Acid Reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I wanted to know if anyone is experiencing any symptons that I do.. i'm 23 and I suffer with a really bad heartburn sometimes I get it really bad.. then after I eat somethig heavy my stomach hurts as welll. I get sour taste in my mouth. Also, I get really lightheaded and I feel like I need to yawn to get a breath in. I dont know what this could be? I have really bad anxiety because of it. I am on Ranitidine but it odnt seem to help me. Im so depresedsad i cant function like i used tosad can anyone help me? My doctor says its gerd/reflux.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I recently had the nissen fundoplication surgery 7 weeks ago to be exact and never had any signs of heartburn until now. It's very mild but now get it from time to time. I feel your pain with lightheadiness and anxiety because as it seems now I feel like I am anxious. I have had some anxiety issues in the past but had overcome them for years until now. I have slight tightest in my chest and back palpitations sometimes and glittery feeling but this can also be attributed to the healing process since my diaphragm was worked on as well.have you heard of a hiatal hernia or been tested for one?

Jennifer

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer for replying. Oh god, how long were you in hospital for? No never had hiatal hernia testing.. ia it dangerous?
    • Posted

Left untreated for years I guess it could be. I have read on this forum about people having severe gerd and heartburn and later testing shows a small sliding hiatal hernia, for me I had none of these symptoms when I went to the emergency room for suspected gallbladder issues. After many tests CT scan, ultrasound, x ray and barium swallow mine was discovered and had surgery in less than an hour. My esophagus had a hole and my stomach was moving up in it and started to slightly twist. I know an endoscope can also be useful in detecting this and barrettes as well. I would push for one.

Jennifer

• Posted

My problems started about 5 months ago when I finished treatement anemia. I dont know what to do tbh. Im gonna ask my doctor for an endoscopy. Anxiety hits me really bad sometimes I feel like imgonna diesad
    • Posted

I can relate. As I have been reading on this forum gerd/heartburn all the symptoms have a direct impact on anxiety. I too suffer from anemia from time to time and require iron. Just go forward with pushing for endoscope and if it is a hiatal hernia get all your information and make a decision if surgery is right for you. I was in the hospital for three days and off work 2 weeks. I had a clear liquid diet for over two weeks and still can't eat like before. Full recovery usually is between 6 months to a year. I am still recovering at seven weeks.

Jennifer

• Posted

Hi carolina

So sorry to hear your suffering. Your so young as well to be suffering with this awful condition. You must see a gastro doc and have an endoscope to see what is going on. I would recommend you have colonscopy too at same time. Get it all over and done with in one hit. Ask gastro to test for celiac disease. You must rule out food allergies and intolerances. You must find out if u have hiatal hernia as that can cause heartburn. You should also be tested for parasites and helicobactor pylori. In the mean time. Avoid all food triggers: choc, alcohol, caffeine, citrus, spicy. Lowering carbs and sugars helps as well plus elevating bed if u suffer at night. Dgl licorice is great too. Ive also tried d limonene which i believed helped. Some people get really good results with this. I wouldnt advise ppis unless you have really bad stomach ulcers. Try to research good gastro in your area. If nothung else works you could consider linx managememt system where they insert magnet around LES muscle which helps it close properly. If sleeping is a problem you could try melatonin. This can also help strengthen the LES muscle.

You must control your stress levels as well. This is teally important.

God bless hun

Dominique

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.