ADVICE PLZ

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just started gabapentin as I have fibromyalgia I took my first 300mg today the pain has eased lots but I do feel a little strange is this normal as in two days the dose goes to 600mg them two days later up to 900mg !! Any advice welcome plz

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I thought you were supposed to go up doses a bit slower but when i was given it i was given 900mg to take straight away. Well i had a bad reaction, felt so wierd like id done bad ecstasy, woke up in the middle of the night shivering but my skin was boiling hot so I think i had a bad reaction to it. Thats said it works for alot of people but if i was you i would go up as slow as possible as it think for any drugs that works the best to minimise side effects. If your getting pain relief at 600mg then stick to it until yor not anymore then go up to 900mg. 

• Posted

I'm on 300mg today and tomorrow then it goes up to 600mg for two days then up to 900mg to be honest I'm happy with 300mg I just don't like the weird feeling like I'm a robot lol sounds stupid
    • Posted

I did alot of reading regarding all kinds of medication and the long and short of what i read across the board of these types of medication is: If your pain is reduced at 300mg then stick because you will get to a point where its not cutting it and you have to increase, by which point you will have adjusted and side effects will be reduced and then you will get side effects going up a dose which should again fade after ur used to the higher dose.

Im not a dr and would urge you to call ur dr just to check that they are happy for you to do that but it seems alot of people do that, i dont see the point in taking more if your able to function at 300mg and the pain is reduced. From what ive read it will become less effective at a low dose and you will need to increase or you could be a lucky one that can stick to 300mg.

Im very bad with the way those kind of meds make me feel so i always stop taking them. Dont stop suddenly with any meds like that, you will need to slowly reduce dose to miniminse any side effects of stopping them.

If the gaba makes you energetic then take in morning, if they make you sleepy take at night or experiment whens best for you to take them.

I hope they work for you as they do for alot of people. In time side effects should minimise or go away all together.

• Posted

Thank you Hun think I'll stick to the 300mg or maybe just go to the 600mg but I will not be going to 900mg

Thank you for getting back to me x

• Posted

Hi I've recently started taking it for sciatica. My Dr prescribed 300mg a night for a week then increase to 600mg if I needed to a week later followed by a further increase a week after that up to 900mg. The initial dose gave me flu like symptoms which lasted a couple of days. I'm OK on it now but am going to increase it to 600mg. I was also dizzy but this has now gone. I take it at night.

I hope the side effects ease for you.

• Posted

I think I may take it at night as I took it in the morning which made me feel strange all day

Thank you for your help x

• Posted

My Dr advised me to take the 600mg 300mg at night and the 2nd dose in the AM for a week then if it was making me woozy etc to take them both at the same time at night. That's what I'm planning to do so hopefully I'll sleep better and through any unwanted side effects! Here's hoping!
    • Posted

That's great Hun think I will try this as it doesn't say when to take them ! How are they for you

• Posted

I'm not getting any side effects that I'm aware of at the moment. Maybe dry mouth, but am drinking lots of water to compensate. It's definitely eased the pain thankfully.
    • Posted

If your taking at night then you prob won't see any my mistake by taking in morning x def have a dry mouth x
  • Posted

Hi There,

When you said you feel  BETTER after taking the 300 mg what is the rational of titrate upFM..but when i look the side effect of their SMPC (the leaflet inside the package) and does not giving me that much relief I went back to normal paracetemol..but my friend advised me to use magnesium oil spray it each day after shower and juicing fruit and vegs as well as drinking 2 - 3 lts waters per day. walking 5 mnt increasing to 20 mnt each day..she also asked me to stop eating anything that content gluten and nitrate plus any drink content soda..my FM slowly at ease...try it for yourself... as all the things that she mentioned above were the caused our inflamation inside our body..but check with your gp though...

• Posted

That sounds really positivesmile I have been in a lot of pain with sciatica and paracetamol and ibuprofen weren't touching the pain. By "better" I mean out of pain. Not entirely but the gabapentin has definitely stopped the intensity and throbbing and helped me sleep but it does depends on what I do during the day.

Thankyou for your message.

• Posted

Hi Sadie, the first night I took gabapentin I felt woozy and the next day I felt like I had the flu. My body ached all over. That's when I joined the forum because I couldn't face continuing to feel like that if I took another tablet. However, the people on the forum were really helpful and I felt able to take the second dose- it sounds daft now having only taken one tablet. I took the second tablet and all the symptoms went including the pain apart from the dry mouth. I'm really glad I took it. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

I was going to do the same thing as I'm at work and I've been having shakes and feeling hot and cold xx
    • Posted

I really feel for you. I get hot flushes but I put that down to my age!! Maybe it's the meds! Are you able to phone the Dr? It's easier than going in sometimes.
    • Posted

I didn't have time to call dr I think I'm going to leave it till I see docs in a week xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.