ADULT Glue Ear/ Hearing problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

Everytime I research anything to do with glue ear it always refers to children. So I am here for answers. I am 23years old and I have in recent weeks lost nearly 50% of my hearing due to glue ear. I suffered with glue ear as a child and had 2 sets of gromits, aidinoids and tonsils removed. I havnt suffered with bad ears for 10 years. Now its worse than ever! At work in the office I cannot hear if anyone is talking to me. What can I do? Another set of gromits would help but is there anything more permenant for an adult that could help? I would also love to know why at 23 I am still getting something I should have grown out of years ago.

Many Thanks, Abbie.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Glue ear is more prevalent in children but can happen in adults too. There is something I came across called Otovent I think it can be bought on Amazon and you can read reviews on it on their website. I do not know if it is any good or not.
  • Posted

ask a couple of chemists, they will sort it out

most are good as doc's

• Posted

I suddenly had glue ear after being sick with tinnitus aged 6l never had any problems before.  Because of suddenly hearing loss, I had an MRI scan, the ENT consultant  thinks I had an attack of Labyrinthitis but I maybe had had too much sun, we shall never know.  Anyway there is a device called an ear popper the consultant told me about costs about £90 sell in Boots online with this and using Optovent and the Valsalva manover.  My hearing has improved a little, taken over a year,  Hospital discharged me consultant says I am a success, did not want to fit grommitts, have a earing aid but not using now.  See the reviews about the ear popper on Boots website. Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.