Advice, not sure what to do

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

2 years ago I started getting really bad attacks I didn't no what they were, then I was told I had Gall stones, I was quite frightened because I didn't want to have an op, I've never been put to sleep an this really scares me plus my nan had the op and she still can't eat normal and suffers with her tummy. I changed my diet and lost weight and for 2 years I was free of any pain or attacks, I recently lost my grandad and started slipping with my diet and have just stuffers 3 attack in a month (I forgot how painful they are!) I am now frightened to eat or drink incase it happens again I don't think I could take another one right now. I've been pain free now for 4 days, I have a holiday coming up at the end of sept am in Florida for a month am terrified now incase I suffer over there, can anyone give me any more advice on how to live with them until I gain the courage to get it out.

Many thanks

Emma

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma have you tried apple cider vinegar? You put 1 tablespoon in
    • Posted

1 Tablespoon in warm water 3 times a day and drink it.
    • Posted

Sorry typing from my phone and it keeps posting. Also drink as much apple juice as you can. It can help dissolve the stones. Also milk thistle is a herb commonly used for gallbladder problems which are usually associated with high estrogen levels.It works by detoxing the liver which helps the bile flow more freely as gallstones are usually formed when bile becomes thick and sludgy. Are you on birth control pills at all? They can add to the problems. I would recommend getting an ultrasound done to check you have no stones stuck in your ducts prior to travelling anywhere just to be on the safe side. Finally make sure you have travel insurance just in case. X
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks very much, I haven't tried apple juice I did try grape juice once but I couldn't drink it, I came off birth control 2 years ago when the attacks started as the doctor said is a trigger. I haven't heard of apple cider vinegar am not sure I like the sound of that lol

Thank you

• Posted

Meant to say if your on any ant acids they can also aggravate the gallbladder. Try the apple juice and if you can the apple cider vinegar. You can actually put the apple cider vinegar into the apple juice instead of the water. Good luck x
    • Posted

The doctor gave me omeprazole to take one a day but I haven't took them am too scared incase they aggravate it
  • Posted

Hi Emma

I was like you too.I have tried everything but once those attacks start they are going to come back. What I would advise is check up on your travel insurance just in case something happens abroad and you need treatment. Try and avoid fats. I have my op on the 10th september so scared but i know there is no other choice. 

Kind Regards

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I have good travel insurance thank you, oh you are very brave I really hope I can do it after u hol, with it being 2 years between attacks I forgot how painful and scary they can be and its got me worried now

• Posted

Hi Emma, I put my op off for 8 years in the end I just couldnt cope. Attacks were daily. In the beginning All I did was cut out foods I felt were triggers.

The apple juice thing is a myth. I tried everything from apple juice to homeopathy. Diet worked best but unfortunately not forever. I had over 70 stones when I had mine removed so explained the constant pain. On one hand I hear the story's of people who haven't got better after their op and am glad I waited. I had everything under the sun tested first to rule other causes out but then on the other I wish i'd done it 4 years earlier! I did have it booked 3 years ago but fell pregnant and then booked again and got pregnant again so 3rd time lucky.

I hope you manage to get yours under control.

• Posted

Hi renee

Am so glad that being scared and trying other things isn't just me!, the diet really did work for me for 2 years but I had a bad time and started bring bits bk I shouldn't an I think it build up and then exploded if I could get another 2 years that would b great! At the moment my holiday is worrying me I never have it a thought when we booked because they had gone! (Well kind of) but with this little bout it's brought all the worry bk, good luck and I hope it's 3rd time lucky for you.

I must say tho my GP isn't trying to push me to bet the op he actually doesn't mention surgery at all

• Posted

ive just recently been diagnose with gallstones and my doctor said if i can manage she would prefer i dont have op ..ive changed my diet to lactose free milk and cheese ,no dairy and gluten free it seems to be helping ,i have I B S,  and divaticular also but at the moment all seem ok , i also have apple cider vinegar which is helping.......hope this helps 
    • Posted

Hi dawn

That's what my doctor told me, I don't have milk butter or eggs, I don't eat anything fried or any processed meat, i eat extra lean red meats an chicken am Turkey without skin, I've have all diet drinks, don't drink orange Juice as I found that aggravated me but other fruit juices seem to have been ok, I make my meals fresh so I no what's in them and I don't use any oils to cook in only water if needed, I us all non stick pans and a steamer, I have jellys and flumps as treats.

How do you use the apple cider vinegar?

Hope you keep having success

• Posted

We all understand how you feel, I'm sure i speak for everyone responding that we all slipped up once or twice while waiting for surgery and had another attack that reminded us why we even considered surgery in the first place.

Try to keep a food diary from now until you leave and if you have any more attacks between now and then you will know some of the foods to avoid when on vacation. I found that worked best for me when I went on vacations. Its tough being on vacation and trying to avoid high fat foods as they are every where. Avoid fast food places and try to eat the lowest fat foods you possibly can. Florida is nice from the stand point that their is lots of places that offer fresh healthy low fat foods for very reasonable prices. Just enjoy your vacation. Good luck! smile

• Posted

Hi

Thanks hopefully all will be ok once things get back to normal after this bout

• Posted

Orange juice, eggs, cheese, milk and towards the end wheat! Also too much salt were my triggers. I thought I had food intolerances rather then gallstones. I did read if it was intolerances then having my gallbladder removed wouldn't help so I put it off.

Funnily I went Florida in 2011 and had a fantastic time! Didn't have any attacks and ate lots! I kept watching videos on YouTube on what to do. My daughter kept looking at rights and I looked at the food videos! Lobster and steak!! Yum!

Try not to worry. Take painkillers and buscopan with you.

You can buy apple cider vinegar on Amazon. buy apple cider with mother, it's supposed to be the best. And you take a teaspoon in a glass of water with honey and sometimes lemon and cinnamon. I hated it. Cause couldn't mask the vinegar.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I've just ordered some apple juice and apple cider vinigar from my local supermarket I will give it a go an see what happens, I've heard eating grapes everyday can help as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.