Advice needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had PA for 20 years and have 12 weekly injections. I must say I don't feel much benefit from them. I also like most of you feel foggy headed causing lightheadedness experience. Is there anything you guys take which helps alleviate symptoms of lightheadedness? Does anyone also get benefit from taking regular folic acid to keep ferritin levels up - if so can you buy over the counter and what strength?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beverley. You probably need more regular b12.

Once b12 enters your blood it uses folate to become active and enter your cells to carry out repair. Once b12 has metabolised to your cells your body will use ferritin (iron stores) to produce new blood cells.

If folate is low your b12 will not activate efficiently.

Ask for a folate and ferritin test. Aim to have your folate in the top end of range. Ferritin is best at around 80.

Folic acid raises folate and iron raises ferritin.

Add a b complex daily to balance your other b vitamins. Eat potassium rich food to keep potassium level good. Epsom salt baths are good for magnesium.

Check your thyroid function and vit d levels too.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Heather. My blood levels are fine checked 2 weeks prior to next inj. How do I get rid of this foggy head feeling. Is it worth taking a multivit would that help or would I not be able to absorb. With having the vitamin PA deficiency?
    • Posted

You may need more b12 injections. Look up b12 patches or strong sublingual lozenges if you can't get by injection.
    • Posted

hi heather, am not sure if you are the same person on the facebook group, my sons folate and b12 are low, but ferritin seems too be ok, if he starts b12 and folate does that mean his ferritin will drop? thanks
    • Posted

Yes jazzy I am in a FB group. Ferritin can drop with b12 treatment. Ask for regular testing during b12 treatment. I ask for mine every 6 months.
    • Posted

They won't agree to more freq b12 injs.than every 3 months as they say my blood levels are fine::-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.