Active Surveillance - When to call it a day?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi fellow Prostate friends. I've had some great advice and reassurance from people on this site over the past year so I would appreciate your thoughts on my current situation after the latest Psa result today.

Background - 53 year old man - fit as a fiddle with no symptoms.

Had a PSA 5.7 then 2 weeks later 7 - in Dec 12.

Through 2013, 14 and 15 Psa came down to between 1.7 and 2.2 until 6 months ago when it went to 3.3 then 3 months later 3.4.

I have had two biopsies the first had 1 core out of 12 gleason 3 + 3 T2 and contained within the Prostate. A year later another biopsy which found no cores with Pca out of the 12 samples taken.

I've had 1 MRI 6 months ago which found a small focus of suspected PCa contained.

So today I have been for the three month check and the blood result was 5.7 up from 3.4 twelve weeks ago. I know it's a personal decision but what do people think? I asked the Consultant for advice but they are so non-comital. I have a rising PSa but the MRI was quite positive and the two biposies only found one core out of the 24 they have taken.

I'm thinking of waiting another three months, see what the next Psa resul is, then perhaps another biopsy? and when the time comes Brachytherapy.

A bit confused - again at the moment so I would really like to hear your views?

Is there anyone else in a similar situation with a rasied PSa? How long do you leave it? When do you call it a day? or how long did some of you leave it before having treatment? What factors did you take into consideration because surely a high PSa is only one indication?

many thanks,

Sailor Sam

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam, I dont have Pca but have had all the tests am regarded as high risk and have a six monthly check up.

Two of my friends age late 60s had possitive test results for Pca and both had ebert. 30 sessions. J is now clear after passing the 5 yr mark. T is clear after the 2 yr mark. Both recomended this treatment to me. They are both very active men who report that Ed has been the only problem after their treatment finished. Both canget help in that department if wanted.n This will be my treatment of choice if i need it in the future.

• Posted

Hi Philip, thank you for taking the time to reply. Best wishes on your journey.
    • Posted

Philip: Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an ebert? Do you mean EMRT?
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

​1/ My PSA went up from 5.5 to 6.6 in one month. This was the point when the doctor decided Prostate Biopsy. He believed the PSA was elevated enough and the standard procedure in 2015 is to have biopsy. No symptoms at all. NOTHING.

Since 2012 my PSA went up from 3.8 to 6.6. But nothing else. After that 6.6 I went and I did 2 other PSA test  only two days later and they came 4.4  and 4.9 (this one 4 days later). I realized that 6.6 came after I had sex.

All this time, since 2012 my doctor prescribed antibiotic CIPRO ( 3 weeks ) and always my PSA went down to around 4-4.4.

This is about PSA.

2/ Now, regarding the prostate biopsy which it was done on 12/28/2015. The result came : PROSTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA, Gleason score 6 (3+3) , involving approximately 10% of the 16mm biopsy core , The doctor recommended Active Surveillance . His advice: You don’t have to do anything for now.  

​I am going to wait untill my PSA will go up very fast or I will have symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Cocoroton,

thank you for that, it's very interesting, especially to hear how you are approaching it. Can I ask how old you are?

• Posted

Hi Sam,

​I am 63 and as I've told you in very good health. No prostate symptoms at all.

• Posted

Sam: I can understand your confusion. I wouldn't rely on PSA for anything. Mine has been in the range of 2.5 to 3.5 for a decade. I am 69 years of age and live in Australia. Yet, during a pre-op for a PAE (by an interventional radiologist in Sdyney), the 3T MRI that was carried out came back with PI-RADS 4 from a lesion on the left lobe of the prostate. This indicated the likelihood of carcinoma. A subsequent Tranperineal Fusion Biopsy was carried out, where the MRI is used to guide the needles, and where there is no liklihood of infection as the entry point is between the scrotum and anus, and not the anus itself. This was only a few days ago.

The results gave a Gleason score 8 and you can guess that the first suggestion from the urologist was a radical prostatectomy. I could go on with the rest of the story but your question seems to be about PSA, and I have made my point.  

For anyone in a similar situation, I have been accepted for Proton Beam Therapy at the National Cancer Centre in Korea. The reason I want this is because while the entry dose is high, the exit dose from the prostate is almost zero. Yes, I have spoken with others who have had this treatment and are still alive a few years later.

• Posted

Hi

I am 49 and reasonably fit and well.

I was on AS for since May 2014, PCa, Gleason 6: 3+3, PSA 4.6-5.6. June 2015 PSA went up to 7.6 so had MRI, this showed abnormalities. September 30th, Targeted biopsies revealed Gleason 7: 3+4. 3+3 still there!

30th Oct 2015 Robot Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy.

Dec 8th 2015 PSA undetectable so less than 0.1 However tiny positive margin sad (I am still reading up on this for T2 PCa!)

Jan 19th 2016 PSA still undetectable.

BTW. No impotence or incontinence smile

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this as it gives me some food for thought. May I ask which country?
    • Posted

Hi Soloco,

​Congratulations.

So , the result from Pathology on your removed prostate came positive? What was the exact and detailed result from pathology please? Would you please explain “However tiny positive margin [sad] (I am still reading up on this for T2 PCa!). Thank you.

• Posted

I haven't seen the pathology report, NHS, UK for you sad

• Posted

I have read 1 in 3 comes back as a positive margin!
    • Posted

Hi. I'm 50 and underwent Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy on 11th Jan 2016. catheter removed 6 days ago and am experiencing some urine leakage when standing up, especially after lying down. Did you experience the same and if so how long before you were back to normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.