Advice please? Gallstones - can't eat!

Posted , 7 users are following.

So for 5 weeks now I've not been very well. My doctors told me they think I have gallstone but that they think it is in a duct and that it's not a complete blockage as no jaundice. However, I do also have internal scar tissue from a badly bodged appendicitis three years ago but the pain for that is in my hip, the other pain is under my rib. It started right side but to be honest most of my abdomen hurts now.

All my bloods keep coming back normal. But I am peeing really dark urine and I can't keep any food down. This is the case now for about 10 days. I've managed the odd little sweet / minty thing and am drinking ok but I've lost a stone in weight in the five weeks.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on what to do - I feel like I'm at the end of my rope now. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and am due to have an ultrasound on the 24th but it all seems so far away...

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!! Anybody have something similar? How did you manage to eat?

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

if it's gallstones or gallbladder malfunction then low fat diet no dairy will help you more for the time being.

If nothing else ask them to do a HYDA scan this is a scan that tests the functionality of the gallbladder also, that's if stones don't show up.

Small amounts of food little and often are also better and water.

Hang in there you will get fixed.

• Posted

Hi

i had pain for a few months under my ribcage on right side, around my side and up the middle of my back to shoulder blades. I had tests that came back normal which included Ultrasound, MRI scan, CT scan and endoscopy. I struggled to keep much food down and survived on cracker, boiled rice etc.

Three weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed. I,saw the consultant on Friday and he mentioned that my gallbladder was attached to part of my bowel and it was acutely inflamed. The actual gallbladder was very badly diseased and I could have been very ill if it had not been removed.

Apart from a few twinges I feel really well and have returned to work.

Hopefully you can get some answers soon x

• Posted

If you cannot keep food down day after day, I would return to the doctor again and see if they can fit you in sooner for the scan.

?It may be gallbladder but also pancreas can become affected. If your blood tests are good, they are obviously thinking there is no current infection but this is not helping your situation.

?Keep a check on yout temperature and look out for any jaundice/ yellowing of skin or eyes, any fevers, or general worsening, if they occur, get off to the A & E.

?I also had good blood tests when I felt really unwell, in pain and feverish. But going to the A & E and being checked put my mind at rest and they can give you meds for the nausea and pain.

?Try some nutritional drinks, like complan or ensure so some nutrients can be taken, as you need some strength to recover esp if you need any surgery should it be gallstones, this was how I managed. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, they thought I had gallstones too but after all the tests (ultrasound, gastroscopy, ct scan, mrcp) and bloods came back normal it was only when I had a HIDA scan that came back abnormal. I hope they find something early on as it seems to take ages waiting for the next test. I think I had to wait 2 weeks for the earliest ultrasound which is awful when your suffering alot.

The pain is generally on the right side underneath the ribs which can go through to the back and then upto the shoulder blades but there are variations on this as everyone is different. Mine is just really tender all the time with constant pain.

With regards to food as someone has previously said stick to low fat or non fat and don't eat large meals but smaller amounts. Its a case of trying food and seeing what your body accepts. I was sick alot initially but not so much now as I've altered my diet slightly but I have lost alot of weight initially but its alot less now.My urine was really dark initially, its still darker than normal but not as bad.

If you feel as though you can't cope then go back to your doctor, if they haven't already done you may need some painkillers.

Keep us updated with how you're getting on, as we are or have been going through the same thing and its a comfort to talk to others about it on this site. I find its a great support and that I'm not suffering in silence so what ever is happening to you then let us know and someone will respond to you.

Take care.

• Posted

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's replied - you have helped me more than I can say. When you feel like your going mad with all these symptoms, to have some friendly people is amazing! Thank you!

I saw the doctor on Monday who offered little help or advice. I haven't been able to keep any food down now for 17 days. No matter what I try it just comes back and if I drink to much of anything that's not water that comes back too - I thought I would try some apple juice!

I've made another appointment to see a different doctor tomorrow as I'm feeling sick more of the time and starting to feel dizzy and the pain is getting more persistent. I can't see how I'm still going!

I have an ultrasound on Friday, so really keeping my fingers crossed it shows something as I can't keep on like this. I have started notice some weird rumbling sounds/sensations from the gallbladder area, which is normally accompanied by a sense of pressure - kinda like just before your stomach rumbles - anyone ever experienced that?

Anyway, that my little update for now. Thanks again for your support and wishing you all good health! 🙂

• Posted

Hi - your doctor does not sound much help - did they not give you any anti sickness meds or pain relief?

?As you are still struggling and possibly becoming dehydrated and under nourished, if the doc tomorrow does not get onto it, then I'd go to the emergency room or A & E and insist on more testing, before you get really weak, you need to get to the bottom of what is going on as soon as possible.

?Take care and good luck with getting treated.

• Posted

The doctors did give me pain relief and sickness tablets but the pain relief isn't working so well anymore and the sickness tablets aren't doing much, if anything they are prolonging the sickness/vomiting so I stopped taking them as I would just rather be sick then feel like I'm going to be sick for hours!

I think you may be right, I'll see what the doctor says tomorrow and if no joy it looks like I'll have to go to A&E.

Thanks for support!!

• Posted

Hi if I were you I would go straight to A&E the GP won't be able to give you anything strong enough to clear the pain & they need to realise how bad it is for you.

Don't suffer on your own in pain get then to help you xx

• Posted

All that matters is the effect it has on you. Make sure you emphasize how much it hurts, that you can't eat, and that you are losing weight. Not eating and rapidly losing weight is an emergency. Visiting the doctor is not a lot of use. If you are having a pain attack, get into hospital a&e and get them onto it. In my completely unprofessional opinion... from personal experience, you need to get an op asap.

