Advice sought - male with catheter using valve instead of leg bag - leakage problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

I wonder if anyone can advise what may be causing my step brother's dad, R, this problem with his catheter:

R is awaiting surgery for his prostate. He has a catheter because he was experiencing urinary retention. His catheter is using a valve rather than a leg bag. R is having problems with the catheter leaking and/or coming apart causing the urine to flow out. I haven't seen this first hand - my step brother told me about the problems - but I gather the valve is opening when it should not and/or coming detached from the tubing.

Can anyone advise what is causing these problems? If that's not a silly question - i guess the obvious answer is the valve doesn't fit the tubing properly or isn't connected properly?

I know bladder spasms can cause leakage due to by-passing and so could blockages in the catheter (though I think that's leakage from where the catheter enters the genitals, not at the valve?) so I'm wondering could something more serious be going on? Or has he been given the wrong valve / tubing?

I'd be very grateful for any advice. I worked a bit with people who used catheters when I was a carer but this was years ago and they all used leg bags, nobody used a valve only.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me as if the valve is faulty so I would suggest he contacts the hospital or whoever inserted the catheter.
    • Posted

Thank you for your helpful reply. It's good to know it's probably that as that can hopefully be fixed without too much trouble. I did say to my step brother that I thought R should go back to get it checked; I'll encourage him again.
  • Posted

I have had the same problem but only with the catheter brand Ruche. These are a clear plastic catheter as opposed to the yellow rubber ones I was using when in hospital. The valves and the leg bags do not fit the end of the catheter properly. The only thing that prevents the valve from slipping off is using a piece of medical tape to secure it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.