Addicted to codeine

Posted , 6 users are following.

my boyfriend has been taking 30mg codeine tablets for the last year due to medical reasons. he has been meaning to come off for a while but unable to do so due to his addiction. yesterday and overdosed and took 50 tablets... hes fine but his mum found out and freaked out, taking away all his tablrts. now she only lets him have the recomended dose of 6 ever day. anyway he just called me saying he needed the hospital and felt like he was going to die, so i was just wondering whether this is the withdrawl talking or he genuinly mght not survive that drastic drop from 50 to 6 tablets and his mum needs to reduce his intake at a slower pace.

​i just want to clarify, a normal day for his is roughly 20 tablets, but when he has loads to do or get stressed then he takes more. he is still in pain from a medical issue so needs them still, but just needs to learn how to control it better.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

He won't be able to cope with the drastic reduction. Codeine has to be reduced very slowly and with medical supervision where possible. He will feel as though he's going to die. The way his mum is doing it is cruel and not the correct way.
    • Posted

What is the correct way? There are lots of options amd one of those options is cold turkey which many people choose to do. It is unfair to call his mum cruel when she is trying to help. She most likely does not know the true dose he was taking each day and dis not realise cutting him back so fast would cause problems. She is a parent trying to protect her son from another overdose. How is that cruel?!
    • Posted

She's not cruel but the way she's trying to get him to reduce the codeine is. He needs the support of his GP or Addictive Services which most health trusts now have in place. Reducing codeine to 6 a day is not going to work.
    • Posted

Cold turkey can be dangerous, caution definitely required. If you are in the UK skip your GP and go straight to drug and alcohol services as GPs don't have the knowledge or ability to prescribe alternatives to help through withdrawal.

Taking all his meds is well intentioned but not a suitable path.

• Posted

I am currently tapering off these my self and have been for the past 2 weeks almost .. I tried to go cold turkey and it never worked , best to cut him down a few every week so if he took 20 per day , perhaps 15 start at per day then each week go down a little more .. He will only end up going and buying the solpadeiene max strength ones from the chemists , and taking more .. It's hard but he needs all your support right now and cutting him down slowly but surely will work .. I hope your ok .. And your boyfriend is feeling a little better ..

Perhaps try and discuss why he overdosed so many in the first place ?.. Was it intentional , or was it due to the fact he was in so much pain ?... Or just in general for the high ?..

Wishing you well X

• Posted

Cold turkey withdrawal from opiates is not dangerous but it can be very very unpleasant. His mother is not being cruel as one poster put it, she just is a mother trying to do the right thing for her son. Take him straight to the doctor and explain his addiction and he'll will be given the correct treatment. He is probably feeling very ill right now and probably has high anxiety and depression now too but it won't kill him. Paracetamol, ibuprofen for the pain and sudafed will help innthe mean time. He could alao go to a and e if you cannot him to see a doctor.

Do you know what daily dose he was on before the overdose? The doctor will need that information to provide the correct treatment.

• Posted

His mum must think she's doing good by protecting her son but in reality she's not now remember everyone is different how they come off opiates . Some are just stronger than others It all depends on your boyfriend what he want if he has the desire to reduce ? Safest way is first see your GP And then decide how many to reduce , belive me when I say this is a hard and long journey he will be on and having support is the best thing you can all do . I hope he gets the help he needs and I am here to talk or just tel you about my experience as there are a lot of good people on here who has been through it and has a lot of good advice . But I see you GP first then decide Wats best for your boy friend all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.