• Posted

Hello, it does sound like gallbladder symptoms. However, keep pestering your doctor to see if he can move things on a bit. you must also eat small but often and keep fats low. amay husband loved custard and things that were east to digest. As for your dark coloured urine, drink plenty of fluids, maybe it's a bit on the concentrated side. But DO mention this to your doctor,and try to keep your chin upbiggrinGood Luck.

• Posted

I've just replied to another thread with the same thing.. Your gut has stopped working and you need to get into A&E and into surgery. Not being able to eat is the end game for this problem and it has to be fixed asap. The ultrasound is too far away and so is the surgery if it's some time way after that.

I had no jaundice until the day of surgery and stones were only thought to be present after the scan. But I had been through a year of severe pain and an entirely incorrect IBS diagnosis and the final straw was no longer being able to eat.

Tell the doctor you haven't eaten for however long, you can't keep food down and have lost a stone and you need to get fixed. If that doesn't get you referred to hospital then go there yourself. They will respond to what you tell them is happening.

I haven't read the other posts because I'm typing this in a rush on my tablet, but don't waste your time on trying to find something you can eat or trying to fix your gut.. the fact is that you can't process anything, no matter what it is. I wrote my story in this forum about 3 weeks ago for reference and I wish I'd known what was happening long before it got that far. Since the op eerything has been 110%. Never felt better in my life... all caused by a tiny stone.

• Posted

Hi robax - thanks for your message. I saw a doctor monday last week who tried me on another sickness tablet and told me if that didn't help I was to come back within 2 days. It didn't work, so I went back, had to see the duty doctor who was horrible and offered no help! He told me he didn't know what to do with me! 

I had my ultrasound on friday, which showed no gallstones or inflammation but she noted that there were crystals, and that the bile was very viscose - I don't really know what those mean?

Weirdly, I managed to start eating again yesterday - but now I am wracked by pain. It work me up at 2am and was the worst pain I have ever had, lasted for about 3 to 4 hours and I couldn't get comfortable at all in that time (buscopan, zapain and oemprozaole did nothing to help - I realise I probably should have gone to hospital, but I am on my own during the week and going to A&E terrifies me. (I've had a couple of bad experiences that have put me off for life). I've managed to eat a small dinner this evening (chicken and potatoes) and the pain is back, not as intense, more than a dull ache, but its right across the bottom of my rib cage and into my chest. 

I have no other symptoms, no jaundice and I don't really want to go to A&E. I guess if it persists I'll ring 111 and get some advice. Going to try some painkillers and a warm bath first. 

When this all first started, I got sent to A&E because I couldn't keep anything down including water. The idiot doc there told me I had a virus, likely gastroenteritius. This has gone on so long, that I don't have the energy to argue with them anymore. All my tests keep coming back clear and none of the dr's really seem to understand or care. 

Sorry for the rant, feeling rather low tonight - just wish it would all stop. Any advice other would be great!? Thanks in advance! And thank you to everyone who's commented and offered support - think I would have gone nuts without you guys - somedays I feel like its all in my head! sad

• Posted

Hi, has your gp not referred you to a consultant. They should really be doing that next as your gp can't go any further. I then had a gastroscopy encase I had ulcers before an CT scan.

I would suggest you push for a referral as pain isn't normal. If they can't find gallstones with any other tests then you'll need a HIDA scan as your gallbladder may not be functioning correctly.

I understand that it gets you down. I know the feeling well. Make sure you're low fat or fat free if you're not already and reduce the amount of sugar and spicy food as that really does make the pain worse.

You've been poorly for too long now, not to refer you to a consultant gastroenterologist so please go back to your gp and push for this.

I don't understand why some people do the job they do if they're on willing to listen and support as that is the industry that they joined.

Take care and keep us informed. 

• Posted

I didn't have gallstone symptoms until I was finally checked into A&E on New Years Eve. The entire year prior was wasted trying to fix my diet to stop the pain attacks. I should have gone to A&E instead of listening to my GP.

My sister was the first person to suggest gallstones, but only because she had a friend who had the one symptom that matched mine... that the pain attacks normally happened at night and lasted for a certain amount of time.. 12 hours in my case... until the last one which never really stopped. I checked the other symptoms online and none matched. There was no jaundice until the last couple of days before surgery. Gallstones were not visible but were suspected.. it was two small ones in the end. The attacks were much longer than suggested. The blood test at A&E was the only thing that pointed to gallballder issues, but that only works when you're having the issue. It's not going to show when you're fine. You have to be suffering to get the help... that's why A&E is really the only solution, unless you have some sort of elective surgery insurance plan that would do it for you.

The symptoms you're describing here are absolutely spot on for this problem. No special diet or medicine fixes it. This is not a GP situation. Do whatever you can to get into hospital and have the operation. If you can't keep food down.. that's the ticket. Seriously, If I were going through this again, I'd sell my car and pay to have it done. I shouldn't have had to go through all the suffering and neither should anybody. Gallstones are possibly the worst fully curable condition you can have.

One day you'll be back here telling us how amazing you feel.. make that happen as soon as possible... scream if you have to.

• Posted

Hi

You really are going to need to go and be seen in A&E 111 will only tell you to do that as no one including anyone on here can be 100% sure on what it is.

But in an attack your blood does react differently at times do A&E will check it and say your gallbladder is under question then they will listen. Bug your GP needs to get you referred for tests asap the HIDA will show if it's undef performing & as previously said the diet of low fat & free from only alleviates the issues short term it won't stop it, same as hot baths and heat pads.

I think your going to have to brace A&E x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.