Acid Indigestion and Sensitive Stomach since childhood

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered from heartburn and indigestion since childhood.  At night, I am frequently awakened by relflux and belching. Will belch in the morning, but not necessarily experience heartburn.  When there is "heartburn" it is confined to the top of my stomach, just under the breastbone.

I use antacids, but have recently switched to over the counter PPIs.  I don't take them on a regular basis, as I am worried about long term usage side effects. 

Have lived with this conditio all my life, so wondering if I am just unlucky, and what exactly these symptoms are?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi susie74530

Go to your doc and request a HPylori test. It is a common bacteria that lives in the stomach and causes acid reflux and digestion problems. It can be done via stool test, breath test or endoscopy. If it is positive for HP it can be treated with antibiotics....best wishes...

• Posted

Many thanks.  Is this something that would have have been present in a pre teenager, do you think?
    • Posted

Hi susie74530

You can get HPylori at a young age it is usually picked up from parents and family members.....

• Posted

That is very odd.  From age about 13 months, I was raised by my aunt who was a matron at a hospital.  And, from age 6 - 7 years in a boarding school.  Could have picked it up there, but it was a very expensive school, doesn't mean that the kitchens and other facilities were up to standard though.  Father was an architect and mother was a senior civil servant.   Sister was younger by 18 months, and a non sufferer.  Limited contact with other family members: i.e. aunts and uncles.
    • Posted

Hi susie74530

Your reply to me has to be moderated...but if I were you i would have a HPylori test just to rule it out....its worth getting it done just in case you have it and it can be dealt with antibiotics.....best wishes for a speedy diagnosis.....

• Posted

Hi susie74530

I did say 'usually' that means not always. Having looked at your background I think its fair to say that HPylori can be picked up whatever your background it is not particular whom it contaminates. Pupils at your boarding school, patients at your aunts hospital, employees at your parents employment may have been carriers. Anyone is a potential host for HP......

• Posted

Many thanks, Lilian, for the feedback.  Going further into the background:

Father was an architect, and other than his bookkeeper, was pretty much on his own, unless with clients, and this was mostly rebuilding, post war.  My Mother, if she had picked up the infection, would have been long before 1939, when, as was pretty much always the case, she left her employment when she married. She had her own office and staff, as she worked at the upper level with clients such as T.E.Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)  and Ivor Novello.  My aunt was a Matron during WW1, and during the time that she looked after me, would have been with the help of a Nanny and other household staff. Recognise that this along with many other infections, crosses all generations, etc., but it is strange that if I should have this virus, I am the only family member, as post war, we were either togther as a family during holiday time, or in boarding school, with not history amongst the rest of the pupils or staff.  Had there been an outbreak of this sort, immediate medical help would have been brought in from outside.  

My feeling is that this is a genetic disorder, and not a disease, virus or other bacterial infection.  I have found that the PPIs keep the ove production of stomach acid in check.   Have an appointment with my GP in about ten days, and will address this issue with her further at that time.  It does need to be sorted out, if possible, and if there is something amiss, it would need to be remedied, as I am having to go through with major surgery in a couple of months.

If I have picked up something it would be sheer fluke, I think.

• Posted

Hi susie74530

HPylori can be contracted via faecal matter,

contaminated water also from animals and not always humans. It is a common anaerobic gut bacteria and affects 100's of people and animals. I have studied HP at university.

I replied initially to your discussion because you mentioned the exact symptoms of HP. I replied in an effort to help you with your suffering. Obviously, it is entirely up to you whether you want to test for HP. As previously mentioned there are no particular circumstances whereby one can be contaminated with HP there are various ways for the pathogen to infect you and enter your gut..I sincerely hope you can get to the bottom of your problem ....best wishes..ciao.....

• Posted

That's interesting!  At the rear of our property, there are a couple of takeaways.  I have observed the kitchen employees throwing buckets o,f I don't  know what, onto the grass on the other side a footpath that leads down to the canal.  The more severe symptoms seem to have occurred since the Indian restaurant/takeway opened about eight years ago.  The employees were also observed blowing their noses onto the grass and then wiping their hands on their aprons.  That was enough for me.  I do not order take away food ever, much less "ready meals."   It was closed at the end of March/April and been decontiminated.  The symptoms remain, but in a milder form.

