Advice needed

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 22 years old and found out that I have PCOS in Dec 2013. At the time I was taking the mini pill (can't remember the name) but due to how much pain I was experiencing by not having regular periods, I decided to stop taking the pill in March 2014. I have not been on any other contraception since then and me and my fiance have regular sex and ever since I stopped taking the pill I have had regular periods (like clockwork) every month for over a year. In July, I came on my period a week earlier than expected (July 3rd)which I thought was odd, due to how regular they have been. I have waited 4 weeks from the date of my last period and now I am 4 days late. My breasts are swollen, painful and my nipples have enlarged slightly. My fiance commented that my nipples are darker, almost looking bruised. I have experienced lower abdominal cramps, feeling tired, moody and feeling sick after eating. Pain in my breasts and adominal cramps have been the norm since I stopped taking my pill and would be coming on my period so could this just be a missed period and still having period symptoms or could I be pregnant because of the missed period after so much regularity and symptoms? I'm afraid to take a pregnancy test and worried that if it comes back negative, I could still be pregnant after knowing several other woman who have had this happen. If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jodie,

I am in a similar situation. I don't have PCOS, however I had an abdominal scan and it showed a cyst (which has now reduced in size).

I had the mirena in for almost 3 years and got it out a few months ago. I had my period straight away and it has been regular since. My partner and I are TTC which is why I got it out, so we have regular sex, especially around the time I'm due to ovulate.

I thought I was pregnant twice because my period was late and my breasts were aching, my nipples had gotten darker, I was having cramps, feeling tired, etc. But, AF came a few days later. Now this month my period was 6 days early and I don't know why.

Are you TTC? I'm not trying to put a downer on if you are TTC, but the same thing has happened to me twice and tbh I think I should have been pregnant because we were having sex every 1-3 days. I am thinking has it something to do with the cyst that I have now that I have read your post and the fact that you have PCOS.

I suppose for you the only way to find out if you are pregnant is to do a pregnancy test. If you're 4 days late then it should be able to pick up enough pregnancy hormone to detect a pregnancy.

Either way, let me know!

Leah

• Posted

Hi Leah,

That's definitely similar to me. 3rd July I got my period a week early which I hasn't happened for over a year and now I'll be a week late tomorrow. Me and my fiancé aren't actively TTC but we've said if it happens then it happens. Every time I get my period I have sore boobs for a couple of days but it's a lot more painful this time and they seem swollen. It's probably just because I've missed a period but my body doesn't think so. I'm just paranoid because I've been so regular and haven't missed one for over a year. I think I'll wait until Saturday to do a test and will let you know. Thanks for the reply.. it's nice to know I'm not the only one who goes through things like this!

Jodie smile

• Posted

No prob smile

Yeah it was real disheartening when I was late and did like 3 pregnancy tests a day and then my period came a few days later rolleyes

I don't even bother anymore. If it's late like 2 weeks I'll prob do one but I think it's because I wanted it so much it was worse when I got a negative pregnancy test as well as my late period.

But, yes, let me know what happens smile

Leah

• Posted

Hi Leah,

Just an update for you. Taken 3 pregnancy tests today and turns out I am pregnant. Clearblue test says 2-3 weeks. Bit shocked because I didn't think I could get pregnant naturally! Gotta long way to go now but fingers crossed all will be ok smile

Jodie smile

• Posted

Ah! Congratulations! That''s brilliant! You'll enjoy every minute smile I wish you all the best smile

Leah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.