Advice please after physio post hip op 5 months

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello Hippies. I have been off this site for a while but now would like to know if others have been told..as I have today by physio at Salisbury Dist Hospital... that I will NEVER be able to do the things I did before the hip replacement due to the threat of dislocation.  I was under the impression that once at 6 months or at worst 12 month stage was over I would beable to garden/ zumba and swim as before....I was disheatened to say the least!

​Will catch up with old hippes friends on this site like Rocketman and Renee and Rose.

Alice

5 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think it's rubbish. Maybe certain things have to be cautious but look at Dancers etc that have had them.... Nothing holds them back!!
    • Posted

I agree Gaby..Look at Craig Revel Horwood?... But  It has been 2 seperate physio's last week and this who have said this.. I did question it today..and am not being a drama Qween..its what i was told by the supposed experts this morning in the hydrtherapy pool.  I had been on this site for months both prior to my op and until recently and am really quite sensible..will be interested in other comments.. I want to do Zumba and gardening and had accepted the restrictions as a temporary thing just not permanant as per my hospital appoint this morning!!

Cheers  Alice

• Posted

You 100% will be able to do Zumba & gardening! My Physio got me to pull my knee of hip leg up to my chin as far as I could! I said am I allowed? He said after 3 months yes! My surgeon said only two things twisting and pivoting and I think crossing legs are to be avoided that's all!

If you can get in and out of a bath you can do anything! Lol

• Posted

Hi Alice!

How are you??

I am not sure if your physio is correct, as everyone I know that has had a hip replacement is gardening, dancing and swimming. I have never heard of not being able to do normal every day exercise....did she give you a reason?

My surgeon said I could ride horses at 12 months, although to avoid big jumps to be on the safe side, and I could even go on black runs skiing!!! So I don't think zumba or gardening would be a problem. The biggest risk of dislocation is sitting down (seriously it is!) and falling down the stairs according to the stats, and I can't see you avoiding either of those things for the rest of your life! smile

I was thinking to PM you this week and see how you are, so glad you are well. How is your recovery? x

• Posted

Hi Rose..How . are you doing now?  The swimming was explained because I can only do breast stroke and the concern was the leg movement..I can understand that..but the gardening and also mentioned I should still be sleeping with a pillow between my knees.  As I went to sleeping on either side at 7 weeks I question that too!!.   Otherwise I am fine..still wobble a bit when first getting out of a chair but within 30 seconds or so I am walking OK

​Lovely to talk to you again.

Alice

• Posted

Rubbish. Unless u have problems that we r not aware of u should be working ok after 6 months and in good nick after 12. A friend of mine had a double hip replacement at the beginning of 2015 and was playing competitive badminton by November. Tell your physio to put that in his pipe and smoke it!!!! No negatives here
    • Posted

Hi Colin..I am not negative at all just thrown a bit this morning ..as we have to trust our medics advice..but I will re question next week as yet another physio is 'deaing with me' for my next physio!

​I am usually fine and as postive as can be..but am grateful the the posts..i had forgotten just how supportive thsi forum is.

Alice

• Posted

Hi Alice,

I really like that word "rubbish".  It says it all!  There was a post recently on here describing how a lady had dislocated both hips even though she was 10 years post op.  That was shocking to all and heartbreaking.  She bent straight down with boots on.  Not sure if the boots had heels or not, but she said she was bending down further than normal and it sounded like she was standing with both knees and feet together.

So, it can happen.  I was told by my surgeon to not twist while breaking the 90 degree position, and that it is better to reach down inbetween my legs as opposed to having my knees together and reaching straight over them.  When I have to bend over at my job, I actually do a squat with my thighs, with my knees spread out like a frog!  Ha!  So, for me, I will continue to be mindful of what I am doing and how I am doing it, however, feel certain that I can do most everything I could before the hip surgeries.  I am nearly one year post op and am doing great!  

After all, re-establishing our normal movements is the whole point of this surgery isn't it?

Do not listen to that physio person!

Take care!

Dawn, USA

• Posted

Oh dear Dawn please be careful how u describe things one could get a little "troubled" with the bending over and frog analogieswink
    • Posted

Thank you Dawn...the word rubbish rather threw me in the earlier post but it IS crazy as we HAVE to trust the supposed experts don 't we?  I mean physios have years of traininng..But yes I agree the point of having the op n the first place was to regain all we had lost.  i will perservere as feel I am doing OK but have not yet 'sat on the floor' and tried to get up.  I have a slight limp..and am almost 6 months post op.  i want to returen to Zumna too..hey ho..

Alice

• Posted

Sounds a bit like yoga to me!  Isn't there a frog pose????

Alice

• Posted

You mean you are "troubled"?  I am speaking straight from what my surgeon told me to do.
  • Posted

Hi Alice

i recommend you go back to your surgeon tell him your worries and get him to explain wether you are one of the very few that dislocation could happen too. Sit with your surgeon and ask to see your X Ray's and get him to  show you on your X Ray's. This is what I did with my surgeon. They do seem to be more helpful if you actually show an interest in what they have done to you. I am sure he won't mind. It is better that than worry the rest of your life. 

I have to admit that some physio's do come over as if they have no idea what you have had done and try to get you to do some things way too early that scares you and puts you off. Lady gaga had a hip op at 24 look at what she does. ( not a fan just googled famous hippies and her name came up as well as others ) 

• Posted

Hello Hailea.  I might well go back but have to pay as initially went privately.  I felt I ought to be seen again at 6 months and mentioned it at my 7 week check but was told it wasn't necessay. 

​I agree I look at celebrity hippies and all seems well.   Didn't know that about lady Gaga!

Alice

• Posted

Alice if you are that worried I know it will cost you but better safe than sorry. Like I said if you do decide to put your mind at rest. Ask him to explain to you.  But the only REAL chance of dislocation is if you cross your legs. So best answer to that is don't do it and make your butt and thigh muscles as strong as you can to reduce any chance of doing so. 👍
    • Posted

I have a best friend whose shoulder surgery was ruined by a physical therapist who did not know what they were doing.  Horrible for her!  We can refuse to do anything that hurts us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.