Advice on consultants, Varicose Vein treatment in Suffolk or south east

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know this has been done previously but as a new comer would welcome anybody's recommendations for a consultant/cy, who someone has had a good experience with for this problem, it is for my wife who has some badly distended veins and fine spider veins and after putting it off for years has finally agrred to deal with them.

We would go up to London if neccessary but it would be good if there was someone in East of England.

Also can anyone pass comment on the effectiveness of the more modern treatments, ie not vein stripping, and whether they are long lasting and deal with the legs aching

Many thanks for any replies in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had VNUS Closure recently along with sclerotherapy. Unfortunately I am not in the East of England. I could have driven home but got a friend to give me a lift just in case. I was swimming the following week. The great thing is it is under local anaesthetic and the whole procedure on one leg for me took just over twenty minutes. Apparently it has a better success rate than the older method of stripping. Is your wife able to get it done through the NHS? I went privately. The important thing is to get someone who does the procedure regularly, don't get a learner!! 
  • Posted

Hello!

I had vein ablation done on my left leg two years ago. I also had treatments for spider veins.

Sorry to say NEITHER helped me! I still have pain and swelling from my "leaky valves", and NEW spider veins started coming back within a couple months.

I just had a total left knee replacement four weeks ago on that same left leg, and I am SURE that at least SOME OF my pain and swelling is due to those old valve and varicose vein issues.

At the time I was most concerned about Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), so I trusted that the vein ablation, done with laser, would eliminate any concerns I would have about that. They were satisfied that issue was addressed by the procedure, so it wasn't ALL a waste of time and money.

Talk to the surgeon to find out what procedures are to help which issues. For me it was NEVER about the COSMETIC aspect.

Things that help:

1) Elevate both legs. I lay on the floor and have my feet/legs straight up in the air against the wall. Anything less than this really doesn't do much, but THIS brings INSTANT relief! (Our son, a runner and extreme athlete does this EVERY NIGHT!)

2) COMPRESSION BANDAGES aare your friend! They are easy to put on and take off and are a lot less pricy than the compression hose. I use the ones from my surgery. These are Ace bandages. I especially like using them at night. They are also VERY SOOTHING during the day. They work MUCH BETTER than ICE?

3). ICE definitely is your FRIEND! Icing, though, is a sit-down sport, and I can't always just SIT THERE! Try this WHEN you were planning on watching TV or just relaxing with a good book.

I wish your wife the best. Hope this helps.

• Posted

After suffering for years on end (probably around 7 years now) obviously the case has got worse over the years, but my mum is now going privately to have laser treatment in Kent. Does anyone have any tips on pain reliefs? Support tights and painkillers are doing zero at the mo and has at least 6 weeks to wait for an appointment date.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.