advice please, whats aching in thighs?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, new to this forum but not new to back problems. i slipped a disc badly when i had my son 17 years ago, as usual it wasn't taken serioulsy until a last mri and a rather happy surgeon next day told me he cut a huge chunk of disc out (you can imagine the pain of sciatica i had going by a huge chunk) everything was brilliant for about 11 years until the other year the disc above went, private hospital said the disc was black and wasn't going anywhere and as it didn't cause sciatica (it did a little) that it wasn't a slipped disc. so all was well till september this year.

my son had a party while i was away, whn i came home the house was a tip and the toilet seat was filthy, in a fit of rage i wrenched the seat off the toilet but the toilet came up with it and i felt mild pain in my back then. a few days later my back went, was ok after a fortnight. then a couple weeks after it went again ( i can't remember what i must have done), couple weeks later and now its gone again, i was decorating, moving bits of furniture. unfortunately i've always been the same, decorating lifting things on my own. doc said he can no longer refer me for mri, physio has to do it, they wrote and said theres a 8-9 week wait and if things get bad then go back to doc, so i've left a message for him for monday.

i know this is not normal for it to go 3 times since end of september and i swear i've done something to the one i had operated on. but the pain is different. i have aching around the top of my thighs and the creases of the top of my legs? that, i would love to know what it is! it really feels like my back is having a bad period! and pain on both sides of back, it shifts.

anyone have any ideas please i would love to know what the ache in my thighs are all about!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

I think once you've slipped one disk another one is more likely to slip so although slipping 3 is more than unfair it understandable as you probably have a weak spine. As for thigh pain. I have a slipped disk and I get awful pain in my hip flexor region. When the back can't do it's designed function, other muscles overwork

• Posted

Hi. I have had 4 months of problems following L5S1 microd. The first 6 weeks were good, then I started getting back pain after overdoing exercise. the pain started just off centre in my back at the level of the op, but over time it has moved and is now in my IS joint, upper buttock like you, and calf sometimes. Physio has helped but I am still very limited in what I can do and sitting and standing cause pain.

So the current theory from a new surgeon is that I actually have a fragment of disc or other material sitting next to the nerve. It was shifted into a bad position by the activity at 6 weeks while my muscles weren't strong enough to control movement of the joint. The fragment is free to move a bit and as it slightly shifts, I get pain or sensation in different places. That seems to have evolved over months, although when I had a steroid injection  into my spine a few weeks ago the pain did move noticeably along the nerve path, again maybe because the pressure of the steroid fluid actually moved the fragment a bit.

Anyway, the point is that pressure on the nerve (S1 in my case) can cause pain or feelings anywhere on the nerve length. Google 'spine nerve dermatome' and you will see where the S1 and other nerves cover. So maybe (and it's just a theory) you have something small pressing on the nerve in the back and it happens to be giving you sensation in that part of your thigh. Small fragments can cause big problems as they are like a thorn applying sharp pressure in one place, rather than broad pressure that would affect a large part of the nerve path but with less intensity.

If you can get an MRI and a good radiologist they might be able to see what is there. I was unlucky and my first surgeon missed my problem when she looked at the images so it has taken ages for anyone to notice the issue. I am getting another ESI but the next step would be a revision surgery to remove the debris.

HTH and maybe makes some sense of your symptoms. 

• Posted

hi, i don't have pain in my buttock its on the front of my thighs and its an ache not a pain. but the back pain does seems to shift from each side.

i'm hoping for an mri but my doc said he can no longer refer me and has to be done through physio? but i will speak to him on monday and tell him im having none of it, i need to know what i've done before i can deal with what ever the problem is.

• Posted

Has this pain run down behind the buttock?

Can you feel it in the back of your thigh?

Was you first surgery L5 ? Tha wold make L4 questionable.

I am thinking the sacral plexus, immeditely below L5.

Is emergency a possibility?

hugs

• Posted

hi, its not a pain its an ache on the front of my thighs. i think it probably was  L5S1 that was operated on all those years ago and the one above went couple years ago.

its all my own fault, i should never have ripped off the toilet seat with the toilet coming up with it., i just worry incase its the one i had operated on that i've done damage to.

• Posted

but you must admit, I mean pulling the toilet off of the floor

well, just stop and think about it...I just can not help but giggle...

Once this is over, and yur son marries and stands up to tell how his mum pulled the entire toilet up from the floor,,,,

Laughter is the best medicine

hugs

• Posted

lol and when he goes for his honeymoon, im having my mates over to wreck his microwave and make his toilet seat filthy! i can't believe the toilet came up with it! the loo seat was loose!

