Actemra (Tocilizumab) - fantastic results in the first month

Posted , 18 users are following.

I started self-injecting Actemra 4 weeks ago. My PMR was still very active despite 10mg of pred and 20mg MTX.

My CRP was sitting at 20 and not budging (yes, I know it's not awful, but it's not wonderful either lol).

Three weeks after starting the Actemra injections, my CRP is ONE!!

Yep - ONE!!! It hasn't been below 16 since diagnosis!

And I'm feeling well!!! I've even managed to get through my daughter's drama filled wedding and not fall in a big heap!

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement!

For more information you can try Googling "tocilizumab" and "remission" to get some quite readable articles on the early trials of using Actemra to treat PMR.

1 like, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is just fantastic news! Monoclonal antibodies are wonderful things. I had Rituximab for a blood complaint and it put me into remission for 12 years and I had it again three years ago and I am hoping for another 12 years. This seems to be the way medicine is going and is so less destructive than other treatments. I wish you well for many, many years.
  • Posted

Wow, your experience sounds promising. Im going g to try and get on a clinical trial if one exsists in Spain...PMR is not as prevelant in tbe South of Europe.

Hope your spectacular improvement sustains , thank you for sharing.

• Posted

The Phase 3 trial is finished apart from the long term follow-up to get some idea of how long the remission lasts so I'm fairly sure there are no trials recruiting at present. They were only for biopsy-proven GCA anyway. There have been a couple of tiny pilot studies in the USA with PMR patients - I assume driven by the company so getting funding is likely to be very difficult for PMR elsewhere. 

• Posted

What wonderful news, FlipDover!  TCZ  has certainly been looking very promising for those with GCA and, if it also proves successful for PMR, then whoopee!  Your experience is more proof perhaps of just how close PMR and GCA actually are along the vascular spectrum....or how many cases of diagnosed PMR are actually GCA!  Stay well!smile  

• Posted

what exactly is actemra, and what is it suppose to do for pmr, i have been on 20 mg since beg of nov, and am still having symptons , shoulder especially, sometimes buttocks and hamstrings, insomnia etc, my rheumy been away 2 weeks, not back for another week, do want to ask her about this
    • Posted

If you google tocilizumab as Flipdover suggested you will get the information.  It is a very expensive drug which has not yet been approved for general use in treating PMR mostly I suspect because it costs hundreds if not thousands of times more than pred.

You should wait to find out what your definitive diagnosis is, at least as much as your rheumatologist will be able to determine when you've got that pred dose down.

Tocilizumab (brand name Actemra) is used for RA and has recently proven helpful in clinical trials for treating GCA.

• Posted

Have you stopped prednisone and mtx and just on Actemra. How long do you stay on Actemra or do you wran off it to.

Mariane

• Posted

I'm still on 20mg MTX, but I suspect I'll be stopping that after my next consultation with the Rhuemy. I'm dropping pred at .5mg a week (my decision) with no side effects. Currently down to 5.5mg daily.

I have no idea how long I'll be on Actemra - the free trial only goes until Sept 2017, so we'll have to see if that pushes me into full remission by then.

• Posted

My dad has gotten approval to start this drug after the first of the year.  I"m praying that it has a similar afect for him and will help him reduce his prednisone.  It is wrecking havoc on his body.

• Posted

Yes, GCA and PMR.  He is in the states, in Ohio.
    • Posted

I was skeptical, but I sincerely hope he has the results I've had so far.

• Posted

I´s so great to hear you are doing well on Actemra. You give hope for many. I wish you all the best in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.