Acid reflux/indigestion/heartburn... and irregular bowel movements... HELP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been having promblems with heart burn and indigestion for a couple of months now, and for a while problems with my bowel movements have flared up. My BMs are soft, foul smelling, more frequent and sometimes have visible mucus. I don't know what to do, I'm really worried there's something wrong with my bowels. Or if my bowels have been acting up because I've been on and off meds for acid.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Suggest going to your GP and seeking a colonescopy.  If you are over 50 you should be able to have this as a matter of urgent course (given that your symptoms have persisted for over six weeks.)  That would allow you to have it done within a two week time frame.  I had one done just over a week ago - and although everything appeared fine - they took mulitple biopsies as the doctor suspected that I might have microscopic colitis.  Awaiting those results.  My symptoms were very much in order with yours.  In any case, good luck, louise65183.  
    • Posted

I'm only 22. I'm getting really worried. I tried to explain the symptoms to my doctor last week but he just gave me meds for the indigestion/acid reflux sad
  • Posted

That is a tricky situation, Louise.  I do feel for you.  So difficult to know how to stear within the system.  I'm sure others here will have good advice for you.  All best wishes. 
  • Posted

Hi Louise, I know that IBS can cause excess mucous and stool changes. I don't think you should worry too much. If it persists then you have to have a talk with your gp and ask to be referred for a colonoscopy - just for your own peace of mind if nothing else. 

As for acid meds, when I first started mine I had terrible trouble - very similar to yours. 

As I said , try not to worry too much but done persistent if you are not happy. smile 

• Posted

putting aside the issue of whether the meds did anything, one thing to look into at your age would be inflammatoyr bowel disorders- like Chrons or colitis. There's a blood test for a "chron's panel". there's also non-invasive testing of stools for a substance that begins with a C (i forget its name) that is present in inflammatory bowel disorders.

other thing to check is pancreatic functioning (again NON invasively) - stool sample for elastace or blood tests I think, and the usual- make suer you don't have H-Pylori (simple stool or blood test), stool test for ova and parasites. and of course who knows what the meds do. i find alot of folk (myself included) have both upper and lower GI symtpoms and its hard to know what'/s primary and what's secondary- docs seem much more reluctant to admit they go together and seem to want to treat each sepeartely.

• Posted

Hello Louise, I have been having the same symptoms as you and I too have been very worried. I am curious as to what your diagnosis was? I am also 22. My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist, but my appointment is not until May.
    • Posted

I'm having the same issues as you and I'm 28. I go to my doctor but she gives me no real concrete answers nor does she look concerned about my issue but I've had it for 1 year and more and more symptoms keep arising. I Google my symptoms and this forum showed up. I was curious did you find out what you have?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.