Advice on Hiatial Hernia open surgery incision

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an open Hiatial Hernia op over 9 weeks ago and have not yet had a post  op appointment (yeah true).  I see the District Nurses twice a week for my wound to be dressed (it was infected and not healing properly but it is getting better) and I had a peg tube fitted as part of the procedure (it doesn't actually do anything other than 'hold' the surgery in place.  I am feeling a lot better and am doing a lot more but over the last few days the top part of my stomach has felt sore and hard to the touch.  It isn't red and I don't feel unwell at all but it hurts to lean forward and it is sore when I walk.  I have no one to really ask about this and wasn't given any literature to take home with me either.  Is this hardness common?  Do you think it is just scar tissue forming or something to worry about.  It isn't a severe pain - just soreness and it doesn't keep me awake at night.  I can eat, drink and get about...

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had an infection in the wound following an incisional hernia operation. It has healed now and there is some hardness and very mild pain sometimes. A nurse has mentioned scar tissue and nerve damage. I do wear an abdominal binder most of the time, even at night. It's actually quite comfortable. I did have cellulitis as well 5 months ago, which meant 5 days in hospital and antibiotics, but the redness has almost disappeared. Keep asking questions when the nurses come. I found them very helpful. Good luck! 
  • Posted

Hi Also had incisional hernia open repair with mesh and a tummy tuck at the same time as this was my fifth adominal op and quite frankly my abdomen was a mess.  It is now 8 months since my surgery and I have not had any followup  from any medical person of any kind.  If you are concerned when you are feeling well enough make an appointment and go see your doctor.  One of these days I will get around too it.  I am still v sore in the areas you mention, and try to avoid bending forward, I ignore it as much as possible, but may well take the advise and wear a corset instead of a binder wear nothing currently as was not advised to do this.  There is not a lot out there for us poor souls who suffer hernia disease, but I am determined to be glad I am alive and enjoy the rest of my life.  Bon chance ilovepodge from shirley dancer thin as a rail done ballet all my life.
  • Posted

Hi there, in your position I would definitely have a follow up appointment with my doctor, he will put your mind at rest. I like to help myself, but to be honest I will always ask my doctor first. If he says everything is okay, then I will look further at natural remedies, sometimes all that is needed is a bit more rest. And you will need rest after your operation. Good luck, take care, Lizzie
  • Posted

Hi ilovepodge

you body has been through a great deal of surgical trauma

it takes time to recover from a thorocotomy just  to repair a hiatus hernia i know as i have had 4 open proceedures at this early stage after your op it is normal for the tissue near your scar line to be tight and numb to the touch you have to remember that although you look healed on the outside it takes far longer to heal on the inside as time moves on all your cut nerve endings in your abdomen and chest will heal and the tighness you feel will loosen of . and you will start to get more feeling in the numb areas surrounding your scar. your stomach has had a lot of sugical handling and repostioning in your abdomen it is not uncommon to get constipation or diarrhoea after this type of surgery which can be controlled by oral meds your stomach will feel a bit hard or tender for a while.dont overdo things if you are in pain or discomfort sit down and rest put your feet up.rest is the key word to allow your body to heal. dont lift anything and avoid bending down as it puts pressure on your diaphragm .

wishing a good recovery back to full health

Andrew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.