addicted to tramadol HELP ME

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi i am 23 and need advice I am scared to death something horrible is happening to me I got prescribed tramadol for bad pain in June 2014 I am still currently taking it and I think I am addicted I take up to 10 50mg tablets a day I waka up every morning with the intention of not taking as many but I always seem to do I just want some help in how I can come off these causing the least discumfort and withdraw as possible as I currently work have 2 children and no one knows of this except me! I am struggling of the best thing to do if anyone has any advice! Sorry if I sound like a total idiot 

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lusalee - Tramadol is code for "Morphine" which is why it is a: addictive and b: a nigthmare to come off of!

Your best bet is to come clean to your Doctor as soon as you can and ask them to give you something to help with the withdrawral effects. If they're worth their salt, they will understand how this addiction has crept up on you as it is so easy to do! I do believe I took a note of something you can take - (just grab my iPhone - I put it under notes- hang on 2 mins) - Got it - Buprenorphine Patches. Your doctor must have heard of them! Failing that, they might even prescribe you a low dose of Valium for a short while to calm down the physical side effects.

I'm no doctor myself - just speaking from experience.

However, it's good you've recognised this after 6 months and not 6 years!

Good luck! X

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice it means a lot I'm just too ashamed to go to my doctor I think! I wouldn't want to start taking anything else to replace it incase I became addicted to that as a replacement, I am absolutely disgusted in myself I take them and then get so angry at myself, I am also still in pain but that comes and goes I just liked the effect tramadol had on me gave me more energy I have 2 children and 2 jobs so energy is something I need but now I'm scared it's going to do me real harm! Just scared anyone wil know and be real mad at me!

Thank you for your reply it's nice to be able to talk to someone about it xx

• Posted

You have NOTHING to be ashamed about! Most Doctors (and, nurses too!) dish them out as sweets as it's the "in thing" for pain relief. What NONE of them do is explain how addictive they are and that's my main worry! They are a narcotic and should be treated as such. You are not to blame for this! You were in pain - sought advice - were given Tramadol. It worked. However,  you don't sound as though you have an addictive personality or else you wouldn't be on here in the first place after only 6 months (I've read other posts on here where people have been on them for years - and, upping the doseage as they go along)

Your doctor shouldn't be angry with you - you should be angry with your doctor for not warning you to start off with!

Maybe, as you're still  in pain and need to maintain 2 jobs and your children, they could prescribe you an alternative (non-addictive) painkiller.

Nobody should be mad at you - least of all, yourself! xxxxx

• Posted

I am going to try and ween myself off them first and see how that goes if I am still struggling I will go and see the doctor! I was never made aware of how they would affect me, or that any of this could happen, my doctor gives me 60 every 10 days I am still in pain but I think I would rather suffer than have the worry of what these are doing to me! 

I don't know what damage I have done to my insides. I'm have never been addicted to anything before in my life.

I just want to be normal again if that's possible hehe! I hate this and what it's doing to me! I actually read somewhere today that tramadol is a class c drug I was never informed of any of this! I defo have the determination to do it just need to know how! Thank you so much 3zoe1976 your comment has helped massively and at least I know it's not something I could have controlled not knowing the addictive affects xxxx

• Posted

I've been on 800 mgs of tram for close to 5 years tried to quit twice ( taper) but without something to take its place , quite touh h to resist...I wss drinking a lot for a couple years ..but I did stop that...just too destructive.  Maybe medically assisted detox?
    • Posted

Do you take 800mg a day?  What effect has this had on you? Does it not kill you if you take it for that long! I dont want to keep taking it I'm just struggling because they are there not hard to get from the gp and the effect they have om me! But I don't want to die! 
  • Posted

In pain? take Tramadol. No longer in pain? frightened of getting addicted? stop taking Tramadol. Oh Dear! the pain's back.

You take Tramadol to ease pain and it's very effective in most cases. if, and only if, you're sure you're no longer in pain without them then try a taper program lasting (so I've been advised) at least half as long as you've been taking them if you are a short term user. I persoally would be wary of substituting something else in their stead, even Ibuprofen is addictive, remember Mel Smith?. 

