Advice please...Just started 10mg and feel terrible...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I started 10mg of amitryptiline three days ago for chronic pain. Today I felt drugged, drowsy, nauseous, blurry vision and just dazed. I also suffer anxiety and depression, I thought this drug might even help that a bit but my anxiety has gone through the roof today - on the verge of a panic attack, feeling like I'm losing my mind etc. Not sure if this is the drug itself or that I'm anxious over feeling so spaced out. Will these feelings wear off or should I stop taking it? Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

These are normal side effects and should improve as your body gets used to the drug. I had to take the same dose (which is quite small) for severe headaches caused by a neck injury. My doctor advised to take it two hours before bedtime to reduce the morning drowsiness. He said that if I found the side effects difficult then to cut a tablet in half and just take 5mg. I did try that at first as I was bothered by the drowsiness but 5mg was not enough to address the pain. I think it took about a week before the side effects began to diminish. If for any reason I could not take the tablet two hours before bedtime I definitely felt drowsier longer into the morning. I didn't suffer anxiety but that is a common side effect documented in the small print and might be a good idea to speak to your doctor if it doesn't wear off after a few days and it's concerning you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. I did cut the tablet in half last night and took 5mg. I don't feel as groggy this morning so I might stick with the 5mg for the rest of the week and see how I go. Very vivid dreams though.
    • Posted

Hopefully, that'll be enough to control the pain and that the anxiety you have been suffering has diminished too. Amitriptyline should help you sleep better and perhaps the dreams were as a result of being able to go into a deep sleep as a result of feeling more relaxed.
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie,

I echo cjb's reply. Same experience. Dr wanted me to gradually move up to 20 mg & I did and experienced muscle jerks so went back down to 10 mg. Initially tried Nortriptyline and for me, the side effects were worse and I had to ask for an alternate drug. I am now trying a nerve block in the head (local anesthetic injected into head) to relieve the pain and relax muscles.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Persevere, been on it for over 16 years, itts the only presciption

medication i take...your reactions are very normal, it took quite a while for it to settle in, then i had to have my dosage monitored

as too much i was like a Zombie all day, not enough i could'nt

sleep and hurt with the pain. Ive never had mine increased

in all these years either, its my wonder drug, lol. It must be

taken at night before bed., i take 25mg at 6pm every night..be

blessed, have a lovely day.😚

• Posted

Thanks Christine, it's good to hear you haven't had to increase your dose in all these years, unlike with other painkillers. I've heard people have had such good pain relief with amitryptiline, I'm really hoping it will work for me. I'm going to stick with it and try to ride out the side effects. Thanks for the encouragement.
    • Posted

😉😚awesome its certainly worth giving it a really good try..xx
  • Posted

Hello to you, I'm wondering what other tablets you may be on at the same time?  I can't recall having anything much with my change to these tablets and I think I began at the 50 and can use 2 to 3 at night for nerve damage pains.

I have been having more pains beginning in other parts of my body and not sure if this is because I'm getting older or the CMT, (Charcot Marie Tooth) disease/syndrome, is progressing. So I asked about upping the dose, and so I have another script for 25mg.

After reading (by chance) about the weight gains, I can now understand where and why I have the gains I got, 15-18kg.  I had just put this down to a combination of operations, in and out of wheelchairs, given up smoking, having meals on wheels as an entree, unable to work, so now I have that answer I have adjusted my tabs.  I am taking 1 X 50 & 1 X 25 at night for the last 6 nights, and this has effectively dropped me down by 25mg, and have not noticed any difference yet, too soon, I would think.

your dose is fairly small and maybe it's a time thing, or a change before its too late thing.???  Has the doctor got an alternative instead, I'd be there asking now, today, before you too gain weight.😬

• Posted

I have just remembered that I did play around with the time factor and I found, for me, 9.30 is great, and I also take my blood pressure tablet and 2 Panadol at that time. When I start yawning I go to bed, about 1 -2 hrs, and slip in to watch telly till sleep comes and I never have any ill effects in the morning. I sleep the best I've ever slept and never have any drowsy effects.
    • Posted

Thanks for advice Bunty. I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer and maybe take it earlier in the evening. I would welcome weight gain as I've lost some recently due to digestive problems and am finding it really hard to regain it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.