ACL & LCL post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

7 weeks ago I had ACL & LCL ligaments repaired. I have to wear a knee brace 24/7

Yesterday as I was coming in from the garden my foot got stuck on the step and I felt agonising pain at the back of my knee.

I nearly fell over but managed to grab the door handle

The back of my knee still hurts. I've kept it in my full leg brace

What is the best thing to do?

I'm not due to see my consultant or physio until 2nd June

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would just rest as much as possible (easier said then done I know lol). Is it swollen anymore then before? If so ice it and take ibuprofen - if you can. If it isent any better by Tuesday see if you can see your GP or ring your consultant
    • Posted

Thank you Trants for your reply. I've been resting on my bed as much as possible.

When I go to the bathroom the back of my knee is quite painful still. I am on plenty of pain relief but it's not working as yet. I cannot take Ibuprofen.

i will see how I am on Tuesday

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I am no expert, but recommend that if you can, to get some expert advice.

Go to your doctor or call your consultant and explain what happened.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thankyou Al

I will ring my doctor and consultant secretary on Tuesday

• Posted

Rest elevate and ice the entire knee. If it worsens you may have to get to an emergency room before your reg appt. True case of being better off safe than sorry.
  • Posted

Your brace should have protected you. Keep your leg elevated as much as possible and try not to worry too much
  • Posted

I had ACL and LCL surgery 7 weeks ago. I still wear a knee brace and will do for another 5 weeks.

I was involved in a car accident where our car engine set on fire on the motorway and I was rushed up the grass embankment to a place of safety, then later I had to climb in a recovery truck.

Later that day I was coming in from my garden when my foot got caught on the low step. 

I felt a sharp twang of agonising pain as I almost fell down. Since then I cannot put weight down on my foot and I have pain at the back of my knee and pains shooting up the back of my leg. I think I've pulled my hamstring. I was told after the op that my surgeon had to use more than usual of my hamstring to fix my knee.

As its Bank Holiday I have to wait 4 days until I can speak with my Physio and out patients

I am bed resting with my full leg brace on. I think that's all I can do for now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.