• Posted

I take between 6-8 per day plus amitriptyline for chronic back pain I know how you feel I asked my Gp for something else as tramadol was not strong enough for the pain all I got was tramadol again Make a appointment with your Gp again and say what you have here Patches may be the answer was or something else 
  • Posted

Hi, and yes, you can stop the tramadol. It took me 3 months.  I did a slow tapering proces with my doctors help.  I hate to say this, but anything worth gaining will require a sacrifice. You will feel crapy at times, but the reward will be worth it. You can do it when your ready.  You can do it.
  • Posted

Hey, you're not an idiot, you're just one of many people being abused by tramadol. The fact you've realised your in a jam and want to stop taking the drug is a massive advantage you have over it. 500mg is a big dose and tapering it down starting as soon as you can would be a good idea. You will be able to stop it and you will be okay. Make sure you speak to your GP and get medical advice, but you've absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, in my experience they hand out these pills like sweets with no information about it's true nature and the issues of addiction and withdrawl that go with it.

Look after yourself.

Neil

• Posted

There should be some kind of warning for these types of medication,  or a warning before the doctor gives you the prescription! Then at least that way you know that taking them will most probably lead to addiction! If I had been told I would never have started to take them, I have already started not taking as many. I have only had 150mg today with a plan of another 100mg before I go to bed, so all being well in a few days I will try and take it down to 200mg then 150mg and so on! I am going to need to tell my doctor at some point tho as I get another prescription this week for another 130 tablets. But I'm not actually that bothered because I don't want to take them I just want to get off them as safely and quickly as possible and get back to normal and not worrying everyday that I have taken too many and the u are going to kill me! Thank you so much for understand and not just saying oh well if you want to stop then stop or telling me how stupid I am! I wasn't sure that posting on here would do any good but it has so you all need to know that by doing something so little you have helped massively! Thank you xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi Lusaelee,

SO happy to hear you're cutting down already - on your own! Good on you! But, as you quite rightly said, you need to tell your Dr (can't believe how many you get given - just like that!) as it really needs to be addressed. Am really proud of you :-)

Also, valid point about there being a Warning about them! Couldn't agree more!

Let us all know how you get on tonight and tomorrow.

If you struggle tonight just send us a post for support!

Zoe x

• Posted

Thanks zoe very much appreciated! I just feel so sh*tty at the moment don't know if it's withdraw or just the fact that I have let myself get in this mess. I am more than ready to stop taking them.. I am sick of worrying about dying sounds silly I know but if I carry on the way I am It won't be long I don't know how people take them for years on end not worrying about the effect and damage it is doing, I totally understand why they do it tho helps get through the day but is not good for you at all! I just wish there was a quick fix then I can stop worrying about it! I want advice from my doctor about the situation I have been putting my body in but don't want to tell them if you get what I mean! I take them and then I'm constantly worrying about it! But talking to you on here has helped massively and I'm so greatful, nice to know there are still people out there that don't just judge you straight away and that take the time to talk and help! 

Xxxx

• Posted

I have replied but it says my comment is under review! God knows what that means I'm just a bit worried about how tight my chest is feels like someone is sat on it, I don't know what is normal and what isn't, that is what scares me! Is there anyway I can be seriously hurt by what I have been doing? I don't know if or when my other comment will be posted but I am so greatful to have someone to speak to! Thank you xxx
    • Posted

Call Em Doc for advice ASAP! Don't panic - but, your heart shouldn't be doing that! Or, call 101 and ask for am ambulance. It sounds really harsh, but, they'll send a paramedic first who will assess you and ONLY if they think you need to go to A&E they will personall take you!

But, keep calm too or your heart will beat even faster with stress. Does that make any sense? xxxx

• Posted

I have felt like this since yesterday morning, it's just tight when I breathe I don't know what is normal and what isnt this is what worries me! Without me telling my doctor I don't know if what I feel is supposed to be happening or not! Yes what you said makes sense I would defo be more embarrassed to ring an ambulance and tell them than just go and swe my doctor! I will see how I go! I will look online and swe if I can find symptoms of withdraw or something xxxxx
    • Posted

It's possible that you've reduced your dose too quickly. I've never experienced a tight chest as a withdrawl symptom but we're all different. A simple way to test this would be to take a pill or two and see if that relieves the tight chest symptoms. I know you are trying to reduce your intake but this would be a simple experiment to help find out if there's a direct connection. Beyond that I think it's a good idea to taper off much more slowly over a longer period of time to reduce/remove withdrawl symptoms. (Personally I went cold turkey which was effective but very unpleasant - I'm sure tapering would be a much more gentle transition).
    • Posted