I think what this boils down to are two separate issues.  A sensitive stomach with too much acid forming, and very possibly, I picked up HP. or similar in recent years from the Indian takeway.  I have a Maine Coon cat, and she is a hunter, so it is highly possible that she has accessed their bin store area, and the grass in front of it, and then brought it back into my home.  There have been rats and other vermin.  

I have contacted our local council - Wiltshire and they have refused to correspond other than to state that the area has been decontaminated.  They have never been particularly cooperative on this and other matters.  Strategy is to silence and marginalise complainants.   I had flagged this situation to them several times over the years, and was ignored.  

Know nothing of HP, have heard of amoebas being picked up in the middle east, etc., but have mostly concentrated my research into genetic digestive tract issues or ulcers, etc. 

I will run this past my GP when I see her in ten days.

• Posted

Hi susie74530

That would be a good idea! If your doc suggest a HPylori test take it. Remember a blood test is not reliable for HP. Any one of the other tests are reliable to detect HP (breath test, stool test, endoscopy).

Keep us posted .....

• Posted

Hiatus hernia is a common cause and although often associated with middle age it can be a congenital condition. Have you ever been offered an endoscopy (gastroscopy) to investigate whether you have a hiatus hernia? This is when part of the stomach squeezes up into the chest through an opening in the diaphragm. Acid leaks through the gap and burns the tissues of the oesophagus. As you are aware, the usual treatment is with PPIs but there can be risks with long term use so it's worth exploring which foods trigger the heartburn. I find chocolate is the worst offender.
    • Posted

I have had this condition since childhood and always had a sensitive stomach.  Born during WW2, I threw up when given my first piece of chocolate, a banana or orange, etc.  HPylori has been suggested, but I do not fit within the profile of the typical sufferer.  I have done a fair amount of research and there is not really any condition into which my symptoms fit in totality.  Am using PPIs spasmodically and they relive the condition, but am reluctant to use thrm long term because the jury seems to be out on their long term side effects.

Had barium meal exray at around 20 years, and found that there was no ulcerative condition, other than an angy looking stomach, or so I was informed.

Mother com[lained that she had very intense heartbutn whilst carrying me, but no mention of this with my younger sister.  I believe it may be a genetic condition.

• Posted

Hi susie74530

You do fit the critereria for a HPylori sufferer....its main symptom is acid reflux heartburn, indigestion and pain. Overtime HPylori can cause stomach ulcers. I think you will be doing yourself a good deed if you get tested for HP.....as I said just to rule it out....best wishes.....

• Posted

Sounds like same thing I've gone through since childhood in my teenage years was told I had a nervous stomach. Bananas chocolate certain things to do it to me as well for the past 8 months I have had a slight pressure in my stomach area had all the CTS and blood work but yes I do have the long term side effects of using GPS and possibly not up taking certain nutrients like iron b12 and folate so I'm battling that now trying to figure it out myself I think I'm going to get a food allergy test done. Funny thing is I can get away with milk chocolate every once in awhile just not too much it's the dark chocolate there really gets me as well as white breads in too much starch or sugar
    • Posted

GPS SUPPOSED TO BE PPI's
    • Posted

It is possible that I may have a food allergy.  I drink a lot of milk - semi skimmed.  I avoid fatty foods, eat a lot of fish, avoidd bacon, as much as possible, although when I dohave it, it is cooked American style, dry and crisp and drained between paper towels.  I now have no trouble with chocolate or bananas, etc.  My reaction to those was when they started reappearing in the shops after WW2.  I do remember that my Mother took me to Boots, and I bought a product made, by a well known bedtime drinks company, which was an antacid.  I took one, and upon chewing my way through it, felt very nausesous, and my Mother said that I turned a "funny colour."  So my guess is that I produce too much acid and have a vey sensitive stomach, rather than some sort of viral or bacterial infection, pretty much from birth! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.