• Posted

If it's front thigh it's generally l4/l5. Yes u can be referred for MRI doc talking 💩Just trying to save money . Ask to be referred to private hospital via nhs it's well with in yr rights

• Posted

can't believe my doc said that. i've known and trusted him for 15 years, just goes o show you just can't trust anyone but i will put this to him though.  he has twice before sent me to private hospital before and can't believe the difference between private and nhs, although i can't slam the nhs bless them.

• Posted

but aso Jessica, you know what i mean when i said my back feels like its having a priod?
    • Posted

how would i be able to post a pic of my last mri for anyone to see?
    • Posted

Yes I get it in my legs to . Is muscles. Contracting A believe they do this to pump blood to an area that's not good to help it recover ?

• Posted

Photo shop the image and try to post or paste and copy it ???
    • Posted

hi, again, well, just spoke to doc who still says aboutphysio having to order a scan. i had the letter from them a couple weeks ago who said its an 8-9 waiting list to be seen and that if i have any mopre problems then to go back to doc. he said he was going to urgently call someone from somewhere and they will phone me, don't know when!!

knowing my body i reckon i have reherniated the disc that was operated on, might be a stupid question but can this be healed on its own by doin light Mckenzie exercise? (that book always comes out). or does it mean a fusion? or is my back just gunna go out every couple weeks?

doc said about the thigh aching is because of a certain disc that works different nerves and stuff. lets just hope i don't have to call out an ambulance which is what i think will happen!

• Posted

Might be the only way ull get u MRI quicker use google to see if disc s heal . In my experience not . But every ones different and it depends on what's wrong

• Posted

hello again. just a couple of questions if you don't mind. have you had a re herniated disc and if it is re herniated, would i know about it? like, if i went out to the shop would i collapse? would i be in agony?

doc called this morning and they chased up my app for the physio thing and they have put me 8th on the list so, that sounds good! many years ago i had a rubbish xmas with the sciatica and this one seems like it gunna be the same, i'll just have to keep calling out the ambulances-again.

• Posted

Yes . And u could collapse every one is different it affects each person differently. You will experience chronic pain sciatic pain in front of thigh s weakness in legs . All depends on which disc it is to how it affects you. I've just spent 5 days in hospital after a spinal injection for serve pain and a fever only developed after injection. Still no 100% back to see consultant next week. Instead of after xmas never again will I accept a spinal injection. But again every one is different.

• Posted

thats good to know! the more mobile i am im putting myself at risk for it to go flying out my back!  when the first one went all those years ago the pain started in my back then that went and i had the sciatica from hell, nearly passing out with the pain, the second disc couple years ago was just pain in the back, had me on my hands and knees and took 5 months to recover. i just don't know how a re herniated one works if thats what i have done but im pretty sure my gut feeling is telling me thats the one i've hurt. 

• Posted

Google Joseph K. Lee, MD, et al. Recurrent Lumbar Disk Herniation. In Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. June 2010. Vol. 18. No. 6. Pp. 327-337.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it may breach other website's copyright. Please do not paste whole articles in posts. You can add a link to it and this will be approved as long as it complies with rules for posting links. If it doesn't then links can be exchanged via the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hi, i take it you're in the USA? but i'll take a look anyway. got my app through this morning for muscularskeletal assessment for 13th jan, however im just a bit worried about these symptoms im getting with the numbness /ache in my thighs, they feel a bit weak. i rang them to see if there was anyone i could just talk to about it but theres no one, i have to wait so im waiting for doc to call me back. im worried about these sysmptoms as i've got it in my head that the more i move i might collapse and be paralysed!!!!! i haven't had these symptoms before and i need to go out!!!!

• Posted

No i am in the U.K. . Just gooled the info sent to u . The only way u can become parlized is if the discs compress on yr spinal cord . Just take it easy don't do anything extreme no heavy lifting bending ect . Rest when u can lying almost flat with yr head elivated with a pillow. The anxiety off it all won't help . Pain management are good to talk to . 'My issue is the nhs almost always send u to see the wrong person . A neurosurgeon deals with backs and nerves .as well as orthopaedic s and so do other consultant s but the 1st 2 are your best bet. You should be saying to yr doctor u want to see a neurosurgeon.

• Posted

blast! i had 2 and a half days pain free thinking i was gunna be ok and now its going AGAIN!!!! Jesus, give me a break. at docs again tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.