Sounds like anxiety.  It will pass.  Remember, as time passes, it will get better. I still have issues with sleeping.  Don't give up.  I am so glad you took the first steps kiddo.  Hoooray.
    • Posted

I am going to have to suffer at some point so I would much rather suffer than take any more tablets thaN I absolutely have to! I will see how I am feeling later on! Thanks for the advice tho much appreciated!! X
    • Posted

And how long have you not been taking them for? I don't know what is what if you know what I mean I don't know what to expect as I am doing this I just hope that how I feel is how I'm supposed to feel if there is a way I am supposed to feel, I've been at work and I am home now I've sat down and my chest doesn't feel too bad! I am going to take 2 more soon then I am not taking them straigh before bed. But that is only 5 today and that I'd half of what I normally take 😊 xx
    • Posted

I totally get that - I was exactly the same, I couldn't wait to get the stuff out of my system. 

Have you heard of kratom? It's worth doing some research on. It's a legal substance and is used by some people coming off opiates to help with withdrawl. I wish I'd had some when I was going cold turkey.

The quickest way home is through the battle. So pleased for you that you're fighting it. Hope you have a good night.

• Posted

Hi Lusaleelee,

Just seen your post (was working today) and I know exactly how you feel!

The way you are feeling i.e. blaming yourself is not the way to think as it wasn't YOUR fault!

Is there a chance of you asking to see another doctor at your surgery? It might make you feel a bit easier explaining what your "designated" doctor gave you and how they didn't explain the danger in taking them. As you said yourself, it's a class c drug. It's a narcotic. I was recently in hospital in agony and they first they offered me was Tramadol and i said "no" so they gave me a needle of Morphine instead. I point blank refused the Tramadol and when asked why I told them! As you quite rightly said, there should be a massive Warning about them! And, it was your Dr's duty to tell you.

How did you do today? Have you managed to keep cutting down? How are you feeling right now?

Sorry for the 20 questions - just been concernece about you and wasn't able to go online at work.

Zoe x

• Posted

Iv been doing a slow taper for about 2months. Went from 400mg a day, to 200 so far. It takes alot of inner strength. And I completely feel you as I have 4boys ages 15,12,7, and 2. I work full time as a nursing assistant. Nobody told me any of this would happen. And when I went to my Dr. It was only for a checkup, he said u have a herniated disc and sciatic nerve damage. Im putting you on tramadol it will help and isnt addictive. And I dsid I didnt wsnt anything like vicoden or Percocet, nothing I will get hooked on. He assured me the trams were ok. Bull!!!! But u ha e to stay strong n ur mind and remember it will get easier. If I can do it anyone can. Good luck :-) :-) :-) and prayers
    • Posted

What gets me is the LIES the Doctors & nurses tell you!!!! It's a bloody narcotic! This issues needs to be seriously addressed!

I wasn't warned either and went cold turkey and I cannot telll you the stuff i took to calm down my physical wd's. From borrowing Valium from a friend to downing Scotch (which i loathe and always have done!) It was so bad I vowed - even in agony in A&E recently NEVER to have it again! But, it appears to be the "in thing" for pain relief.

We should all get a petition together and send it to Mr. Cameron at 10 Downing St. See what he and the Health Secretary have to say about it.

• Posted

Id sign it:-) im in the u.s.I was seriously thinking about suing my dr as I told him I didnt want vics or percs, nothing ima get hooked on. Smh, its a shame that we go to these medical professionals and all they think about is money. The last time I tried to quit I tried cold turky, bad idea. I ended up in the er.iv always suffered from anxiety and it was out of control and thenrls was whole body restless syndrome. I couldnt stand to touch anything. I used ativan that night, it was so bad I had to take 5, 1mg ativan to finally sleep and get away fr the pain. There is only one thing that helps but I cant type it on here. Can I leave it in a message to you? How do I do that lol id love to help
    • Posted

just sent you my personal email address and this site is "waiting to be moderated" - whatever that means!

But, yeah, the amount of people who suffer from this "DRUG" is unbelievable! And, the Dr has a duty to tell you how dangerous it can be and that yes, it is addictive.

Anyone on here agree to sign a petition?

