Advice, possible vaginal hyst possibly abdo

Posted , 6 users are following.

seen my gynae consultant yesterday, he booked me in for my hysterectomy in the next 2-4 months, he said even though I've had 3 kids my womb is very high, he said he will try a vaginal hysterectomy but if that fails, which he suspects it will, it will be a vertical incision hysterectomy. Any advice on how I should prepare for this? Any helpful tips etc? I'm very nervous. X

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

He can do it vaginally. If the uterus is too large they cut it into 4pieces and remove it. Try to find a better surgeon, sounds like you have time.
  • Posted

Why a vertical incision ? Best way is a Horizontal one just above the mons pubis.. Where a ceasarian suture line is done.. Get an total abdominal Hysterectomy with removal of the cervix --Then ย won't need Continued Smear tests done for tests of cervical cancer.. Get the surgeon to leave your ovaries in providing they are clear. This will help slow down the Menopause.

Will be the best thing you ever did .. No more menstruation or Pain..You will be fine.. Just remember to take it easy post op and get help from Family... Keep the wound dry for as long as possible.. Keep dressings intact for up to two weeks providing there is no leakage. Otherwise change every three days.. Until wound dries up and sutures snipped.

I had a Total Ab Hysterectomy in 2004..Rest is important post op due to internal sutures.

Good Luck.

• Posted

I agree with Marketa, it can be done vaginally, my consultant said that as I had a very large baby (9lb 13oz) that my uterus would be low, it wasn't but he still did it vaginally, see if you can get a second opinion.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi. I had a high inverted womb and I had both my ovaries, womb and cervix removed by laparoscopy to assist view of removing via vagina. Had an excellent surgeon. 4-6 week recovery. I know you have to prepare for complications and chance of cut but not usually expected. Normally vertical is done when large fibroid etc that getting in way of c section type cut. Don't be nervous (said she who was petrified) the actual op is fine. One minute you're having an injection next your waking up. They top you up with pain killers as needed whilst you in there. Just remember that get up and walking as soon as you can keeps the blood flowing and speeds the healing process. Also have some peppermint tea as helps with wind which can be painful. My other advice is prepare to wait around. If your not early on list you will be hanging around and need something to occupy you. I had to wait all day as was last due to some emergencies.!! I wish you well ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • Posted

Thank you everyone, they are going to take my ovaries too as I have cancer of the womb, this is the reason for the hysterectomy. I'm 32 so quite young but I have no idea why the vertical incision, that's just what he said he would do if the vaginal hysterectomy fails.
    • Posted

That is young and I'm sorry that you have that diagnosis. It may be thay they want to be able to see everything which is why they talking about vertical cut. My mum had the same diagnosis this year and they took everything vaginally so fingers crossed they can do same for you. Mine was taken this year too for other reasons. I'm 40. It's quite tough going from full hormones to nothing too. Good luck
    • Posted

Oh no, I am so sorry. They might want to look at everything inside.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

• Posted

Not normal these days to do vertical suture line in surgery have you asked him why ? it won't look very pretty? Unless they want to check other organs for more mass in case of spread .. You need to be sure this is what you want? And find out your options here this is serious.32 is very young... I am not surprised you are nervous! Normally an abdominal is done if the other organs are causing issues like a cystocele when the bladder is weak and part of the womb has fallen onto the bladder an needs a repair job. This is what happened to me.. I couldn't have a vaginal Hysterectomy.

best luck take care and let us know how you get on.. Have some questions ready for the Surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Gillygirl, so sorry to hear your diagnosis, I was also diagnosed with uterine cancer, Grade 1A last September so exactly a year ago, I also had everything taken away, the long name for the op I had was (deep breath) LAPERASCOPICALY ASSISTED VAGINAL HYSTERECTOMY & BI-LATERAL SALPINGO OOPHERECTOMY, phew why can't medics make up shorter words? Lol, obviously my situation may have been different from your own but don't be afraid to ask why it can't be done vaginally, ask all kinds of questions be certain in your own mind that you have been fully informed, I was incredibly lucky with my consultant he explained everything to me in minute detail, I asked, he answered, it's your body and you have a right to know everything.

Best wishes, keep in touch on here, we are all here for you.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems. I have a friend who is a nurse and she said the its down to how the surgeons prefer to make the incisions, some like vertical and some like horizontal so might be worth asking that if this is the only reason behind it could you have a different surgeon.
  • Posted

Thank you all. I probably won't see my surgeon until the morning of my surgery. I will have to look into hrt treatments as he said I will need to start on it as soon as my surgery is over. X
    • Posted

Good luck and keep us posted to answer all those questions as the time comes nearer. Sooner rather than later hopefully so you can get it all behind you and on road to recovery ๐Ÿ˜Š

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.