adrenals

Posted , 10 users are following.

Can somebody please explain to me about the adrenals.  I thought once we got to 7 mg that they come back.  Very confused about this. Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Good question Karen!

I'm down to 1 mg, but still have days I'm extremely tired and sometimes my sleep not so great.  I'm not stressed, I'm working really hard to not be. 

I tried to look up how long till our body goes back to normal, one site said we need to include cholesterol type foods to help adrenal glands, interesting, so I happily eat bacon and butter and egg yokes.  

I had stayed at 6mg for about 4 months. I still had better days and tired days.

So, I'm not sure how long it takes to get our body to balance again. I'd imagine we are all different too. I wonder if I "wore" out my addrenals when I got PMR because I was seriously stressing out over family crap and other stuff and had food poisoning during all that...my poor body. ;( 

I try to be careful with caffeine, sugar, fruit, I have small amounts but even those sometimes affects me with kind of an anxious feeling. Must balance with healthy fats and protein. Sometimes that's hard. 

Hope someone has a good answer. 

• Posted

The adrenal glands are part of a set-up in the body that produces all sorts of substances that are essential to life. It is called the HPA axis and comprises the hypothalamus, the pituitary, the adrenals and the thyroid is also involved. The adrenals themselves produce a corticosteroid called cortisol - via adrenaline. While you are taking an artificial corticosteroid, which prednisolone and prednisone are, at above about 7mg (but it varies from person to person) your body registers that there is enough circulating in the body and doesn't make any more - just like your central heating boiler knows from the thermostat that the room is warm enough and doesn't create more heat. 

As you reduce the dose eventually, somewhere under 10mg, you are no longer taking in more than you need so your body should start to produce enough to bring it up to the right amount. But it is a very complicated process and lots of substances are involved - and like everything where several people have to agree - it swings around a bit as it sorts itself out. But it doesn't come back all at once - as the dose of pred gets lower, so your body has to make more to keep the total amount at about the "physiological level" as it is called. Too much is also not good - that's what causes the symptoms we get as side-effects of taking pred.

For some people the process is quite straightforward and, especially if they reduce slowly enough, it all goes well. For others it is a bit more fraught and some doctors like to keep people at about 5mg for several months to let the body catch up. At this stage you are always getting some pred so things are usually OK, although you may feel more tired than you did due to the PMR - and that is usually a sign to slow down. 

If you are in a very stressful situation this can cause problems - you need extra cortisol to deal with it. It doesn't matter whether it is physical, emotional or traumatic stress - you can become quite ill. It can also happen at higher doses of pred but the lower levels are more difficult. That is why patients on long term pred are told to carry a card or medicalert bracelet that tells healthcare professionals that you have been taking pred for a long time so they know what may be wrong if you are taken ill. This situation doesn't stop as soon as you finally get off pred - it can take a year, sometimes even longer, to get back to normal. The longer you were on pred, the longer it takes usually.

You will find all sorts of stuff on the internet about this idea that they can become fatigued and how to make your adrenal glands work again/better. The majority of it is woo - honestly - and is a made-up "condition".

I googled "scientific medicine adrenal function" and the best links that came up were from sciencebasedmedicine, hormonedotorg and medicalnewstoday. All are written in easy to understand language and are far quicker for me to tell you than if I wrote the same - which I would. 

Does this answer your question? If not, tell me what you still don't get and I'll try again.

• Posted

PS - the moderated post was the same but used a phrase that the computer catches - alternative "therapists" trying to sell their products use it all the time. I should know better by now...

• Posted

thanks for your very details explanation.  Guess its different for each person.  Just cant seem to feel comfortable with this disease.  so many components. But I'm stuck in it, can't change that.

• Posted

Since we are discussing the Adrenal Glands...I read this morning that the recyclable #7 plastic bottles, containers are a concern for chemical leaching into food & drink. They are made using BPA & are not standardized. BPA is a Xenoestrogen which is a known Endoctrine Disruptor. the Adrenals & much more are part of the Endoctrine System. I have been using a double-sided  #7 cup to keep my water cool all day. Not going to use that any more. Gosh, we don't need any more things playing against our health!