• Posted

It let me send u a personal message check it out. I sware by the stuff and completely no addictive qualities to it.
    • Posted

Heya zoe

Not done too good today, I've taken 7 sill better than 10! i am making an appointment at the docs in the morning, I'm going to try and be as honest as I can but also because I have a pain under my left ribcage I don't know what it is but it's very sore! I did very well up to me starting work at half 4 I had only taken 3 and planned on another 2 before bed again! But I took 2 before work and 2 about half an hour ago I need to capture this feeling of disappointment and use it to remember every day from now! I am annoyed and actally feel like sh*t! I hate this and don't know why this is happening to me! Xx

• Posted

Heya zoe I have replied but said my message is under review! I've not had a very good day today I have taken 7 and couldn't be more annoyed! What has happened to me? I am feeling so low and angry at myself! I hate this I have made an appointment at docs for tomorrow and I will go and try and be as honest as I can also I need to go and ask about a pain I have under my left ribcage it's horrible and sore! Hope you are ok xxx
    • Posted

Hi lusaleelee! Don't give up I took only one today and am quitting cold turkey starting now.. Although I took one vicodin today. But tomorrow nothing. My advice is be as honest as you can with your doctor.. They will help you. My doctor gave me zofran and I only took it once today when I started to get the chills . But it made me feel so much better.. I'm hoping this is what time need to get through this. Also stock up on melatonin it works great for me for sleeping and it's all natural. Good luck to you don't give up continue your taper each time you take a little less your taking a huge step!
    • Posted

Morning Lusaleelee,

Sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday! On the upside, you're seeing the Doctor today which is brilliant! Be honest and don't take any rubbish as you've nothing to feel ashamed about. I really, really hope they help you! Please let me know how you get on. Good luck. We'll all be thinking of you. Zoe x

• Posted

Hi Lusaleelee, dont be so hard on yourself- i know alot of people in recovery-very few get it first time- relapse-not sticking to targets we set- this is all par for the course when you are battling adddiction- it is how you react to these set-backs. that is what matters-learn from it and move on-re-set your goals and try and attain them- the most critical thing now Lusaleelee is DO NOT GIVE UP- i hope the doc helps you today-alot of doc's are very fearful of addiction as they know very little about it- and also they are covering their own a...s as they are the one's who prescribe the pills in the first place- they rarely read up on the drugs they prescribe beyond the information that they are given by the drug companies- hang in there Lusaleelee - we are all rooting for you- keep posting and reaching out -very few of us make it on our own- best of luck-
    • Posted

Hi Lusaleeleee,

Just back from work. How did you get on at the doctors today? Were they helpful? Looking at the hours ago you sent your last post was the appointment today or tomorrow? My surgery (not sure if they all do this!) has an "open access" each morning. You basically just show up between say 8-10am and wait to be seen by whatever Dr is on duty.

I can't stress enough to you that you cannot blame yourself! A: because it's not your fault and b: the more stressed out you get, the worse you'll feel. Beating yourself up is no answer!

Anyway, let me know how you're doing.

We're all rooting for you!

Zoe x

• Posted

Heya zoe,

I've been docs and he's given me some cream for the pain under my ribs if the cream works it's just muscle damage if it doesn't i have to go to the hospital. I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow the pain hadn't gone with the cream yet! As for the tramadol you wouldn't actually believe what he has said to me, I told him that I was given tramadol for pain and I'm still in pain but I'm taking far more tramadol than is healthy and I'm scared I'm making the problem worse and also I have tried stopping and I'm having really bad withdrawals, I'm seein a gastroenterologyst in march for the pain and conditions I have. all he said is I advise you to carry on as you are until you have seen them but don't take as many and that was that! I asked for help and all I got was that! Honestly what is wrong with him I felt like shouting at him I've got a problem help me! I don't know what to do just going to have to keep at it on my own I think! Trying to use less and less today I am in pain especially with this under my rib but I've only taken 5. Thanks all so much especially you zoe you are a very nice person you dont even know me and the empathy you have for me is very appreciated I'm glad I can talk openly om here! I still don't get why my doctor just said that! Xxxx

• Posted

Oh I feel so bad for you! Maybe you could go see a pain management specialist they may understand the medicine better and the withdrawal. My doctor was very nice and supportive. You know what you need to do and unfortunately it's going to be a rough road. I know tapering is so hard I struggle everyday to keep my dosage lower and stick with it. I would cut 25 mg each time otherwise you will feel like crap. It will be a long road but each time you get down a little take it as a huge step and feel good about it. Have you thought about seeing if there are any detox facilities in your area.. Your dose daily is quite high and should be able to get help there. Good luck and prayers to you the first step is wanting to stop and trying like hell.. So kuddos to you for taking that step its huge!
    • Posted

I am GOBSMACKED that's all your doctor said! He sounds pretty rubbish to me (no offence!)

