Active at 42 years old, my mother has been diognosed with Osteoarthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

My mother has had pains in her leg and back since the age of 42. She was told it was arthritis but there wasn't anything they could do. She's now 47. for around 6 weeks she's had A LOT of pain in her hips and knees which make it extremely hard to walk. She can just about go to the shop and back but is still extremely painful, and as she starts work In two weeks it's going to be a struggle as sharp can hardly walk without being in a lot of pain. She's always had problems being able to lift her legs and can't open them very wide at all.

My mother is quite slim and she's always walking. She hardly rests and her job requires her to stay on her feet too. At the age of 47, could she really have such a severe case of osteoarthritis? Or could it be something different? Can physiotherapy help? What can she do to get better? I'm really against her being on drugs and she may not be able to have a hip surgery at a young age which I'm fully against anyway.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liam - my thoughts are that whilst arthritis can indeed by very severe and widespread, and also affect anyone of any age, particularly as your mother has a job that requires her to be on her feet a lot, which wears down the joints - it would be my suggestion that she demand further examinations/tests to rule out anything more urgent which may be treatable and give some relief.  We have to be assertive and persistent with doctors these days, they are overworked and under pressure and often blindly attribute increasing symptoms to the original diagnosis without further thought.  Physio definitely can help but is difficult to obtain under the NHS (if youre in the UK) and NHS physios rarely have more than 15 mins with a patient and often dont do any actual therapy, just pass out exercises to be done at home.  Firstly, pester the doctor for more extensive investigations - dont back down.  Secondly if it is OA, contact one or more of the arthritis associations, such as Arthritis Care, who will be able to give better advice and guidance specific to OA than you normally get from the GP.  Hip surgery is a last resort and most doctors recommend leaving it until the latest possible time as joint replacements do wear out in time and may have to be done again if that's a possibility.   If it's OA, there is no cure as such but there are many things that can be done to reduce the affect of the symptoms.  Ask the doctor for a list of organisations you can contact for help.  
  • Posted

This hits the nail on the head " We have to be assertive and persistent with doctors these days,"

Honestly this lady is very poorly and her quality of life is not as it should be I understand that drs are over worked but then they receive a fantastic salary for working the hours they do.  They get extras for giving patients this and that, and companies give dr advice on their products. Come on.  Sorry but I am not in England any more but if I go back i will definitely be more assertive.

Also I think these exercises are on this website, I would be suprised if they are not but it seems that your Mum might find them painful.  Your Mum is quite young to have replacement hips, etc. but if you got to the doctor with her, at least you would be getting down to the problem. Go on, and please let us know how you get on. Us patients should stick together....

Liam, go with your mother to the doctors and yes don't back down.  I have loads of exercises that you can get off the internet but honestly at this moment in time I don't think she should bother to do them, no-one has told her to do so and until she gets referred to a physio I would not think about it.  Physios are a waste of time too, I will not tell you what I was told time and time again.  How does the doctor know she has osteoarthritis, she hasn't had an X ray or MRI so how can he tell. 

When is it " the latest possible time " for hip replacements, I understand what Loxie is saying but at least give the lady some good painkillers.  Not sure whether you can get this over the counter and it goes under another name in Spain its Pazital.  Look at this conversation from ADRsupportUK (been a member for years)

It saved my life from pain for a few years and then they added Lyrica which I don't recommend as it MAY (only may) be addictive.  She really needs something to help with the pain so that would be the first course of action for me and then be very terse with the doctor. 

The post below is very useful but unless you are in the position of real pain you cannot put yourself in someone elses position.

So drs, painkillers and you MUST ask for an MRI or/and X ray.  My doctors seem to have looked at X Rays rather than MRIs.... cheaper option i know but i paid for em.

Let us know how you get on.  Tell her I feel for her. 

• Posted

liam I have just read your message again, leg and back.  mmm go and get that X Ray and MRI (dr will do X Ray as he will say MRIs are too expensive) 
  • Posted

Osteoarthritis can hit at ANY time! My 17 year old neighbor was just diagnosed with it!

A trip to a Rheumotologist can CONFIRM or REFUTE osteoarthritis as they will do extensive blood testing to figure out what us going on.

I was VERY GLAD that I had the blood testing done because it CONFIRMED that MY ARTHRITIS was osteoarthritis.

Different types of arthritis are treated very differently. It is important, in my opinion, to find out the type you have OR if there is something ELSE going on in your body.

Our bodies are complex, and it ALSO is possible that your mom could have several different issues going on all at the same time.

Blood testing will determine the course of action that will best help her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.