Acid reflux getting worse

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone

Last year I was diagnosed with disfunctional dyspepsia and the year before that I was told I had IBS although tablets I was given for the IBS didn't really improve much so I stopped taking them. The problem is this, my acid reflux and gut problems are getting worse and are affecting my psychologically.

Originally for the acid I was prescribed 30mg of Lansoprozole once a day and although it did improve my symptoms I didn't feel 100%. I had an endoscopy and the doctor said everything looked normal (his suggestion was to ignore the symptoms!?!?) and so I remained on the Lansoprozole and after a few months they lowered my dosage to 15mg a day, to take another if I felt I needed to. So I try to keep to 15mg a day but this doesn't really work.

Today I didn't take one first thing like I usually do as I stayed away last night and this afternoon I've felt terrible. My insides from the stomach down just burn its like they're on fire!

I'm stuck as to what to do now. I'm only 22 and feel like my life is just being ruined by this stupid 'disease'. I can't eat the foods I like, drinking alcohol is a no go and now even non-suspect foods set me off. I'm fed up of feeling ill constantly and now get in such a flap about it all. Sometimes I panic and my throat just seems to close up.

Is it worth going back to the doctor? I just get the impression they'd rather just throw some drugs in your face rather than get to the bottom of things. But feeling ill is getting me down and I'm turning into a hypochondriac!

Does anyone know what to suggest or also have these symptoms? Sorry for the essay! Thanks for any help

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'd change GPs, you are being treated like a mushroom sad Yeah I've been given Antidepressants a few times, last time was a few months ago, ended up telling my GP I wasn't interested smile

I don't understand why you aren't being sent copies of the Consultants letters, I thought being sent copies was a standard thing confused

But as I say, change GP, get away from the stack em high GP practices and find a much smaller friendly one smile Yeah if it's got more than 10 seats in the waiting room avoid the practice like the plague :D

• Posted

Gee thanks for reply. Will ask surgery if i can have copy of his letter when asking for 2 blood results and see how they respond. The hospital will not send copies. The medical records did not include them.
    • Posted

You should be copied into all your hospital letters from all drs there when they are writting to your gp. It is ur legal right to have that information. Ask them nxt time you go at reception an in drs room that you want copies of all letters sent to ur gp an it will be noted on ur file an u will have to also sign a form conseting urself to be signed in. Ive been getting all letters sent to my gp from hospital for past 6yrs an im from halifax n under st james leeds an crh calderdale royal so not far from manchester. Really dnt understand why you havnt recieved copies. I even get copies of my xrays n mri results ect defo ask to be copied in dnt let them fob you off. X
  • Posted

Grrr evil Which City is this ??? Here in North Birmingham I've been sent copies of every letter confused
  • Posted

Manchester MRI
  • Posted

And I was thinking my Consultant / Hospital (Good Hope, Sutton Coldfield) were a bit crap,, I must remember to count my blessings :D :[
  • Posted

Hi have you been tested for helicobacter pylori , did they do a biopsy when you had your endoscopy , to test for this ,you may have this bacterial infection of the stomach lining ,ask your gp for the test , you need to be off certain drugs for the stool test , but this is a reliable method of confirmation , if you are positive ,you can have a triple therapy of antibiotics to clear the infection , it's worth checking out ,It may be the answer

Hope this helps good luck Helen

• Posted

I was 2007 when had endoscopy, 11 months later had results was diagnosed coeliac. Failed colonoscopy july last year. after that I requested protem pump meds end july. No other tests. Think actually dont think know gp hasnt realised how bad I have been ...not bothered much now as rabeprazole 20mgs have helped Saw hospital dr 17th last month apparently his letter of advice has arrived and presc., awaiting my pick up at surgery hospital said no tests required. So no use me asking. I am mid seventies and pretty toughfor my age. May be doctors think i am a winging old dear. Dont go see gp unless necessary, a lot is put on computer whilst i am there but little or nothing said to me. ( laughable) NEXT TIME this happens I am definately going to ASK what he is putting down. Vit b12 due in June so dont expect to bother gp till then (nurse dosnt give inj) Was really poorly re burning sensation etc about 15mths until I realised their treatment was no good and myself asked for rabeprazole as I was desperate. I had to pester the dietition for me to get help via (so called gastologist) he just asked how many motion I had (one ) daily then no advice put me on waiting list for colonoscopy. seven mths wait. Said enough now. But you must remember it seems like to some I am an old dear, so they can say anything suitable to my age. THANKS helen40 for your reply. If I ask I will be put down as neurotic.
  • Posted

At last have cholesterol results 6.4 and copy of liver test which dont understand. Also gave increased meds to twice day, Rabeprazole 20mg for 3 mths. BUT said letter from hospital not arrived yet. strange as how did they know to increase meds. .I didnt query it as dont want friction.
  • Posted

Hi justfixme, Just wondering how you are managing. Hope you are making headway. I had to laugh when the doctor suggested you ignore the symptoms. This as you are aware is imposible and really gets to you. At times I was pacing up and down the lounge as it was so bad. Better for me as lots older than you, must be really awful at your age when doctors dont seem to understand or help enough. I eventually went onto soya milk which has eased things so far also lactose free. Not troubled with the terrible burning at moment. Its hard to get doctors to understand just how uncomfortable it is, as if you look alright to them it cant be so bad. Anyway would like to know just how your treatment is progressing, for the better I hope. Keep strong.
  • Posted

ask your docter if you can try omeprazloe caps at 20mg they really help with mine
  • Posted

Hi lumpy, Thanks for info. Had omeprazole 10 yrs ago and was switch to Rabeprazole which only needed few weeks (prior coeliac) Heaps better than I was, so just carrying on now and hope if lucky it clears up. Seem to be on right track now. Found out lots have similar troubles which makes it easier for me to understand.
  • Posted

Hi folks it is a while since I posted a reply , I am just about cured from my helicobacter and gastritis , I couldnt take omeprazole this made me really worse, I have got myself better through diet , homeopathic remedies , aloe Vera juice , fruit , veg , I advocate anyone to try these ,and try and ditch some of the meds you may be taking ,you can do it , try the joe de livera website , abc homeopathy website , for advice on what to take for gastiritsi , nat phos is what I am taking , it's hard , don't get me wrong , but there are natural ways to heal your body , try slippery elm , reiki , chakra balancing ,meditation , walking , live yogurts , Prebiotics , probiotics et ,, I am an holistic therapist so , I am a bit anti western meds , but I did take the triple therapy to kill the helicobacter , have faith guys , you can get there , I am now enjoying the odd latte , cream bun etc etc , the body has a amazing capacity to heal itself , Give it time ,mbe good to yourself , your body is a temple
  • Posted

Hi Helen, Gave up meds and continued soya then lactose free, did take apple cider vinigare few times. Making good progress, even had some free from Tesco ready meals. Take half packet Movicol when required. Very little discomfort now mainly non at all its fantastic. On hindsight cannot understand why Dietition, gp, gastro clinic didnt suggest to try lactose free and dairy free. Its taken others to guide me. Also have started multi vit tablets, so all seems to be going ok at last, after over 18 plus months of hell.
  • Posted

Great to hear you are aking some progress , try the homepathic meds too , dont eat mints though if you try this option as it cancels out the remedy , try new era tissue salts Nat phos , or combination e tissue salts , holland and barrett

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.