Advice on vertigo attack, is it cervical?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi friends.

More than 6 months ago I was getting some osteopath help for neck problems I have muscular pain with. He gave my neck a good crack which after a couple of days of pain worsening I turned over in bed early one morning and had a massive vertigo episode. Full on room spinning if I turned my head either direction. This left me exhausted and wobbley for around 3 weeks then it suddenly disappeared. I started getting physio in my a few weeks after ( no crunching) just massage, helped hugely. Past few weeks and no physio for a while my neck has been deteriorating, and I noticed I was feeling a little wobbley and really tired. I lay down in avo to have a snooze and turned my head rather quickly which triggered a vertigo attack, first on right side, then left, then both. This was different than the circular spinning of last time, it wasn't as violent, but I felt more nauseous than before . When I tried to focus on something my eyes were being pulled to the side in a horizontal way that I couldn't control. Today I managed to make myself turnover on to each side and waited until the vertigo stopped. It hasn't come back, although I'm feeling whacked out, and have neck pain with headache. I also suffer TMJ

After the first episode I saw an ent who did the hall pike manouver which was negative.

I'm worried not knowing 100% what's causing this. Sorry for the long essay, just hoping someone has had similar 😳

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think your Ostepath was responsible,for this and you need to,contact him or her about it.  But not let them near you again!!  Meanwhile get your gp,to arrange n x-ray for you, as your neck could be screwed up!  Doubt it's vestibular problem so Ent isnt,going to be any help. Its pretty obvious   is being caused by your neck.
    • Posted

Thanks Gillian , after it happened the first time I contacted him and he did say he may have over done it, he suggested to go back and he could do cranial work, but tbh I've been too nervous ! I've had an X-ray and all looks ok , but I suffer muscular pain which goes up the back of my head.

Thanks for your thoughts, it's such a sucky thing 😳

• Posted

If you are getting muscle pain due to this (In neck, shoulder area), have a look at Trigger Therapy,  I get  a lot,of that stuff going on and since learning a bit about it can relieve the muscle spasms and pain,and for most part can lessen the discomfort , myself. 
    • Posted

Wow fantastic I will do. It's where I carry my stress and tension, also desk jobs don't help. Dr says I should slouch more as I attempt to always sit straight (as we were taught ) though it means I get stiff
    • Posted

Yes I had terrible neck and shoulder stuff going on when i sat on a regular chair on my laptop.  I now  have  an i,pad that i can have on my,lap, or propped up anywhere really and imsuffer a lot lot,less now. Maybe try usng a tablet as well as having a desktop.
  • Posted

Hello Pebblesnz,

I agree with gillian and you that this sounds like a neck problem, and not a vestibular one.  Having my neck "cracked" by a chiropractor in the past has given me problems as well.  Gentle pulling-type massage can help relax those muscles that are tight in the back of your head and neck, and also with TMJ.  Really believe alot of people on this site are dealing with mechanical problems, not vestibular or metabolic ones.  Look for the book "the Neck Connection."  It explains how your neck can cause alot of issues with balance, hearing etc.  I have found that taking an Advil helps sometimes, and occasionally a half of a Valium.

If you wake up and find yourself experiencing Vertigo, try sort of hyper-extending your neck in different directions.  That has stopped it for me in the past.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks so much Nanci I have woken to some more vertigo with a very sore neck , I'll get brave soon and extend my neck 👍
  • Posted

You are welcome.  I hope that trying that will afford you some relief when that horrible situation occurs.  At least trying to relax your neck/shoulders is something that you can do yourself.  Honestly, alot of what you mentioned sounds all too familiar.  I hope that you will be able to continue with some gentle massage, because it sounds like that gave you the most positive results. Stay calm, concentrate on relaxing your neck, use Advil as an anti-inflammatory, and maybe try icing and/or using heat on your neck when it gets really tight and uncomfortable.  Good luck...........
    • Posted

It's weird as today is different , not so much the vertigo now, but sooo wobbley I can't get out of bed, and really bad nausea with head and neck pain. Also my scalp up the back of my head hurts

I wasn't feeling well on the day it started, maybe it was brewing ?

• Posted

Sorry you're having a rough day.  Sounds like those muscles  (SCM) that run along the back of your head and down to your shoulders are tight and sore.  Try using some heat and Advil.  As for feeling wobbly?  Not sure - could just be the aftermath of having Vertigo previously, and all the tightness in your neck  Stay calm and try to relax your shoulders.  Hope you improve as the day goes on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.