Acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, this is just a warning. A few weeks ago I have very bad chest pains? I had to go hospital twice and have two ECG scans within two weeks. It was after I ate especially spicy foods so I didn't eat near enough anything for two week. I went to sleep so annoyed every night thinking I suffered acid reflux. All my symptoms matched. Last week the pains faded and I decided to eat spicy food. I had no pain. I slowly started eating my junk food again and had no pains whatsoever. All I'm trying to say is make sure you're 100% certain you have acid reflux because mine was due to a virus going around and had nothing to do with acid reflux.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

really ? i felt like that too last summer, i had a hot dog with mustard and i ate some rice with pepper. OMG my stomach was on fire, it felt like that was a fire burning in my stomach. I went to go drink cold water and 10 minutes later i satrted puking, ever since then i been so scared too eat anything spicy etc. I had symptoms of acid relfux back in summer, now i've just been getting pain, sticking , jabbing, and dull pain in my chest and stomach. I went to my GP/GI and now im doing an tube test.....soooo hopefully they find something.

• Posted

I had the burning in my throat it was disgusting but I'm glad it only lasted two weeks. Mine is because of this cold weather in the UK it is symptoms to the illness but I hope you find your problem very smile sounds very painful

• Posted

You know, I am sorry to be a naysayer, but trying to blame symptoms that would, frankly, have me pretty worried on anything but acid reflux or heartburn is just kind of silly to me.  I have always had a problem with acid burning and anything that tamps down that acid makes me feel better.  Your body tells you when something is not agreeing, and these medicines do help, maybe not omeprazole types but the acid reducers that help you feel better are certainly better than suffering.  I never heard of a virus giving you intense chest pain.  Again, sorry, not trying to be argumentative, but take something if you feel that bad.  
    • Posted

It was just the cold don't worry. I felt a cold chest pain in my chest spicy food just made t worse. The hospitals and doctors told me it is nothing to worry about. I still took omeprazole which helped me a lot, also my cats fur made it worse I think

• Posted

You did the right thing" go to a hospital instead of jumping to conclusion is heartburn and taking PPI's"   PPI's can help. but taking them without knowing for sure you need them is wrong.  Even Doctors misdiagnose people every single day loading them with PPI's when they actually do not need them.

• Posted

That's so true, doctors can only assume what you have, they can't really know for sure unless they do further test to investigate. I personally don't believe in pills/tablets/antibiotic, Eating right and looking after yourself is the way to go.....But yeah for sure doctors do misdiagnose people, then again they're just trying to help in a way too.

• Posted

Too many people propagate the myth that spicy food is bad for reflux. If this was so, the Indian subcontinent would have the highest rate of acid reflux related disorders in the word instead of, until recently, amongst the lowest.

We probably think spicy foods will burn as we feel their heat at the back f the throat when eating. If we have oesophagitis, we may feel it as the food passes over it (like pouring lemon juice on an open cut) but it is not actually causing harm. In fact, the curcumin has been shown to have a possible beneficial effect.

The charity I founded and chair, Barrett's Wessex, actually holds an annual curry evening which was initiated by one of our top consultant gastroenterologists. (This year, we're holding it on (Heart) Burns Night! )

• Posted

All I know is, Christmas Eve, I ate just a portion of a breakfast pizza with a spicy salsa on it, and the rest of the day I was miserable.  That was the day I not only took rantinidine, but ended up taking a 20 mg dose of omeprazole, just to stop the burning.  Maybe the concept is there, as you say, but for me, I avoid spicy these days.
    • Posted

In the days when I experienced raging heartburn, it was the pizza dough that was one of my particular triggers.

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor and ranitidine is a Histamine H2 receptor antagonist. Both are drugs to reduce the production of acid and need to be taken pre-emptively to reduce acid. Taking them once the acid has been produced is like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

If you experience the burning sensation after having just eaten, you need to use an antacid like Tums or, better, an alginate like Gaviscon to neutralise the excess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.