Advice on reaction to recent prescription of prednisone 40 mg , but discontinued after two days.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had post nasal congestion that led to a severe sore throat ultil finally losing my voice one week ago, tomorrow. I went to a Vanderbilt walk in clinic at which time I received a steroid injection and then started prednisone 20 mgs twice a day=40mg a day, taken last Saturday and Sunday ONLY (prescribed for 7 days). The side effects are horrible and I called to see if I could come off the drug on Monday. They told me yes AND without any tapering, just cold turkey. That was Monday and today is Thursday and I feel worse than I did then. I called Vanderbilt walk-in clinic the doctor returned my call on Tuesday afternoon and told me it was the side effects of the medication and it should subside after 4 to 5 days... why does it seem like it's getting worse? Should I go to the hospital to ensure there's not something else wrong? I also have had numbness in my face, achy joints, eyes very VERY white...and extremly low energy....even feeling depressed and I'm a generally very happy person. So confused and my boyfriend who is out of town is insisting I take myself to the ER but I don't want to over react, if these symptoms are normal when intolerant to prednisone, even after the short number of days I was actually on it. My last dose was Sunday night...today is Thursday. Other considerations: I'm previously diagnosed as autoimmune, but have only had issue with my bilirubin counts being low the last few years. I take b12 shots 2x weekly and was once very anemic (but not since a partial hysterectomy in 2010). Advice please!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I also experienced puffiness around my eye lid tissues, pretty obvious swswing by last Sunday. I've also felt very light headed at times, like I was possibly going to faint.
  • Posted

Sorry, typo...should have said "swelling", not "swswing"...no clue. smile
  • Posted

You weren't on predizone very long ,I think you should get your b12 checked 

• Posted

Are you referring to my levels of b12 in my system or suggesting the b12 injections I take could be a bad batch of b12? Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.