Advice/reassurance please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I'm a 35yr old female.

Bit of background info. 14yrs ago I got piles from having my daughter. They have never really bothered me until about 5yrs ago when they started to bleed (according to the docs it was piles). Anyway, a couple of years ago I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy, which diagnosed piles, but he wanted to do the colonoscopy also a few weeks later as I was bleeding clots. I had such an awful experience during the flexi sig that I didn't go back sad

Also, maybe unrelated (I'm not sure), I started bleeding after sex last year and had horrific back pain. I have been back and forth to the gynae who insists my ovaries and cervix are fine and it is just one of theose things. Told me to take the pill (cerelle) and all would be magically cured. I started this 2mths ago and now I bleed more or less every few days. 

Anyway, I have been bleeding on and off since then - some weeks I can bleed after every bowel movement, sometimes I don't bleed for weeks. I have been bloated recently, and went to the docs with severe bdominal pain a month ago - she told me to go to A&E where they took some bloods and said they were "more or less normal" (apparently one inflammation marker was up, but got me in the next day for a pelvic scan, which was fine. They assured me it was nothing gynae related so to go back to the docs and pursue the bowel route. I did, and the doc asked me to hand in a stool sample, whilst asking for a colonoscopy referral - I have the pre-assessment next Wednesday. Anyway, I have had a urine infection lately & rang up the docs for the results and it turns out that the calprotectin levels in my stool sample were over 300 (normal is below 50). I am absolutely beside myself with worry here as all I can think of is colon cancer. I understand it may be jumping to conclusions a bit but my mother has terminal cancer & my daughter has a serious illness so I can't help it. My bowel movements aren't prticularly hard or soft, and i haven't had stomach pain lately, only bloating. My lower back is sore, but it't not a big issue. I also haven't bled from my back end since the end of August. I am trying to lose weight also but am really struggling - it doesn't want to budge. I don't know how I am going to cope waiting until Wednesday, and then probably weeks for the actualy procedure. I have been (probably not wise) googling about persistent symptoms, but nothing much comes up.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What are your stool like? Have they changed size or shape? If you have bowel cancer, you should notice a difference in stool size. A tumour will physically block them and cause them to change shape/size.

But the only sure way to check for bowel cancer is a CT scan or a colonoscopy. Insist on one or both.

• Posted

Well I was thinking about this earlier and they are a lot softer, but can range from being thin to normal. I'm having a presassessment for a colonoscopy on Wednesday. I just feel really panicky and sick knowing my calprotectin levels are high

• Posted

You symptoms could be a lot of different things. It is highly unlikely to be bowel cancer. Even if it were bowel cancer, if you are passing reasonably large stool, the tumour would be small and therefore highly treatable. Your other symptoms (urinary infection, etc) would suggest it is not bowel cancer. Try to relax, You have some kind of health problem, but I don't think its _that_ serious. You are getting the checks. Chill out and wait and see. You are not going to drop dead.  

• Posted

Thanks. I am great at giving this sort of advice to others but not myself. 
  • Posted

Also ot lots of gynae issues going on such as irregular bleeding and bleeding after intercourse. Forgot to mention that
  • Posted

You have a health issue, but I really can't see how it would be bowel cancer. Good luck resolving your health issue. Get checked out. Let us know what it turns out to be.

• Posted

I will do, thanks. Just trying not to lose the plot entirely before Wednesday. I'm hoping after the presassessment they get me in pretty quick as I couldn't deal with waiting weeks

• Posted

KPips

Maybe your urine infection is causing bleeding ?

Try not to get over anxious-may not be as bad as you think.

• Posted

Had bleeding since lst October so don't think its that.

I am proper stressing about it now sad Can't eat properly

• Posted

KPips - If you are still on the 'pill' - it may be aggravating your condition-

Maybe a CT scan would show if anything is there - just go back to GP and ask for one of these.

Are there any other treatments that could  be recommended ?

Otherwise you may have to wait till results of test.

Stop googling- it doesn't help_ I know I tried it too.

All good wishes.

• Posted

Been back and forth about the bleeding to gynae who have done a few ultrasounds and said all is ok. Said my smear was normal too. Then they put me on the pill saying it would stop all the irregular bleeding (was only bleeding after intercourse). Been on pill 3mths and bleed irregular through my cycle now. Doubt they'd give me a CT scan due to ultrasounds being normal. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.