I think the best thing you can do is a: call and see ANOTHER Doctor and also call Em Doc for advice. I'm sure they'll be able to advise you of effective pain relief other than Tramadol.

My Mum broke her rib a few years ago but there's nothing that can be done. Even if your rib is cracked or broken the Hospital can't do a thing as it's not treated by an operation or anything. Can you take Nurofen? I know it sounds lame compared to Tramado but, I KNOW for a fact that it's not addictive!

I really feel for you and I'm so sorry your doctor treated you that way! It's disgusting!

XXXXX

• Posted

By the way Lusalee, the only reason i know about the Nurofen is because a really good friend of mine who, unfortunately, DOES have an addictive personality, got hooked on drugs and alcohol and ended up in rehab for 18 months.

Even if she is in pain, she's not even allowed a Paracetamol - she's only allowed Nurofen (for some reason!?!?)

I hope the cream does the trick with your rib pain. Can't imagine what that's like for you!

But, seriously, go online and find a number for your local Em Doc and call them for advise. That's what they're there for and it's all confidential.

xxxxx

• Posted

Hi

My rib is not broken and I haven't banged it it's not muscle pain it's actually under my rib I'm not taking the tramadol for that and it doesn't seem to be getting rid if the pain anyway! The pain is constantly there! I couldn't actuactually believe it when he gave me a prescription for cream and said nothing else about the tramadol. .if this pain is no better by morning i will be going to the hospital just to be on the safe side, I'm just going to try and drop the tramadolescent myself I need to do it! I hate it. I've also told my friend today what what she's truly worried and worried about what the doc has said to me! I am trying my best! If I do just stop taking them and throw them all away will i be ok apart from the withdrawals? I am prepended to put up with that if it means I don't have to take them again! But could any thing happen to me?

• Posted

Tramadol abusers can get their insides all twisted up because of constipation. I survived 4 yrs of 20x50mg a day only by taking fiber pills & stool softener (sorry TMI). Just a thought related to the pain under your rib. Ive been taking 3x50mg for a few months now, along with help from Zoloft. So steady now its hard to cut down more, but so sick of taking it.
    • Posted

Hi Lusaleelee,

I think your friend has every right to be worried.

You have done everything right. You have recognised the Tramadol is addictive. You have sought help from your doctor - which turned out to be a waste of time.

I think your best bet is to go to the hospital today if you're still in pain and still worried about the Withdrawal Symptoms of coming off of Tramadol.

Let me know how you get on today.

As i've said before, we're all rooting for you!

Zoe xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Lusaleelee, sorry to hear about you Doc,s advice(useless) unfortunately alot of Dr's are ignorant and arrogant when it comes to dealing with addiction-the drug companys have been pushing this c..p (Tramadol) as a non-addictive pain-killer-alot of Dr's beleve this without checking the effects it has on their patients ! it certainlymdoes not help you in your battle-stick with the taper-please dont try and rush this-you may have a seizure if you try and stop too quickly- you might benifit from a short course of Valium/Librium to help with the WD's, if they get too bad-i am sorry that this is been made harder for you by this guy's ignorance-use your anger to power your resolotion to beat this disease-hang in there Lusaleelee - it will get better-best of luck
    • Posted

I felt like you and had tried to give up once and on the fith night gave up because I could no longer stand the restless legs, it was hell but I was so cross with myself a couple more nights and I was probably home and dry. I was taking 8 a day and had been for a year.  I decided to try again and went to my doctors he prescribed a weeks worth of diazepam and a few sleeping tablets and a week later it was all over. There were still some comfortable nights and some anxiety during the day but so much easier than the first time. Tapering wasn't for me it was all or nothing. Go and see your Dr why suffer when you don't have to. You can do it xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.