addiction to DHC

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on these tablets for awhile now and have decided I need to come off them as my body is now addicted to them and I dont really feel they are beneficial to the amount of pain that I am in daily. I have osteo-arthrits in my spine and hips, it has now got to a point where I can take up too 7 60mg tabs a day and maybe more after that if I feel I need more.. I am still in pain but my brain receptors yearn for the hit that they give off.. If I kept taking them then I know that my total amount per day will only increase quite rapidly... Today is day 2 off coming off them cold turkey. I feel ok during the day but find night time is my worst time. I can't sleep, i want to constantly shake the aches from my hands and body, Im twitchy and I have now fully realised I do not want to be on these anymore. I had 120 supplied and all were gone within 2 weeks.. thats a massive problem.... I need to help myself and if it takes 4-6 days to start feeling human again then it is worth the uncomfortablility and discomfort to get to a happier medium... I also see it as my punishment for allowing myself to let it gets this far. Prescription pills are the worst to become addicted too as its legal and scripts are written willy nilly without much thought of the long term.. But as im sitting up at 1am in the morning with an 8am start trying to tire myself out and let the shakes and twitches hopefully subside so I can get to lay my head down on a pillow and sleep, then I will welcome day 3 of being clean.... I can do this, I have a very strong attitude - it wont be easy, But I want my life back .....

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had hip replacement in June but before that I was on 8 dhc per day ,so following the hip replacement I come off the dhc but took one every night for one week then did cold turkey had all the symptoms that you had and toilet problems also, it took about two weeks before I felt normal, and another two before I could sleep but keep at it its worth it .they are dangerous tablets scared the hell out of me good luck Sandra xx
    • Posted

Hi Sandra thank you for sharing your story with me... I can relate to you and you  what you have been through... Yes toileting too is another nasty side effect, major headaches, body shakes, can't sleep, restless and very figidity.. I can not wait for this medication to be out of my system. I would rather put up with the pain in my hips and back than ever take these tablets again. The funny thing is I am still in pain regardless of me taking them or not so I don't really know if they were of great help, apart from getting me addicted to the horrible things... Im only on day 2 and Im struggling to get through the day let alone the nights..... thought today I would have a hot bubble bath and see if i can actually fall asleep to stop me from going completely loopy... But again thank you for your story uit certainly helps knowing I am not alone and I can talk to others who have and are going through the exact same thing so thank you Sandra
  • Posted

I am now day 6 and I feel better than I have all week. What an horrific journey to have to go through. I am still not sleeping though, most I have slept per night is 3-4 hours. I am hoping that tonight will be the night I can sleep in my own bed all night. That's what I am putting out to the universe. I have finished 24hours of diahhorra but had to get medication to stop it... I am slowly eating normally again..It really is a nasty medication and I'd rather be in pain than be in pain and have an addiction...
    • Posted

Hi Natalie I will never take those tablets again my son - in -law is a Doctor and tell me in America some people are on 30 tabs a day,they are a terrible drug to come off , The biggest problem for me was sleeping and it took the longest to get better after two weeks I took herbal sleeping tablets for three nights , but then I was a bit nervious of getting to relay on those thats why I only took for three nights but after that was back to normal with the sleeping good luck!! Let me know how you get on Sandra xx
    • Posted

Hi Sandra

I am now 9days and have finally come through the worst turmoil possible. I have been able to stay in bed all night and not have to get up and walk around, shake my legs etc.... I feel the best I have ever felt, pain is still the same as it was whilst on them. I actually feel like I have more energy and enjoy waking up feeling fresh and new, and not groggy. Never ever again thats for sure

• Posted

Hi - I came off DHC (very slowly) back in April, but still suffered horrible withdrawals - not least dreadful restless legs, burning and tingling.   I still have burning and tingling plus numbness, but all this now after such a long time my GP has put down to a MS relapse caused by the shock of coming of DHC.   The DHC did ansolutely nothing for my pain even when I was upping the dose.   I`ve still got pain and am trying other avenues.   I have vowed never to take such type of painkillers again - just paracetamol (but these are pretty tame!)   I blame my GP for my DHC mess - I was not monitored whilst taking the drug and was given no information whatsoever.   I have found out everything for myself.   I am feeling very bitter about the whole thing.   I hope people get to be fully aware of the dangers of this drug but I also understand that it can help a good deal of people manage their pain.
    • Posted

Hi I had no idea when i was prescribed this medication ,I would be addicted so soon VERY Dangerous dugs, Sandra xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.