Achilles tendonosis and shockwave therapy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my surgeon wants to send me for ultrasound shockwave therapy on my chronic tendonosis on my left achilles before considering surgery

My question is has anyone recieved this therapy and did it work , i have read online that it is still just an experimental therapy

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola I had it and it didn't work x
    • Posted

Hi swampiesue my friend

Sent you a PM

So your recommendation is it isnt worth it , online it says works brilliant at shattering kidney stones and on rotator cuff injuries of the shoulder but no positive information on achilles injuries it keeps saying its experimental still

• Posted

Hi,

I had it as part as my physio after a complete rupture as when the tendon repaired after a complete rupture it was rather thick and gristly. The physio therapist would zap it with the ultrasound beam and then massage it (deep tissue massage) the actual ultrasound was painless the massage a little uncomfortable but the aim is to try to reduce inflammation. It probably helped however due to the manipulation with the massage it always felt a little tender if not bruised. I would suggest going for it as without a doubt it helps keep it supple.

my broken Achilles is still much thicker than my other one and 4 years on still feels tighter but I would say definitely try everything they have to offer and see what works for you.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply joanna

My problem is i dont have inflammation i have chronic tendonosis (micro tears ) which have resulted in lumps in my tendon ,

I have read online about this treatment but it mostly mentions inflamation not degeneration,

Were you more inflammed

• Posted

Hi Nicola

I had it on both feet for what the doctors thought I had : posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction. I think that after the treatment (months after) my left foot  improved but my right foot got worse. Before I had more pain on the left foot in comparison to the right foot. The first months after the shockwave therapy treatment I felt lots of pain. With time the pain decreases.

I cannot say for sure that it helped me. I am with another doctor now, who I trust, and he said that shockwave therapy does not produce positive results (he did not mention about any negative ones either). If you asked me today "would you do it again? " I would say no. 

Today this doctor thinks I have something else. We are not 100% sure about the diagnosis yet. I had a few tests done and I will see him again on the 3rd May. He suspects I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. So maybe that's why the treatment was not good for me? That's a good question to ask.

I wish you the best. Keep strong. We will get over the pain.

Take care

Cris

Ps: I had the treatment in September 2015

• Posted

Hi cristianeukbr

Thanks for your reply

I have had this problem for 5 years now on and off but have had it constantly now for the last year , i have done most of the conservative treatments, rest ice anti inflammatories physio nothing worked , then got referred to a surgeon , had xrays and ultrasound done both were conclusive of chronic tendonosis, loads of micro tears , and he wants more physio done and this treatment to be honest i think it will be wasting my time ,

Is it just one treatment or a course of treatments

I hope you get sorted with your problem and that we both are painfree asap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.