Advice about post-surgery recovery period

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I want to prepare for the post-op recovery. I've never had surgery, so I don't know what to expect. I have a cancerous tumour and I am having about 30% of my large intestine removed. I am 49 and in good health. I have a partner, but she will be working and I want to be as independent as possible and minimise the impact on her.

Firstly, can you tell me how it was for you after surgery in the hospital. Ideally I hope to do some work on my laptop, but if that is not possible, I will use my tablet. If that is not possible, I plan to read and watch videos on the tablet.

Can you give many insights from your experiences that might help me prepare?

One problem I have is I am gluten intolerent and, even though I have told the hospital about my condition, I am concerned that they will make a misake. I can take my own cereal in, but I can't take in everything.

For my return home, I plan to pre-prepare and freeze meals that I can microwave. I was thinking I will make pasta and I will have lots of cans of soup. Did you find any food and drink types preferable? Is there any food types you avoided?

Again, can you give me any insights to help me prepare?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First question I have to ask, do you have a stoma?

Next thing, you will be guided by your medical team in what you can/can't do. Do expect to be way more tired than you think you will be- afternoon naps will happen!

I can't really comment on how you will be after surgery- mine was major, major surgery so made a huge impact on what I could & couldn't do. Should be no reason why you can't use a laptop or tablet. If you are a reader, also have some e-books on your tablet, and some audio books too.

• Posted

No stoma as far as I know. I know I will have a catheter and will be stabled up (my gut) and I will not be allowed to get out of bed by myself for the first 24 hours. I think you're right that I will be more tired than I expect. I'll be on a morphine pump.I guess I'll have to take it as it come. Thanks for your comments. I'll definately have a few books with me.

• Posted

We meet again!  As I mentioned in the previous thread, the post op recovery was quite benign.  The procedure was carried out by means on keyhole surgery.  There were three incisions about half an inch long, two for the implements and one for the viewing device, and a longer one through which the excised bit was removed.  All healed very rapidly and did not need dressings.  Obviously the stomach muscles were affected so there were some twinges when moving, but nothing too bad.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I was only in for 4 days after the op, this was not for any treatment, the only medication supplied was pain killers and anti-sickness tablets, if required.  I didn't need the anti-sickness tablets and only needed the painkillers for the first day after the op (I hate taking pills if I don't actually need them!).  The only reason for the stay in hospital was the need to demonstrate that the digestive system is working end to end, so to speak.  As soon as this is achieved I was out, pronto.  It is necessary, by the way, to be collected from the ward by someone, they don't allow you simply to wander off and get a taxi - at least they didn't in the hospital that I attended.

I wasn't really in for long enough to explore things like wi-fi availabilty and so on so didn't bother to take either tablet or lap top - taking too much stuff in is not a good idea.  My Kindle, though, was very useful not only for the time I was an in-patient but even more so when I was going through chemo, there is a heck of  lot of time sitting around for this.  I did find out (after I had completed the treatment!) that wi-fi was available in the day ward where the chemo was carried out.

Being gluten intolerant, like yourself, I advised the hospital of this when I went for pre-op.  It didn't help!  My requirements seem to come as a bit of a surprise and I think they had to nip out to the nearest Tesco to get some bread to make me toast for the first breakfast!  Subsequent meals were also a little difficult and I had to do my own investigations when the menu came round.  It all worked OK in the end but I would have expected better in a hospital.  Perhaps the hospital that you will be using is better organised, I hope so.  One bonus from the chemo, by the way, is that it clobbers the immune system so you will likely find, as I did, that your gluten intolerance is reduced quite significantly.

You might find it a good idea to join Coeliac UK, they provide a very comprehensive food directory and an app which helps to find suitable food products and restaurants in the locality that cater for the requirements.  When I was going through chemo I was often in the condition that I couldn't be bothered to prepare meals from scratch and I found that Wiltshire Farm Foods provide meals to suit all dietary requirements including gluten free.  I buy most of my groceries etc on-line because all major suppliers allow one to specify a gluten free requirement when listing products and also have a wider range of products than is available in-store.

Perhaps I should finish by saying that I was 77 when diagnosed and 78 when op took place.  A fit youngster like you should have no problems!

I hope that this has helped and that you find the regime as straightforward as I did.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you, Anthony, for your thoughts. I am surprised that chemo reduced your gluten intolerance. I suppose it makes sense. I hadn't thought about the effect of radiation on the condition. I think I will take gluten-free bread and cereal with me, and try to avoid anything (sauce) that might contain gluten. I imagine that gluten would play hell with the intestine after surgery. The pre-op nurse did seem alarmingly oblivious to the condition. I'm in Canada, by the way. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.