Adenosine

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the first time in a long time I required a second dose of Adenosine to convert my SVT.  Usually 6mg will do it but this was a stubborn one.  The Dr decided to go straight to 12mg for the next dose, telling me it wouldn't feel any worse.  It really did feel much worse I think!!   I've had Adenosine so many times I've lost count but this really sucked!   It was a slow episode too (140bpm after some Metoprolol but still going after 3.5 hours) but really stubborn to convert.

Has anyone else experienced needing the double dose and how did it feel?  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I've only had to go to the ER once for Adenosine. But I needed 2 doses. 6mg didn't work. 12 MG did. It felt a lot stronger. They both felt like an incredibly strong squeezing, starting in my head and traveling down my body. The 6 MG petered out as the squeezing reached the top of my thighs. The 12 MG squeeze made it down to my toes. I only had a cardiac pause of just about a second or so. I remember feeling my head falling over and very quickly recovering.i assume that was during the pause. Definitely felt bad. But it was over quickly.

• Posted

Yes it's quick thank goodness!!   The 12mg was enough to make me cry a bit.  It was intense but I could hear the Drs voice repeating "it's ok you're in sinus rhythm".   

They used to do 6mg and repeat with 6mg before they went to 12mg.  I've needed 6mg x 2 only once before and I was surprised that she decided to go straight to 12mg for the second.

• Posted

Yes, they dropped the 2nd 6mg dose years ago from the ACLS algorithm for SVT. The thought: same dose usually didn't work so go on to 12. Having certified in this for my job every 2 yrs for 20 yrs, I knew what was coming. Well, I hoped I knew....it happened in Switzerland. And turns out, they treat it the same way but have a different name for Adenosine.

• Posted

It was about 13 years ago that I had the 6mg x 2 doses.  The second did work though!!

• Posted

My only experience with Adenosine was a 18mg dose. My heart rate was 248 when I arrived at the ER. The doctor considered 12mg then decided to go with 18mg. I felt my heart stop and then that weird sensation where it feels like every nerve end is on fire starting at the top of your head all the way down to the feet.

My heart rate went down 125 and stubbornly stayed there so 18mg was probably the right decision. I did feel pretty bad the next 3 days but that probably because my heart rate never significantly dropped from 125 (with spikes to 175). Metoprolol didn't do much to control my heart rate. It just made me feel bad.

• Posted

Holy cow! I can't imagine how awful a rate of 248 felt. I felt horrible at 180. And 18mg! Yikes. Are you getting an ablation?

• Posted

I had one 3 weeks later. No more SVT but my heart rate still spikes to 150 without medication. The spikes are not SVT though. Just an inappropriate reaction to adrenaline.
  • Posted

I remember one dose not doing the job.  Don't recall how much it was.  

The adenosine wasn't an unpleasant sensation for me.  As I recall, it just felt like I couldn't breathe for a couple seconds.

• Posted

You're lucky!  Because for many of us it's like being gripped and squeezed or sat on by a very heavy weight for several seconds.  Very breathless, there's usually some strange whimpering sound which I eventually realise is coming from me....    I'm not a sook but I do like to hold someone's hand if I can to keep me grounded.

• Posted

I had an SVT of between 138 and 200-BPM. It looked regular but 'felt' like AF (had PAF 5 times before) I was terrified of the adenosine but after a lot of talking/persuading I had 6mgs. It didnt do anything. So they tried 12mgs. This slowed it slightly and left me in 120BPM A.F. I have no idea why is didnt work or didnt cause a pause. Maybe it was AF all along. But yes, the Adenosine suddenly feels like your spirit is being washed out of your body by a great weight. If it didnt have such a caridac effect, I think it could be enjoyed!

• Posted

I had received two does of adenosine my first trip to the ER for my svt attack. My HR would get up to 235. The other times I went in to the ER I only needed one dose and that seemed to do it. Every time I had an episode my HR would get up to about 210-240. The adenosine was not a pleasant feeling to me either. It felt like someone was squeezing my chest and I couldn't catch my breath, but only for a few seconds. After an episode ended I would just feel completely out of it. I just had my ablation done yesterday and so far I feel great. No exta beats or palpitations. Just some leg soreness and some very mild child discomfort. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.