3 months incapacitated. Keep us informed.

• Posted

It was an insurance thing.. actually I had a manual car, so it was out of the question, and the consultant said no untill I got through the NWB phase, so if i had an accident it would have invalidated insurance. WHen he gave the clear, after several stages of wedges in the boot, the company I work for lent me an automatic to drive into work ( 15miles) Before that I worked from home, not very effectively.
  • Posted

Thanks for feedback guys. Once I'm able to be upright for any time without instant swelling, I'll check with insurance and have a short drive to see how it goes. My office is only 3 miles away so should be no problem to get in for a few hours each day with leg up on a desk.

Really scary to even think of a re-rupture! Thanks for the reminder though as the very thought of it should help me be more patient and let it rest over properly.

At least I'm feeling lucky it's been sunny ever since my AT rupture which means I can chill outside. I've got the best tanned leg and a half in town!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.