Aching feet being less mobile after bunion op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone found it difficult to walk easily after being unable to walk far for a few months . Even the foot that hasn't had any surgery seems achy as soon as I walk for 20 mins . Walking just seems so hard now even though my bunion operated foot is doing well .

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I am 4 months post op and walking is very difficult. Your muscles and bones harden up when you are not using them correctly. I am really suffering because I was not offered physio, now I have to try to get everything moving again and it is agony.
    • Posted

I asked for physio but consultant said to leave well alone and GP said it's an 17-20 week wait and I should be better by then ! I m walking like a old woman beyond 61 years and I'm concerned I can't see much improvement from week to week . I try to walk through the pain but my legs just don't want to work ! It's good to know I'm not alone but sad you're suffering too ! Its just a general ache in both legs but it's so miserable isn't it .
    • Posted

I asked for a physio referral at 13 weeks post op because I could not walk well at all. I seemed to improve the first week but am now stuck again. My surgeon tells me I have regional pain syndrome which is a rare post op complication. I have been prescribes Gabapentin for chronic nerve pain. I have gained slight mobility back in my ankle but the whole top of my foot is frozen solid and I have lost bone density from not being able to use it properly. I walk very poorly and I am only 52. I am a postwoman. I am beginning to fear I might not be able to get back to work. In 8 weeks I drop to half pay as I will have been off 6 months. It is a nightmare. I am going to take 8 paracetamol a day to see if I can get through the pain and get this foot moving properly. This whole experience has been a disaster for me, I wish I never had my op
    • Posted

What bunion op did you have there seem to be so many variants of what is done. I'm sorry your struggling so much. From reading other people's posts it seems none of us were pre warned the problems following the op. Keep excerising your toes gently by pushing them up and down if it's not too sore. I have found that has helped.
    • Posted

I had Taylor's bunion, little toe and 2 toe straightened. The bunion joint does not move at all.
    • Posted

Hi Pauline. So you are not fairing too well as I am not. I'm still limping and it's been over 4 months and like Oxejess Iv'e found that my legs ache and now I have sharp pain on the top of my other foot. Today I walked on and off for around 4 hours with many stops to go home limping and with shooting pain through the top of my operated foot and bunion area. I also feel miserable!
    • Posted

O'h Pauline so you are not back at work yet. I wondered about you and how you would go . We are both not fairing too well. I have been told by my surgeon's understudy that it can take up to a year which is daunting as all the initial timing was 6-8 weeks. Can't believe your foot is frozen solid. I can imagine losing bone density that's why we both talked physiotherapy. I am becoming really depressed with this and am nervous about having the other foot done now. Keep well
    • Posted

Just got signed off today for another month, that will be 5 months. I too was told 6 to 8 weeks, it is a nightmare and work are wondering what I am playing at! I too have heard thasthast the swelling can last a year. How the heck can I be a postwoman with a swollen painful foot. I was prescribed some calcium pills today to help repair the bone density. The main way to help it though is to get the foot moving which is a lot easier said than done! It is so painful and just swells after about 20 minutes walking. Then when I stop it just freezes solid again. Work are expecting me back after this sick note runs out. It iscso frustrating and worrying. I really feel for you, you are not alone.
    • Posted

I really feel for you Pauline cause your job is only possible when your foot has vastly improved . I have worked 2 full days this week in an infant school and I almost cried as I got home this evening . My foot is badly swollen and very very sore under neath by my middle toes . For you to be walking miles is asking a great deal and impossible to rush recovery . This op takes its toll and time to repair it seems x
    • Posted

I really don't know if I will make it back to work, i walk 10 miles a day on my job. It is such a worry
    • Posted

Hello Paulineย 

I had womdered if you were back at work. You may remember we exchanged 'mail' after I had my scarf akin osteotomy on 21st March?

