Acid Reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. ..new to the board.

I have had acid reflux over the years and also H Pylori. I have been taking Prantopozole on and off since around 2012..come off them as soon as I feel better.

About 2 months ago start feeling sick again and about 1 month ago it worsen, I think as a result of taking antibiotics and also potassium pills.

Before just had abdominal and a bit of chest pain. Now I have both as well as chest pressure so bad it feels like I am going to have a heart attack. I also have burning sensation in my chest and throat and it feels like something is stuck in my throat and upper chest.

Have been to emergency several times in the past month. I have an endoscopy scheduled for this Friday.

I am of course worried about cancer. The Pantaloc 40mg doesn't seem to work so well. The emergency doctor did say I should be taking it twice daily instead of once but need to discuss with my family doctor.

To be honest don't want to go that route so have been supplementing with Gaviscon Tablets.

I suppose I am wondering how l long will it take before it gets better.

I should mention that ftom this week I have only been eating bread, oatmeal with 0%milk & almond slivers and raisins. I also eat sardines in spring water mixed with cucumbers. Also bananas.

I am willing to change my diet if I can get this to go away and come off the PPIs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I've been to ER several times also with Reflux symptoms and been told by doctor there to go from 20 to 40 mg a day of the Pantaprazole. Didn't do any good however so I went back down to 20. Feel sick every single day with many many different symptoms. It's scary to think of cancer but I highly doubt it's what you have since this disease has so many symptoms and can make you feel horrible 24/7.

I find that with me certain foods however do seem to make it worse .. as well as being under stress. It's funny you mention eating bread though because that is one of the things that does make mine worse.

Let us know how the endoscopy goes.

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your response..I am still trying to determine my food triggers.

I forgot to mentioned that I suffer from bloating....unfortunately lots of food seems to cause it too. Stress is also one of the culprits.

One thing that seems to help the burning is drinking water or I should say one of my triggers is if I don't drink enough water.

Will let you know about the endoscopy.

• Posted

Hi angels kiss

I too am fairly new to this forum and like u hoping for reassurance I have a hiatus hernia which didn't cause any trouble till 8 weeks ago when I started to get heartburn and bad back pain in shoulder blades I had endoscopy in jan as doc wanted to check for celiac disease due to me having bad bowel and abdominal pain but nothing showed I have been on 40mg twice a day of emesoprazel but I actually feel worse I am terrified it's something bad in my osphagus even terrified to have another endoscopy but I will have to

Life is horrible every day so let's just hope and pray things get better for

anyone suffering from this torture

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I also have the pain between the shoulder blades. Abdominal pain and terrible pressure sent me to ER this past Sunday do I can understand what you are going through. I also get very bad Palpitations from certain foods or if I am full.

It has been a horrible few months for me compounded by the fact that on one on my ER visits they said I have possible Pulmonary Edema. I went because of pressure on my chest and I told then of the acid reflux ftom the night before.

The strange thing is I had just had a round of ECG, Echo, Stress Test and they found PVCs but other than that my heart is ok.

After they said possible Edema Iv went b on Lasix for 1 week which was a bad idea. I should have waited to see my Cardiologist first and asked for a second xray. Anyway my Cardiologist ordered another Echo and my heart appears to be ok so now have to do a CT Scan to check my arteries.

All these problems started after I had a very bad flu in Feb which sent my hypothyroidism into hyperthyroidism and had to lower my meds.

I really didn't realize that acid reflux could cause do many issues until recently or I would have taken it more seriously over the years.

• Posted

Tks for reply angelkiss

Do u have a hernia not sure if u said or not I do have one and like u I wish I had taken more care of what I was eating all along at moment I have very little interest in food and am afraid of loosing weight also feel so tired all the time

Really wishing u well and hoping to hear how u get on

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Thanks and don't know if I have a HH...was never diagnosed and in in fact want aware of it until I started researching Gerd over the last 2 weeks.

All the best everyone...hope you all feel better.

Will keep you posted.

AK

• Posted

Kate I forgot to mentioned that I lost 10 lbs and I wasn't overweight. I still have some appetite but just afraid to eat.

I am use to the tiredness because of hypothyroidism.

Just really which the Acid Reflux would go away.

Reading this board and seeing what others experienced had helped to put it into perspective.

• Posted

Yes AK there is great comfort in talking to others with same probs

As I type my tummy won't stop gurgling so I guess I'm in for another dose of diarhea I'm soooooo sick of it all also forgot to say I have constant low grade sore throat and get hoarse on and off all too scary

Talk soon

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I have tummy gurgle but no diarrhea. ..more constipation. Have you taken anything for the diarrhea?

I have a low grade sore throat so I gargle with warm salt water. Not sure it helps but I figure it can't hurt either.

Take care and hang in there.

Praying for you.

AK

• Posted

Something wasn't quite right w/ my bowel movements, so I bought some probiotic and acidophilus pills.  I have been surprised how things have improved.  Mentioned what I had done to the physician's assistant involved with my last endoscopy, and she said she recommends using those.  

Check with your doctor, and your mileage may vary, but it may be worth a try.

• Posted

Hi Torpedo,

Thanks and yes I take probiotics but not very consistently. Have started again. Also user to take Acidophilus and was just thinking I should again.

AK

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

How are you all doing?

Did the gastroscopy and the doctor said he didn't see anything so that great news. I am now waiting on the results os the H Pylori test.

In the meantime my stomach seems to have started healing but still have some pain and a lot of pressure which is really uncomfortable. I just have to be mindful of sticking ith good eating habits, etc.

I am hoping that once I am much better I can start to wean myself off the Pantaloc.

AK

• Posted

Hi AK this is all good news

I too had my endoscopy last Thursday and he said gastritis and a little inflammation but not concerned

I was relieved i am still suffering with mild sore throat and some hoarness I wish it wud all stop

Kate

• Posted

Hello Kate,

Thanks and glad to hear yours is not too bad either.

Are you sticking with a particular diet? I went off my diet because I was feeling a bit better but that was a bad idea.

Try gargling with some warm salt water to see if it helps.

Anyway hope you feel better soon...take care.

AK

• Posted

Hi AK

Nice to hear back from u

I'm trying to stay away from acidic foods but have lots of gland and throat pain aswell as sore throat

Just hope it's not something new starting I can't tell u how sick I am if doctors scopes and scans its ongoing since last April I've spent a fortune

U say u changed ur diet I think we are not allowed do that at all things slip back to being unbearable very quickly I take slippery elm and probiotic vit e and b multivitamin every day I'm hoping all this is helping

Feel good soon and hope u keep in touch

Kate

• Posted

Hi AK

How are u feeling hope things are good for u

I'm still pretty bad with painful glands all around my neck and face still have raw throat but my stomach is much better so I'm putting that down to probiotics which I take every day it's so good not to have burning stomach or diarhea I'm seeing my ent on Monday hopefully he will say gland pain is not serious

Wishing u well

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Glad to hear your stomach is feeling better. Mine has starated acting up again. Have the pressure in my stomach, pain and a bit of coughing. I am also having bad heart palpitations again.

I need to get back to a strict diet and not eat food not good for me 😊

Thanks fot checking in. Wishing you well too and hope you continue to improve.

Have a great weekend 😊

AK

• Posted

Tks AK

It's nice to have someone to follow thru with sorry ur tummy is not so go hope u have luck with probiotic

I'm in south of Ireland by the way often wonder where ur at

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Thanks and I am originally from the Jamaica but live in Canada.

AK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.