Advice on hip physio classes

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi I am 2 weeks post op and am managing my first excercises easily. I have been given no follow up sessions at all other than the 6 week check with the surgeon. I keep hearing on this site about hydrotherapy and hip classes and wonder how to access this kind of thing. I am in edinburgh Scotland.

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lallydye

Like you, I have not been given any physio, post op. I have searched on line for physio and exercises for THR. here are some 'interesting' sites, but there are also some videos and booklets by NHS hospitals which have proved invaluable. 

I shall follow this thread with great interest - thank you for posting it.

Michael

• Posted

Thanks Michael, I will look for these booklets and videos.  Alison x
  • Posted

Hi I am due my 6 weeks check up and physio early next week and like you was given basic exercises, I was advised just to do these but regularly and increasing repetitions as well as walking daily. I think this varies depending where you live.I will know more next week and will update you. Don't feel you have to be doing more, easy does it😀

Sounds like you are doing great.

I am from Nottinghamshire

• Posted

Thanks Susan.  I must say I am frustrated with the physio service here.  I had a previous problem with my neck several years ago and the physio appointemnts took 8 weeks to get and were very unsatisfactory.  I am going to get some private physio starting week 3. x
    • Posted

Hi Lallydye

please do not start any physio till you are cleared to do so by your surgeon you will do more harm than good. 

• Posted

Hi Lallydye

if you feel you need physio your GP can book you some sessions. I would advise doing this ASAP because if you can't persuade your surgeon to do it it  you may be waiting a while longer than if your surgeon booked you in. Maybe you could have a word at your 6 week check. 

• Posted

I can echo this. My wife is still waiting for her physio (ankle injury) and was referred in November. When she asked again, the GP sid there was a 12 week wait.... That was about the same as my THR. 

Michael

• Posted

Go to your GP, limp and waddle badly as you walk in. Say you think you need more physio and hydrotherapy. Worked a treat.
  • Posted

Hi Lallydye,

Another fellow hippie (I'm sorry, I don't remember who) recently mentioned a free app for your phone/tablet called Pocket Physio. I downloaded it yesterday and it looks fine for me. It gives a range of exercises to do depending on what stage post op you are. As Michael mentioned, there is a lot of info out there especially NHS guidance.

I also left hospital with an A4 sheet of exercises and no follow up appt. My 6 week appt is next week so I'll post again with updates.

• Posted

Oops, no follow up physio appt, I meant to say.
  • Posted

Hi I am just over 3 weeks post op. I went to the physio just over a week after the op. I managed the exercises ok. Because my foot and leg are swollen I was given a follow up appointment for this Friday. When I go I'm going to ask advice on physiotherapy and they have a hydro pool at the rehab centre which I have thought about asking. I don't feel there has been much support for a major op.my check with the surgeon is 8 weeks. I have had a couple of setbacks one after 2 weeks and one after 3 weeks. I feel if I had more follow up support they may not have happened. I went to my doctors and nurse but they only told me I hadn't given it long enough it takes time to heal. I'm thinking about booking some private physio after I've seen what they can offer.i live in South Yorkshire and hope you get something sorted out.
    • Posted

Thanks Brenda yes its frustrating we have to do all this ourselves.  Good luck for a speedy recovery x
  • Posted

I'm two weeks post op today, and last Monday I saw my physio, he basically assessed me to see what I was capable of doing re walking, and also asked me loads of questions about my personnel care. He advised me to continue with the basic exercises given in hospital, but also gave me some tips on walking with my crutches.  I am seeing him again on Wednesday and he advised ,e that he will be looking at reducing me down to one crutch. I found the information given was excellent .  I'd probably speak to your Gp. 
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara I will be interested to see how you get on.  I am sneaking in some of my own excercises now like standing on tiptoes whilst holding onto a rail and shallow squats, and I can do the clamshell now much to my delight. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.