Advice - packing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, just looking for some advice. I'm a 27 yr old female, I first started with pilonidal sinus issues around 2 years ago, but only started to seek help property this year. I had a sinus excision end of July this year, 5 weeks later I noticed the pain returning but higher up.

As I was due back at the consultant the following week I left it hoping he could help relieve the pressure once I was there. Unfortunately it burst two days before, I had to see the gp the following day where I was told it was very small hole antibiotics should be enough. When I saw my consultant the following day he told me he wasn't sure if it was the same as it has a mass below it, and now wants me to go for MRI once it is healed.

That's was 3 weeks ago and it just again Monday, in a different place and predominantly blood.vso back to the GP and now having it packed, which I can honestly say is way more painful than the op.

So my predicament now is I go on holiday to the Dominican in 5 weeks, what is the likely hood of this being healed before a leave given the depth of the cavity is 1.5cm? Also is there anything I can do to help speed up recovery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm a 29 year old female and have suffered with pilonidal sinus's for 10 years! I was In the same boat as you in terms of it being packed and going on holiday. I spoke to the nurse who was doing my packing and dressing and she said I was fine to go on holiday with it as long as someone with me could help me the packing and dressing, so my friend who I was going on holiday with came with me to see how the nurse does it and she showed them step by step how to do it. My wound was the same depth as yours and by the time I went 4 weeks after it was half the size and needed a tiny bit of packing. The nurse was happy for me to swim in both the pool and sea she actually said the sea water would do it some good and to take the packing out to swim and then re pack once done and the packing could be left out for serval hours before needing re packing. I found the flight slightly uncomfortable as sitting for a long time but managed it. Remember to declare any pain meds your taking and to bring them on as hand language for the flight to help with the pain!! Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, thank you that really does help. I have now been told that the wound it's self is too small to get the packing into the cavity, so back to the consultant to come up with a plan. Have to you found anything that helps prevent them? This is only my second one, but desperate to try to find a way to help stop them coming back. 😊

• Posted

They are not nice things, especially for ladies!! Keeping the area clean and dry all day long helps and also laser hair surgery it's painful but nothing like the pain of these! I have had "the core " of mine removed so they removed all the bad flesh if you like and stitched it over. That took ages to heal but since then I've had no more new ones grow and 80% chance that they won't return!

• Posted

Turmeric powder mixed with milk make it twice,it can suit you,avoid sugary foods and drinks,also any sort of intoxication,and make more time for you to let it open,also u were knowing for sure that hairs are d biggest evil for our issue!!it worked out for me my friend !!
  • Posted

just wondering if use have any advice im just fresh ot the operating table yesterday. (thurs) after getting my nasty abcess incision and drained. first packing today on what is said to be a pretty deep wound im due to fly this day week on holiday to usa how likley is it il get going ? im afraid i already know the answer. also how long is recommended to have of work after surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.