Advice please - I'm scared I have bowel cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 31 year old female and driving myself mad with worry. I've always suffered with constipation over the years but that was more down to me not drinking enough fluids and eating bad food. Anyway I gave myself a kick up the bum - so to speak and things got better. 3 weeks ago I started bleeding bright red blood when I went to the toilet. I was also getting really smelly mucous coming out with blood if I had to strain to pass wind. I went to the doctors and he said piles. I went back 2 weeks later as it wasn't getting any better and they did a sigmoidoscopy. He said he could see hemmeroids but there was bleeding further up that he couldn't see where it was coming from because there was poo in the way. He said I would need to go to the hospital for a flexible sigmoidoscopy so they can see what's causing the bleeding. Do you think this can be more hemmeroids? I have a tender spot on my left said and I get what I can only describe as a bad stitch there from time to time. I'm not constipated, if anything my stools are softer then normal and come out in lots of pieces (sorry to be so graphic) I have a 4 year old little boy and I'm panicking

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You may have polyps' - sounds like a CT scan/ colonoscopy may be needed

If your consultant advises this -it will put your mind at rest.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Your symptoms could have a multitude of causes. It's very unlikely to be bowel cancer. Getting it at your age is very unlikely. But you are doing the right thing getting checked out. Try and stay calm. I'm sure you will feel better once you've had a proper medical examination. The unknown is always scary. We tend to imagine things, often the worse! Even if it was cancer (and I doubt it is) at your age it would be very early and easily treatable. Try not to worry. I think you'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen your symptoms sound identical to what I'm going through at present and I'm panicking too I've not got my appointment till a couple of weeks and I've had blood now for 3. Months and the smelly mucus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.