Acute glaucoma attack

Posted , 3 users are following.

my wife had acute Galucoma attack 5 days ago followed by severe head ache, vomit, nausea etc. . Post dilatation of her eyes for

eye check, following  morning blurred vision occurred - after

8 hours later she was admitted to Eye hospital -- IOP @ 60

she was treated with IV Manitol, drops,  Acetazolamide etc-

now IOP just 10 but blurred vision continues - today is the 5th day- 

we are hoping vision would return. Drops/meds continues 

day- Hope her eye sight will return- also cataract 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shankar

Are they able to use laser surgery to prevent worsening of the glaucoma for your wife ? I had laser surgary to prevent glaucoma, the doctor saw the early signs of the problem and acted right away. Last year I had cataract surgery in one eye but the other was fine. 

Best wishes for your wife's eyesight, Alpine

Now I can drive without glasses. 

• Posted

Thanks for your input.

she was detected for early signs of glaucoma with reading 20.

the surgeon whom we sought second opinion was of view

that it's cataract that is causing pressure and he went on

to to test for cataract . Cataract on both the eyes requiring

surgery- this was done last Friday evening- but  probably

reacted badly to dilatation drops when she fit up follwoing

day with severe pain in the eye n head with nausea showing

symptoms of acute attack of Galucoma when the IOP was 60-

which is now 10- but vision still blurred which is a cause of concern.

Dr says corneal swelling has come down for regaining normal sight.

symptoms of Acute attack of Galucoma and by evening she

was treated when the pressure shot up to 60.

• Posted

On 28 October 2015 I suffered a Sudden Onset acute angle closure glaucoma. I had no idea what was happening, my eye became swollen with incredible pain in outer corner, redness blurred vision, dry retching etc. My GP sent me as emergency to Hospital and for 4 hours various drugs were pumped through a canular to get the pressure down which I had an adverse reaction to. Eventually I was given something to stop the retching and sent up to a ward. put on a drip to get fluids into my system. Early in the morning I was given laser eye treatment over a period of 3 hours which eventually brought the pressure down to what I imagine was an acceptable level (in both eyes). I cannot praise the Specilist Registrars and Consultant enough because their intervention hopefully has saved my sight in right eye. Have been on various medication and Steroid drops since and go back next week for prognosis. Also told I had the start of a cataract as well. My sight is still burred but getting better over time. Our wonderful Emergency NHS is beyond normal praise! I do hope now (2 months later) your wife is over the shock of this condition and her sight has returned to normal. I live alone and had no-one with me so I am sure your with your love and care she will recover well. Best wishes to you both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.