• Posted

I have a chart from a well known Canadian environmental organization listing the safety of various kinds of plastics.  It's actually shocking that you could even buy a reusable drinking vessel made from #7.  According to this chart, which is a few years old, the safest and can be reused are #s 2,4,5.  All the others, including the notorious #1 used for most bottled water, should not be reused.

• Posted

I broke down and purchased a stainless steel insulated cup, big name brand, won't mention, but it's costly, but wow, it really keeps ice frozen for hours. Love it. Worth the money. Water taste so much better cold. 

• Posted

Haha.  Different strokes for different folks.  Cold water hurts my teeth, I drink it room temperature; don't cringe, Layne - we do have good water.  And my stainless steel cup comes with me to save on paper or styrofoam cups when buying tea or coffee when on the go.  

• Posted

Same here Anhaga - I don't mind water out of the fridge and it certainly doesn't need ice then but usually drink it at room temperature if it is sparkling at home and at tap temperature if it is non-sparkling. Cannot abide the vast quantities of ice used in the US - and they look at you as if you are crackers when you tell them not to put any in!

It's actually better for you not to have it too cold - and warm drinks have been shown to be the most cooling. Drinking a very cold drink is a shock to the stomach and blood rushes there - removing it from the periphery so you vasoconstrict, making it more difficult to cool down. The Brits and their cup of tea on a hot day aren't that crazy!

• Posted

Well I live in the south and its darn hot here, so lately the ice has been a welcomed thing, yes...us Southerners love our iced tea!  

I don't drink it much due to caffeine.  And Fortunely we have well water, so it does taste great!  I know some people find it hard to drink water, so that's why I said it taste better cold.  Like a wine that's not too good...put it in the refrigerator and drink it cold...Hee, Hee, surprisingly it tastes better. 

I've been enjoying hit teas more now, found dandelion, roasted, tastes good and is almost like coffee. And is it Anhaga who talks of Ginger?  I Boiled up some ginger yesterday.  

Do y'all have  cocoa butter (some kind of pressed cacao, chocolate flavor)  there?  I found a company who makes "healthier products" and they sent me some, wow, pretty tasty in tea or coffee. 

• Posted

In the US cultural differences between Canadians and Americans becomes apparent when you order tea.  You have to specify hot tea, and nearly always it arrives as a cup of just boiled water with a teabag placed on the saucer so you have to dunk it yourself into the rapidly cooling liquid.  If you don't specify they give you iced tea.

• Posted

I thought you might be in a hot place!  🍺

• Posted

Which is why I don't drink tea when in the USA! I'm not paying for a grotty t-bag and warm water,,, We carry a travel kettle and Tetley t-bags (although we did find some quite decent ones in the Hilton in Chicago and on the cruise ship). There's almost always a shop with milk around somewhere - even in China.

Canada was a revelation...

• Posted

One of the best things I ever bought - a travel kettle for my regular Rooibos (redbush) tea or my own brand of instant coffee - but much prefer 'real' coffee!

• Posted

Trying to remember when we got ours - but I do know it is at least 21 years old! Doesn't owe us a penny it has been used so much! It lives in a bag in the boot/trunk together with a small teapot, 2 mugs and 2 duralex glasses (for wine) and an airtight box of t-bags. When we travel with the car I add a couple of small tetrapaks of UHT milk. 

Can't "do" Rooibos - have tried.

• Posted

Sound like you really have got your money's worth - mine is not quite that old!   I also have my own mug (non-breakable child's mug) and like you an air tight container for the tea bags.  I prefer redbush as I don't take milk in tea or coffee but during our recent trip to Turkey rather took to the locals brew of Apple tea - very refreshing.  Never thought of taking a Duralex glass for the wine but I do confess to drinking it from my mug? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.