Advice please!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello. ive started taking citalopram 20mg for 6 days now and feel worse, is this normal cos ive already weaned off sertraline because it wasnt working im just scared these wont work too. any feedback would be appreciated thanks

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl I was on citalapram for 5 yrs til 5 weeks ago and never had a prob my doc decided to change me to sertraline which I endured horrific side effects for 13 days so doc put me back on citalapram been on it 11 days few more side effects this time but I feel a lot better than on sertraline I was suicidal so I'd give it a few more days and then go back to docs with sertraline they told me I might feel worse for up to 2 weeks but I was getting worse and worse with no improvement
  • Posted

I been on cit for 6 weeks now and only just feeling the benefit so best advice is stick with you and believe me they will work. Just at the start you get all sorts of side affects which ain't nice but just stick with them and things will improve
  • Posted

Absolutely. Unfortunately that's the way it happens for some people. 

Stick with it and don't hesitate to go back to your doctor. They might be able to give you something quicker acting like diazepam to tide you over until the meds take effect. 

I found the worst of the side effects cleared after a couple of weeks and it took another week or so before I started feeling much better. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I shall just add to what has already been said by saying just stick with it! In the end it is worth it and you will be and feel better.

Just remember that each time you increase (if you need to) there may be slight side effects, but as you progress you learn to live with and then ignore these to the point that you won't even notice them!I am on 40mg after 10 months and I am considering trying to reduce, but I do know that I may stay on Cita as oppossed to come off completely. However, I want to try and see if I need this "sticking plaster for the brain" long term.

In the meantime keep readin, keep posting and ask anything you like, no matter how insignificant it may seem at the time. You have a support Family here and they are a great bunch!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks David. I'm now on day 14 and feel worse. Feel more depressed and sleep is not good. Doctors won't keep giving me diazepam. I'm down to my last 6 tablets and there only 2 mg. I tried zopiclone for sleep but only managed 4 hours on it and felt rough the next day so didn't take any more. How many weeks shall I give it before I try something else? Cheryl.
  • Posted

Cheryl, i was a good 7 weeks before majority of the side effects I had left. I am now 8 weeks. I take Cit for General Anxiety Disorder and it has been a great help for me, along with some councelling. Give it a while to see if it works for you before you give up. Xx
    • Posted

Hello Robin. It's the lack of sleep that's doing my head in. I don't know how much more I can take and also I feel more depressed even though I've been on it 2 weeks now x
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl

It is perfectly normal and most of the side effects will go within two weeks. I know that seems like ages away but you will find it gets easier. What are the main side effects your experiencing?

I had ever one going so may be able to help ease your concerns x

• Posted

Hi sorry to jump in on your thread I am in day 6 at 10 mg and I woke up at 5 this morning heaving and gagging and shaking as my anxiety was SO bad I had to take half a diazepam 2 mg can it make my anxiety this bad in the morning my body jolts awake and then my stomach gets that scared dreading feeling hate it
    • Posted

hi lorraine, my side effects are mainly anxiety and cant relax just dont feel like im improving much x
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine it's been 2 weeks now and I'm not feeling any better in fact worse. It's my anxiety and depression and sleep. Does the insomnia get better? X
  • Posted

Hi I am on day 6 of 10 mg citalopram and woke up at 5 this morning shaking and heaving literally I was gagging as my anxiety was through the roof it was awful my anxiety makes me feel like I need to burp constantly so I am constantly tensing my stomach and feel anxious like I can't breath it's awful it's like my brain won't switch off. I am really wanting these tablets to help my anxiety. Hoping and praying
    • Posted

Hi nina

I stated on 10mg and know exactly what your going through. It true what others have advised my side effects passed around the two week mark. Retching. Burping dizziness heightened anxiety. Shakey hands and with me no appetite. I ķnow it's hard and two weeks may sound like a long wait but you will find the side effects dropping off as you go along this next week or so.

Try and get as much rest as you can and drink plenty of fluids. Someone on this site mentioned omega 3 on researching various sites it would appear these in conjunction with your antidepressant could really be beneficial.

Warmest wishes and blessings

Lorraine x

• Posted

Thanks for the reassuring reply I want so desperately to be better for my 2 beautiful children feel like these past few weeks have been awful but my partner and family are great praying I will be better for Christmas thanks again
    • Posted

Hi nina

Gosh it must be very hard having this illness with a young family. It's hard enough just looking after yourself when suffering with this illness along with meds that knock you sideways with side effects! I'm always amazed to hear people say they didn't get any side effects!! Good news they won't last long and you will be on the mend ready to enjoy your beautiful children and family.

Are you managing to sleep at night or are you getting broken sleep and hot sweats. If you are that will pass soon too.

God bless

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi the sleeping is not to bad it's just the sudden startling jolt early morning wake up I get sweating heart pounding and the awful dread in my stomach I am up before the family as I pretty shaken up but I do have to take half of a 2 mg diazepam to calm me other wise I would be a mess and I don't want my kids seeing me in a state, it really is hard trying to stay calm when your brain and heart feel so chaotic. My anxiety came from no where I was eating and then boom I felt like I had air stuck in my chest. That was 7 weeks ago doc gave me sertraline at first took it for 10 days and wow it was horrendous. So put me on cit I feel a lot better that I am not the only person who has this problem . If you not got your mental state then it feels like your going mad. Once I am better I promise myself I will look at life differently and never take anything for granted
    • Posted

Same sertraline crippled me citalapram a lot better in not right yet only 12 days back in after doc changed me to sertraline but deffo improving I only take diazepam in morn now instead of 3 times a day
    • Posted

Bless you nina

I can identify with you 100% I had never been ill and the whole thing definitely catches you by surprise. It's true in our hearts we know that once we are better we will certainly have a different outlook on life. Diazepam is really helpful over this period so glad the doctor has given you some. Don't forget to get your hubby to get you some strong omega 3 research has shown this can accelerate recovery as it's good for the brain and other organs and can be taken in conjunction with antidepressants.

My thoughts are with you and sending

Lots of blessings your way xxxxx

• Posted

Hi nina . I'm a bit like that I'm on day 7 and when I wake in the morning I get anxiety. And also I'm the same where everything just whizzing round in my head and won't switch off. I take a diazepam nearly every day but only got about 10 left and don't think the doctor will give me any more. Take care and let me know how you get on x
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl just to keep you up to date on my 7 th day on citalopram well yesterday had an ok ish day. So this morning took my tablet at 7.30 along with half a 2 mg diazepam. So off to work I went ( yes work Sunday crap) anyway driving to work then boom anxiety and panic struck and racing thoughts. I nearly jumped out my car there and then at the lights it was awful but it was my brain that was feeling so funky and weird just racing I literally had to breath so hard to try and stop it. Anyway I am so so so scared for taking it tomorrow. But I am still here so just hope it won't be has bad. Lucky me I work for a very good medical company so they have arrange to see a councillor this Thursday got 6 sessions for free. Until my nhs one comes through ( I am in the UK are you?) Anyway keep in touch
    • Posted

Hi nina yes I'm in the UK. Well done you for going to work. I'm off sick at the moment over two months now. Keep me posted x
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine it's nina again sorry to be a pain but could I ask you a quick question. I have finished my 10mg citalopram today and my doctor has given me 20 mg to take starting tomorrow (Monday) I am actually slightly apprehensive about taking them. Anyway just wondering dud they make you feel any different. The 10mg has helped my anxiety I would say 80% just still there a little bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.