Acute Diverticulitis - ongoing

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was admitted to hospital for 5 days. CT scan showed acute Diverticulitis. Two different Iv antibiotics and oral antibiotics upon discharge. A week later, temperature and felt very unwell, doctor examined me - more antibiotics as he felt the infection had not gone. A few days after stopping antibiotics - again temperature, pain etc - doc again examined me and gave me more antibiotics! He said he felt that on top of diverticulitis, I may have colitis! Awaiting colonoscopy. I cannot believe how fatigued I feel on top of all the unpleasant symptoms. Has anyone else had acute diverticulitis with the need for ongoing antibiotics? Any advice will be great too! My DV is pretty widespread and also includes transverse colon.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

The aloe vera juice is great for the intestines like angela said.  You will definitely need to take the probiotics everyday due to taking the antibiotics. A liquid diet and lots of water with some rest will get your energy back up.  This conditions is a headache and I know how you feel but once you realize what to not do and what works you will be good.  I haven't had any flare ups in over two years. You can also look into natural herbs.

• Posted

Hello Tee, thank you for your message. I think I will look into herbal as well as Aloe Vera :-). Anything to get better! It's great you have been clear of symptoms for two years! I really do not know why I need colonoscopy, I had diverticulitis confirmed with ct scan.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you are having such a lousy time with this horrible condition. You have to have the colonoscopy because a CT scan is only about 95% accurate for finding bowel cancer and this has to be ruled out-that's what my gastro told me. I too take aloe vera juice every day but have had a couple of minor flare ups (no temperature so I just went on the liquid then low fibre diet and did not go to the doc for the antibiotics) since my first bout for which I was hospitalised. I am not tyat careful about what I eat though. I think the last flare up might have been provoked by too many strawberries! On the other hand it might well have been a minor car accident as stress can provoke attacks too.
    • Posted

Hello Madge, thank you for letting me know... I will buy aloe tomorrow. The probiotics are helping with some undesirable symptoms and I feel that I need to go back on a liquid diet for a few days again. I love tomatoes and eat them most days, I'm just thinking about your strawberries - do you think the pips in those may cause a problem? I didn't know stress can cause flares! I've had a chronic low grade fever for years and wondering if it's all been down to my tummy problems that was only investigated recently with ct.
    • Posted

I just don't know about pips. I have eaten loads of stuff with pips for years with no apparent ill effect though I was told after a barium enema in 2000 that I had a couple of diverticuli. My first attack came after a motor bike accident last year. I had to take pqinkillers for bruised ribs for about 10 days which is something I am not used to and shortly after my first symptoms started. But I had also been eating lots of figs from our fig tree. Lots of people on this forum never eat pippy things or corn. I think tough meat gives me twinges. Do try and get out and get the aloe vera juice. Inthink it helps. I mix mine with cranberry juice.
  • Posted

Hi Jane I hope you are feeling a little better now, I wonder does the aloe vera juice work if you have a fistula? I too had the same problems as you but kept being treated for an infection now its gone on to be a full fistula (passageway from colon to bladder) so you can imagine how rough I feel I had a CT 2 months ago and am still awaiting to hear from hospital.In all this particula out break has lasted for about 10 months and like you I am sick of feeling ill all the time and now dont goout of the house if I can help it in case of leaks. I hope your treatment does not go on this long and that you  are quickly better.
    • Posted

Hello Denise, you have been through quite enough without that too it sounds absolutely awful! I still haven't got out to buy aloe as I'm just so tired. I have had a lot of blood in urine although nothing investigated as the next test was normal so I think it may be due to inflamation. I really hope they sort it all out soon for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.