Actiq /Fentanyl Withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I finaly have got an actiq reduction programme from my pain Dr to reduce the dose rather than the quantity of doses per day so start the new regime on Friday so hope it works . Seems to be I was reducing too much to start with. Once of the Actiq then its the Fentanyl patch. Tough times ahead. 

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Slow is the best way.  I will be completely off actiq and fentynal this Friday.  If I can do it after 15 years you can too.  Just take time and reduce slowly.  When you go to reduce patches use scotch tape and mask a portion off wot lower dose every two patches.  If life stressor are heavy stay at same level a month or two.  Most doctors will work with you.  Mine have since it was my idea to come off.  I knew it was no longer reducing my pain but my body was addicted.  Best of luck!
    • Posted

Well done.

Thanks for the words of encouragement i need them.

What dose were you on ?

• Posted

I was up to 125 mcg at one time but I worked down over a few years to the 50 mcg.  Was at that vel for five years.  Have taken 9 months to get to zero.  I would stop depending on what all was going on with my health and the death of my Mother and then father in law.  My doctor has been very happy with my progress.
  • Posted

What is the reducing schedule?
    • Posted

Down to 4 Actiq a day tomorow for 2 weeks.

Then keep at 4 Actiq a day and reduce the dose gradually to lowest dose. Will take 8 weeks.

Then 3 a day

Then 2 a day then 1

Then jump.

Have a rest then start on the Fentanyl Patch which is currently at 50.

WHOOOO

Not bad because I was taking 10 Actiq a day BAD only 8 weeks ago.

• Posted

Posting again because when I see it written down and I read  Melissa's taper programme I know I can do it .

It seems achievable and I am excited about that.

I just cannot wait to be Fentanyl Free. The sooner the better. I have achieved a lot in 8 weeks although it seems like months. It seems to take forever and ever.

• Posted

Sorry Melissa it was Susans Taper programme not yours.

Melissa you start yours in October, if I am of Actiq by then I might start the patch reduction too or might have a rest. We can swap notes then and support each other too.

Susan did increadibly well despite a lot going on in her life. Well done Susan.

• Posted

That is wonderful...keep up the good work.  You have made great progress!  Keep us update good news or bad so we can support each other in this battel!  
  • Posted

that  is wonderful to have your doctor to help guide you.  This medicine is powerful and has to be reduced slowly.  Keep all your appointments so they can monitor your blood pressure and other vitals.  You can do this but it does not come overnight.  If I can do it I know you can.  I depend heavily on God also and he has never given me more than I can bare. 
  • Posted

Its interesting you say keep all the appointments to monitor my vitals as no Dr has done that yet !! I feel they are groping in the dark.

You know more because you have done it and succeeded. If it took you 9 months to reduce from 50 to nil i know what time scale I should look to.

I had thought about 4 months but that was a guestimate. I have the Actiq to beat first. I thought to do that in 4 months. I've halved it in 6 weeks biut struggling a bit now so will slow down.

I am really greatful for your help and advice. 

• Posted

Actiq -

I haven't even started yet. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I'm on 100mcg of Fent every 72 hours. My dr wants me off by Jan starting to trend down in Oct by 25 mcg increments per month. I'm SCARED TO DEATH. If I said keep appts to monitor vitals it's because of the baby. I'm fighting for you from afar. That's it! I haven't started my journey and I'm learning from everyone else. My dr didn't devise the step down plan - I did. Idk if I can even do it!! I have a little medical knowledge but NOT in detox. I did work in Labor & Delivery as an EMT MANY years ago. I worked on an ambulance and ER. But that was long ago. I just want to wrap my heart around you and this baby......,

• Posted

I'm sorry - that wasn't for me-I thought you were writing to me. I didn't see the previous post! ??

• Posted

Hang in there I was addicted for 15 years so it seems to reason it would take me sometime.  I am 60 years young and that has something to do with things.  I do everything slow now days.  Ha aha

Glad to hear you are doing the Actiq first.  You will do this and it doesn't have to be awful.

• Posted

thats ok it is on an open forum for many to see.  That way we don't feel so isolated.  It is amazing how many people in the US are on this medicine.  That is why they call it practicing medicine I suppose.  It took time to realize how much this med is used.  I really don't think it has done anything for my pain in years but I just didn't realize it.

• Posted

I think it has helped my pain. But the plan is, once I get off this medicine I'm going to a pain mgmt dr. My PCP just decided a couple of months ago he was going to stop prescribing narcotics......so....... He referred me to pain mgmt dr and the night before the scheduled appt the pain dr called and said he didn't want to waste my time or his, that he doesn't prescribe the patches period. So, that left me to my own devices.

• Posted

Bless you, what a nightmare.  I had that problem when I first moved to Virginia.  The CDC has put out new directives that have a lot of doctors stopping these prescriptions.  It is very hard on my colon.  That was the main reason I decided to get off and it had stopped helping my pain.  I take physical therapy and steroid injections and that works best to live with my pain for now.  Future unknown.
    • Posted

Hi Melissa,

It seems wires are crossed its Brandyln thats having the baby not me. I've had all my bits and more removed due to cancer and severe radiotherapy damage. I was thought to be terminal as Grade 3c at diagnosis and have defied all the odds, ended up severely disabled and on very high dose Atciq along with the Fentanyl patch. Then my husband  who cares for me died suddenly last year and Drs decided I need to stop the Actiq. Sensative or what.

How lovely it would be to be starting again with a new baby and life ahead of me. Thanks for giving me that thought.

I've got the Fentanyl patch to cope with after the Actiq.

It seems Drs put you on this drug, then the recommendations for it change and they think you can come of it at once with no ill effects. Its sad that you are not getting support from the Drs but you'll get support here. Lots of hugs and good wishes when you start your taper let me know how you do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.