Addicted to co codamol 🙁

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through all these posts for days now, so I thought I'd give you my story. Maybe someone can give me the kick up the backside i need.

I was first prescribed co codamol 30/500 about 7 years ago, I have knee problems and they said I might need an op, still haven't had one though.

I was getting 100 a month, and used to top up for the last 2 weeks until my next script with over the counter ones. Now I get 150 per month on a repeat prescription, and still but N+ ( if I can afford it) or codeine linctus online every now and again. The scrips ones still only last me just over 2 weeks, trying to make these ones last longer.

I know I need to come off them, but my partner works away for 3 weeks at a time and I have 3 children at home, I really don't want to be ill, but I know I have to find the will power to do it.

My other half knows I take them, but he doesn't know I'm addicted, my aim is to cut right down so hopefully I'm not as ill.

I was taking 3×30mg 3 times a day, sometimes more. Now I'm trying to take 6 during the whole day, I haven't had any since 9pm last night, it's now 2pm ( trying to leave it as long as I can).

It's the first time I've tried to come off them, I've got loads of tips from reading this forum. Well done to all of you that have done it, I know I'm in for a hard time, but it has to be done.

Oooh I feel better now I've got all that off my chest lol

Thanks for reading.

Rachel.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel

As you can see you are not alone.

I believe everyones recovery should be tailored to them and their life style. Me i'm am doing the tapering effect where i cut out 1 tab every week, then space my tabs out more and then the aim game is to be free by xmas. I honestly did not want to go cold turkey as i too am a mum and hold down a full time job so i wanted to try something where i can be as normal as possible with as little side effects, it seems to be working. Dont get me wrong i do feel different, i miss the buzz and i ache but in comparasion to some of the other members feel lucky. It seems a long way off at this stage (week 2) but i am determined to get there.

You have made the first step in reconising you have a issue and that something needs to be done, you will get lots of help and advice on here so use it, i have.

Which ever option you choose for your recovery good luck and keep us all posted we all would like to know how you get on good(fingers crossed or bad either way as hard as it seem now it will be fine at the end, that i am counting on.

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

Reading your story is like listening to my own. I'm on day two at the moment, this is also the first time I've tried to come off. But like you I was topping myself up with others from across the counter. I realised this was not sustainable and the fact I needed to do that just showed how dependant I was.

I know it's going to be really hard, but my husband and daughter deserve better. I need to do this and get back to my normal self. Can't really remember who that is as I've been on these for so long, but I'm hoping its someone with more energy and less tired and grumpy.

You can do it.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Rachel I've been taking co codamol/n+ for 4 years now up to 32 a day I first found they made me sleepy and it just went from there then I couldn't sleep without them. I know it's all in my head I thought about coming off them by going cold turkey as I've done before but I can't bare the thought of been poorly so 3 days ago I finally went to the doctor I got it all off my chest and I feel 100% better for doing it. I told her everything at first I didn't think she would be helpful because she said this is not something you GP's deal with and recommended a drugs councellor as we spoke more she told me I had to want to do it to be able to quit which I am really determined too she prescribed me codeine phosphate 15mg 52 tablets as she said you need to drop to 8 a day straight away then and some mitrazipine which is an anti depressant to use as a sleeping tablet I have to go for blood tests on Monday to see if I have already damaged my liver I am so scared. But I'm determined to do this having to admit you are an addict is so hard but it's the truth! So far I'm doing okay each week I will drop down one a day so next week 7 a day the week after 6 a day until I'm completely off them I totally understand how hard it is with commitments but you need to stop if you value living (me aswell) the paracetamol will be killing your liver sorry for the long winded message haha I really hope you stop and get the help you need

Marnie💋

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.