Advice needed !!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I see my psych on tues and don t know what to do.

I have severe pnd and am on 45mg of mirtazapine, have been for 8 months. Also 150mg if venlaflaxine and diazepam.

I think the mirt helps me sleep but I feel like death every morning. In a fog heavy head. I get tension headaches some days and feel out of it. I know it is not the diazepam as on a low dose early eve and have taken it on and off for years. I ve only been on the venlaflaxine for 7 weeks and think it is helping but the mirt side effects may be making it harder.

The psych will want to put the venlaflaxine up to 225 but I think I should reduce the mirt. I am not sure it is the mirt doing this but it is the obvious culprit. I know I will have to reduce slowely but I just want rid of it. I think I ve been more anxious on it.

Any advice or experience ? Have people found mirt causes a hangover or increased anxiety ? Tapering advice ? I know 10 % every 3 to 4 weeks so it will take at least 7 or 8 months to get 15. Also worried as more sedating at lower doses but I'm sure I was not this bad on 15mg.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had this chat with my doc the other day. I am on 45mg only (no other meds) i can go days feel8ng fine then the next i feel like i have had a heavy night the night before. He says this can happen. X speak to your doc, or psych. X
    • Posted

It does. My anxiety has reduced greatly and can finally see light when there was only darkness before. I am no where near where i want to be but on the right road. I have been on 45mg for 4 weeks so still a newbie.x but it is working for me x hope this helps.x
  • Posted

Hi Sarah - I've been on mirt for 8 years. No problems. However, initially I was on venlafaxine (efexor) and it was hell. That particular drug has been known to cause suicidal ideation in some patients. It was a rollercoaster ride with tingling electric-like problems with joints, headaches, and the occassional swooping feeling like I was falling. It should be noted that AD drugs effect everyone differently and what's sauce for the gander might cook the goose. Best of luck to you, and I hope your doctor is a good one.  

• Posted

Yes Sarah, foggy head is a common side effect.  Mirt contains sedative and for me I was sedated 24/7, for some it wears off in the morning but not for me.  

You are right to be cautious to taper, I woyld say the same, no more than 10% every 3-4 weeks.  I did 5% every 2 weeks using liquid Mirt available in the UK.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.