Addison's disease and Fludrocortisone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I posted a while back have been suffering for quite some time with lots of symptoms I've had all the tests done and now been ruled out for Addison's disease but have been diagnosed with postural tachardia syndrome or POTS for short which explains the fainting, very low blood pressure, constant dizziness, gut problems, very bad fatigue and joint pain I've been suffering for so long with.

I'm relived to finally have a diagnosis and don't feel I'm going mad any more. I've been prescribed Fludrocortisone 50mg at the moment to help with my symptoms I understand this medication is also used with people that suffer with Addison's disease I'm very scared to take the tablets after reading things online and I'm worried about the mention of weight gain. I would be very grateful if anyone taking this medication could please let me know their experiences?

I understand I need to take it and it should help me feel much better as currently in bed bound at 26 can't work and can barely stand for a minute without getting very dizzy however I can't help being worried and would appreciate any advice. Thanks so much for listening xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I was on fludrocortisone too for pots. I know it sounds scary because its a steriod, but i had no bad side effects from it. It is much better than other medication i had taken for pots. There is no need for you to be scared of it smile

• Posted

Hi seesmith thanks so much for your reply and for letting me know your experience with Fludrocortisone. That's great that you didn't suffer with any side effects I'm hoping I'll be the same I'm on day 2 now so will see lol thanks again all the best x

• Posted

Hi!

I have been taking Fludrocortisone for 50 years without having any issues with it at all, but then I was diagnosed with Addison's in Nov 1965. I take 2 tablets daily of 0.1mg, one a.m, and then one p.m.

Your dose is 500 times more????????? I don't know if that is correct and you should check it out immediately in my view. I was once given 10mg tablets instead of 0.1 mg ones following a mistake by a Pharmacist or doctor on the script. All I remenber is that the warnings were much stronger and the Pharmacist asked me if I knew how much this was costing the NHS!

Check!

• Posted

Ironically, I was first diagnosed with POTS and then adrenal insufficiency. I am still on fludrocortisone and have been for a few months. I have noticed a little bit of weight gain (5lbs) and sometimes I'll get headaches...I'm struggling right now with really bad muscle and joint pain but I don't know if it is the fludrocortisone or the adrenal insufficiency, as both can cause this. I wouldn't worry about the weight gain. This medication saved my life. It took 2 weeks before the dizziness stopped but it gradually got a little bit better every couple of days. Everyone's experience with fludrocortisone will be different. Give it a chance. I take 0.2mg every morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.