Advice and encouragement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello...I just joined this forum and am hoping to hear some good things. I am one week post op hip replacement. I am 56 and was in fairly good shape going into this. Soon as they had me walking I felt that my leg was longer and doc confirmed it saying it was minimal. My question is I feel bad. I have been doing the exercises with physio but am not walking lots. Am I impatient? Pain is one thing but the "feeling bad" is what is bothering me. I felt better going into operation. I appreciate any thoughts and should I not feel so guilty about resting a lot? Thanks!!!!

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I felt"bad" for 3 weeks!!! No probs with hip, no drugs just paracetamol, no pain. Just felt awful!!
    • Posted

I have both so this is just my recovery I guess.
  • Posted

Hi Savy

Welcome to the forum

What you have gone through is a major op. All of us heal in different ways. The one thing I have deen on here since joining is the ammount of folk that rush things then complain they are in pain.

This is not a sprint to be the firtsa one to do XY or Z it is not a race at all. You listen to your body and do as you see fit for yourself. You will sleep a lot. You will get up days and down days. But if you need to let off steam becauser your having a bad day this is the very place to do it because we have ALL or are ALL going to be there some day. Just go with the flow. It is a lot mharder in winter to get motivated because of the weather. as long as you walk round the house a little do your excersizes and make the most of the freash ate out side when ever you are safe to do so you will be fine. The better weather won't be far away and as long as you keep moving come spring you will be able to walk pretty well and further than you may have thought..

• Posted

Thank-you....I am glad to hear that. I read so much that people are up and around and tossing their walking aids etc......so I wondered if I had set my expectations too high......I will take it easy today and not beat myself up about itsmile
  • Posted

I am now 13 days post op had the staples taken this morning, feeling a bit sore, but I am glad that they are out, I 30 all told, I have good days and bad days, don't feel guilty about resting, I am at fault because I keep trying to do too much and then my scar aches, I don't have to have physio, but my surgeon says walking is the best exercise, little and often and keep on with the pain killers
  • Posted

Hi Savy,

Hailea gave you some pretty good advice.  Don't believe the superman tales you wad about.  They are the exceptions.  The first two weeks are tough, every week thereafter seems to get better.  Although everyone is different, you should feel much better in a few weeks.  You will have good days and bad, achievements and setbacks.  Sometimes mood swings and unexplained sadness.  Whenever I had difficulty or felt down I reached out to my fellow hippies in this forum.  He best advice is to be patient and kind to yourself.  Every week gets better.  

• Posted

Thanks so much...I have never been a part of a forum before and I honestly feel that these are the best people to know exactly what I am going thru! 
  • Posted

Yes Savy recovery is tough and confusing. That's why most people have joined. So welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're right on track!

Enjoy the opportunity to rest, because that's what your body needs most. Physio can't make bones knit to the prosthesis or the muscles and skin reunite. Physio can only strengthen the muscles that haven't been damaged. Time is necessary.

And yes, this is one of the most amazing group of people!

Keena

• Posted

Yes i have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.....I was feeling soo down yesterday but realize what I am going through is quite normal. It

sure is comforting as it is scarey to think I am not doing good....Physio

said my hip is all good just my body has to catch up. Thanks again!!!!

• Posted

I posted a few weeks ago because I was feeling down and just wanted everyone's support. It's so nice to know there are others who understand. For me posting marked a turning point and now life is great!
  • Posted

Hi Savy, 

welcome to our hippies family - 

it is pretty normal that there is a difference in length of legs - it will settle in the coming months - you are still so early in your recovery - first 2 weeks are challeging - just listen to your body - don't be hard on your self - it is so easy to do and feel bad because you feel that you are not doing enough - All well meaning advice but unless you had THR surgery your self, they don;t know what you feel - feeling guilty is NOT part of it okay?  

you do your exercises the best you can - maybe walk a little around the house first - and rest - stretch your body and legs and rest - It is not easy because we always want to do something, be productive etc ... 

The other thing for me was/is that I was told in the hospital: "remember, you are NOT sick, and therefore not to stay in bed "

maybe not sick, but hells and bells, we had major surgery !!!

be gentle with your self - and please come back here anytime 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you so much! Reading everyones comments is truly helping...I did put a small lift in the slipper. My left knee was hurting so bad and that seemed to releive a little pressure....it can be so conflicting as for what to do....My physio told me yesterday to be walking more/ice/meds.....i used the cane all day and had a brutal night....I was quite fit going into this but realize its going to be slow and accept itsmile Thanks again!
    • Posted

Physios are often interested in us walking more. But they haven't been through it, and don't have our bodies. I think it is wise to walk as much as you can but not past the point where the pain increases too much. The body is a better guide to our activity level than the physio.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.