Adrenal Insufficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can someone please help, I had a short synacthen test (SST) done at the start of the year but although my results showed an appropriate adrenal response I drank caffeine and ate something sugary before and during the test. Would this have influenced the results at all and would it be a good idea to repeat the short synacthen test or get morning cortisol checked?

I have the results of a saliva test too but I know my doctor will not accept these:

Cortisol Levels

Sample 1 (post awakening) - 14.8 (12-22)

Sample 2 (+ 4-5 hours) - 3.9 (5.0-9.0)

Sample 3 (+ 4-5 hours) - 8.9 (3.0-7.0)

Sample 4 (prior to sleep) - 2.0 (1.0-3.0)

Total daily cortisol - 29.6 (21-41)

DHEA Levels

Sample 2 (am) - 0.16 (Low)

Sample 3 (pm) - 0.18 (Low)

DHEA Mean - 0.17 (0.40-1.47)

DHEA: Cortisol ratio - 0.57 (2.0-6.0)

Adrenal Stress Stage - "Resistance Stage 3 - Maladaptation: This generally reflects the "pre-exhaustion or pre-adrenal fatigue" states. Usually DHEA levels fall before cortisol levels are reduced. This is often as a result of an inability to balance chronic stressors or poor adaptation to intensive acute stressors. This pattern would indicate a state of long-term stressors depleting adrenal reserves. Stress analysis and adrenal support and restorative measures are exceedingly important. A recheck in 1 month is also strongly recommended."

Deviations from the normal cortisol rhythm - "The noon cortisol is below the normal range. Noon cortisol levels may be a good indication of adaptive adrenal gland function since they represent the adrenal glands' response to the demands of the first few hours of the day. Low noon cortisol levels suggest a degree of adrenal hypofunction with decreased adaptive response."

"The afternoon cortisol level is above the normal range. This may be indicative of the blood glucose counter regulation process or stress. Action: Keep blood sugar levels stable."

Deviations in DHEA production - "Decreased DHEA levels may be seen in thyroid disorders, cardiovascular disease, obesity, reduced immunity, rheumatological diseases, and excess cortisol production or with administration of pharmacological doses of glucocorticosteroids. Low levels are indicative of a lowered capacity to endure physiological or psychological stress/trauma/injury and may present with abnormal immune response with increased incidence of autoimmune disease."

Any ideas please?

Other test results:

Free T3 - 4.6 (3.9-6.7)

Free T4 - 14.9 (12-22)

TSH - 6.1 (0.2-4.2)

TPOab - 141(<34)

(levothyroxine 75mcg) (levothyroxine="">

(levothyroxine 75mcg)>

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm learning from you.  Have adrenal malfunction but do not know as much as you do about it.  Thank you.  Sorry I can't help you. 
  • Posted

Your TSH level is above the reference range, implying you are not being treated sufficiently for your hyothyroidism. Your TPO antibodies are higher than the upper limit, suggesting that you may have or are developing Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. Thyroid and adrenal gland problems oftern go together.

There is a 'hypothyroidism' and 'levothyroxin' discussion groups on this medical condition on this forum.

See also website tpauk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.