Advice needed on coming off tablets

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I am due to have a endoscopy in 2 weeks and have to come off my esomeprazole and raniditine.  I am being checked for gastritis and HP.  I am only supposed to take gaviscon.  I am concerned as this does not work for me, neither does the advance version.  I have only been off for 2 days and already stomach burning, with acid in throat.  I find it strange that they want you to get sick so that they can check what is going on. Do you have any ideas on what else I can take or what foods to eat or drinks that can help whilst doing this.  I am not being negative but have been on PPI's for nearly 10 years so concerned about these 2 weeks. Thanks

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get check fo c. Diff as being on poi for that amount of time you are a prime candidate to have it
    • Posted

HI thanks for your reply, I think I am being checked for HP and hopefully C Diff as well.  I do have diverticular so problems with gut the norm for me as well.  
  • Posted

Hi youngatheart1, hmm I'd go back to the doctor as I've had this done and know exactly what it feels like ask your chemist if your doctor is no use and see what they suggest maybe between you can help to decide the best way to go. The test is to see your guts reaction to what is going on, it's nasty I know but you need to get to the route cause of the problem like I did! Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Sam, I spoke to chemist and they said not to just stop but to reduce amount for a few days.  I have taken the eqivalent of 10mg esomeprazole so far today and brought some rennie's so will see how that goes. It just seems mad to flair up the problems again especially as the pain was going slowly, for them to tell you to start treatment again, but best in the long run to be sure. Take care
  • Posted

I too am having one in a few weeks !! not looking forward to that for sure , my doc hasnt told me to stop taking omoprozole but i did stop taking it 2 or 3 weeks ago , i have suffered with terrible heartburn and acid but have managed with loads of peppermint settlers and gaviscon , Brian can i ask what c diff is ? as i have been on Omoprozole for many years too ?
    • Posted

It is a nasty Bacteria that can get in your small intestines particularly if you have been on protein pump inhibitors and or antibiotics like amoxicillin, keflex or any antibiotics that are in there class
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, my GP did not say either, it was on the letter from the hospital, but it is hell having been on PPI's for so long.  Would love to come off completely but when I try to cut down boy do I know it.  Gaviscon makes me heave LOL it smells like germolene but will have to keep trying. I keep reading about long term use especially regarding low vits, but my GP has not once sent me for a test to check.  Hope your test goes well, mine is on the 18th so will let you know what happens.
    • Posted

If you mean that you GP has not has you tested for vitamin or minerat deficiencies, ask him if her for the tests. Say that you are concerned and would like to know.
    • Posted

Hi, I am going to as I think I may iron deficient as I am really tired and cold all the time. GP said I could be magnesium also which is why she reduced PPI, but did not offer tests. Do you know if a full blood count checks for vits/mineral or is it a different test? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi, I am going to as I think I may iron deficient as I am really tired and cold all the time. GP said I could be magnesium also which is why she reduced PPI, but did not offer tests. Do you know if a full blood count checks for vits/mineral or is it a different test? Thanks
    • Posted

From my limited experience, I believe that the doctor orders a test for each specific mineral or vitamin. In your case, you would most likely want to be tested for magnesium and iron. I'm not sure if there are other vitamin deficiencies that come along with using PPIs over a long period. Depending on where you live, you may have to pay for the tests.

• Posted

Hi. i am on esomeprazole too. i do find very low fat milk (the 1% one) really soothes my tummy if it feels "hot" or burning, or if i have a bit of indigestion. also rennie ice tablets good too. i have tried going to every other day with esomeprazole before, but i get nightime reflux so do need them daily. but milk also soothes my frequent nausea in the mornings too - it naturally neutralises acid. i was going to ask my gp next time i see her if there is a 10mg esomeprazole tablet instead of 20mg & see if i can try that & see if i manage, as i have heard ppi's are not good to take long term, but if they work whats the alternative long term? hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Looloo, will give that a go.  To be honest apart from when trying to come off tablets I do not get acid, it is the burning stomach and pain between breast area that gets me.  Take care
  • Posted

Hi     please try SLIPPERY ELM POWDER available at health food stores it is harmless and nourishing, soothing and can bc taken several times aday to absorb access acid (if that is your prob); keep drinking plenty of water during the day too.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks, I will call into health shop tomorrow and get some and see how that goes. Will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.