I'm sorry to hear you have had problems.sad

I was just trawling this site to (AGAIN) read upon othrs recovery- I had my K -wire out a week ago and until then have only been able to walk flat footed for 8 wks. I originally told my boss that I would be back to work in 6 weeks. Then got a sck not from the hospital for 8 weeks. After review last week I will now be off for another month (total 12 weeks). Well I had asked for physio last week but was told to'just go and walk' by the podiatrist. Well I am struggling I was still using crutches some times last week and when I go out I still need at lest one. I have lost all confidence, I can stand on the foot but it seems my foot s turned toward the outer edge. My knee and ankle are rigid. Today I realised that my big toe doesn't even touch the floor whenI try to turn the foot inward! I am due back to work as a nurse in a busy clinical area, like you on my feet for long long days! After reading your post I don't feel confident oh my where to begin?!ย 

• Posted

Hi Nellie, yes I remember, sorry to hear you are stuck too. I was getting nowhere fast at 13 weeks post op. I could only hobble short distances with a crutch. I too was told to just get out there and walk but I couldn't. I demanded a physio referral from my gp. When I saw the physio she said she could not understand why I had not been referred post op. She was flabbergasted. My ankle, calf, shin and top of foot were totally locked up and I had lost bone density from not being able to use my foot. I have been having physio for 3 weeks now and have significantly improved. My calf and shin muscles are totally free now and I have 75% of my ankle back. The bridge of my foot is very stiff and tight but I can walk with a stick for about 45 minutes, 3 times a day. Tonight I went on rough terrain for 50 minutes. Although I am improving I still doubt I will be back at work when this sick note runs out - and that will be 20 weeks!!!! I only get paid for another 4 after that. Please please go and demand physio. You will not get better without it. Google exercises to do after foot surgery. They are the same ones you will get at physio. I was lucky to get physio 9 days after my referral but in other areas people are waiting months. Demand it. You need to get things moving or you will be stuck like I was and it is so much harder getting things moving when they are ceased up rock solid. Let me know how you get on. From my experience the surgeons don't care about the recovery, they just bleat about how successful the actual surgery was!! Well the great surgery is pointless without a successful recovery. Please get help.
    • Posted

Hello Pauline it's Sharon from Aus again. You havent been fairing too well from what I read above. It's now 4 1/2 months since surgery for me. I'm still having swelling at the top of my foot and still have a slight limp although I am able to walk some distance before it takes hold and makes me limp even moreso. I am seeing a nurse for another situation at the moment and she informed me that 8 years ago she had bunion surgery along with all of her toes being straightened. It did take her some time to recover but she said she was back to running after six months.ย  She was 26 at the time though. She is apalled that I had not been offered physiotherapy. She said it is a must to get your foot working again. So am off to my doctor next week to organise this. I agree with what you have siad regarding the surgeons how they skive about how great a job they have done but walk off and leave you in limbo.
    • Posted

Thank you Pauline I will. I saw a work colleague today as I was limping around Sainsburys with one crutch. On seeing me walking albeit with an awful gait she said oh you are walking! So you'll be back at work soon!! In the night I can hardly weigt bare when visiting the lavatory!
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. Good to hear from you again. Yes it has been a long horrible experience and its not over yet but hopefully I am on the road to recovery now. Not getting physio was a huge hindrance to my recovery. It is so very important and I feel that I have been really let down. It will be 18 weeks on Wednesday since my op and I have only started to walk in the past 3 weeks. Still with a heavy limp but at least I am walking. Only did 2 walks today as did too much yesterday so very sore. Hopefully get back on track tomorrow.. I am not confident that I will get back to work when my current sick note runs out in 2 weeks so will probably need another. I think I will have to go back to work when 6 months is up regardless. I won't get sick pay after that. I hope you continue to improve and loose that limp soon ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
    • Posted

Hi Nellie. Good, get some asap. I met a work colleague a couple of days ago and he said the same thing. I could have wrapped my stick around his neck. Doing a 40 minute limping walk is very different from a 10 mile postal delivery. They just don't get it. Best of luck to you, let me know how you get on ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.