Advice / Tips on Recovery Please - How did you rest, bowel movement, labia swelling etc

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I had my sub total abdominal hysterectomy Tues avo and came home Thurs but it has been a challlenge so far!

Just wondered if anyone has any advice / tips on recovery and whether anyone has experienced some of the issues I currently have....

Gas - Nobody told me this would be one of the major things to face causing so much pain! I think I have this under control although it does seem to be worse after eating. Does this improve after a week or so?

Resting vs Walking - I know it's important to get up and about but it seems like a vicious cycle at the moment. I've been up walking to / fro in the house to counteract the trapped gas, avoid blood clots but I just wondered what you ladies did in terms of balancing this out with resting? Did you lay down in bed most of the early days, sit in chairs/on sofa? My backside is numb from sitting/lying as I'm just not used to it. My legs are so restless and I have backache too. I don't want to overdo things.

Labia Swelling - I was shocked to find my right labia very swollen yesterday and black in colour. After a call to the hospital, they asked me to pop back to see the doc who had a quick look and said it's bruising and swelling from the op which has gravitated there. They want to call me today for an update. Having googled this, it seems common. Anyone here experienced it and what did you do and how long did it last?

Bowel movement - So I successfully opened my bowel yesterday after being on lactulose and I had my appetite back. However at 1am I was on the loo in excruitiating pain where I had two soft bowel movements followed by diarrhoea which was horrendous. I know it takes a while for your bowel to get back to normal. Just wondered if anyone had this same experienc? Am scared to eat much now...Think I will lay off the lactulose today...

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll be here again with another Q!!!! I'm starting to feel real nervous about my overall recovery and whilst I know it's early days, I'm worried about long term issues😥

Thank you ladies.

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have to be kind to yourself - it's still early days. I just pottered about in the house for the first week or so, then short walks outside.  I'm now 7 weeks post op and back at work (had vaginal hysterectomy so quicker recovery). I watched quite a bit of tv and read books on the sofa, doing little jobs in between to keep moving.

I had diarrhoea straight away so didn't bother at all with lactulose and it sorted itself out.  Your body has gone through a lot and it will take time to get back to normal but you will get there!

• Posted

Thank you. Yes it's early days, and my body has been through a lot.

Had some lunch and been back on the toilet again. Just makes you feel even weaker than what you already are when you throw diarrhoea into the mix too!

I managed to shower earlier but have been in bed mostly today. I took my dressing off today and the whole bikini triangle from hip to hip is dark yellow from bruising, so lots of healing to be done.

• Posted

Glad to learn that you're recovering!  Try eating a cup of white rice each day to calm your bowels a bit. You can break an egg into it and fry them in a frying pan to add more nutrition or pour chicken broth into the rice and make yourself a soup.  Slowly introduce foods that you know you digest easily in small amounts, more frequently.  

I got up and around more the better I felt, but I didn't press.  One thing to remember is it's very major surgery.  Your outside will heal faster than your inside, so it can take up to six months for your insides to heal.  I think it's especially necessary in the early days after surgery to do this.

Try not to worry, surgery is physically and mentally traumatic, even if it's done to help you. Let yourself feel your feelings.  Reach out to friends and family for comfort and assurance.  Cry if you need to!  

Best of luck, and do keep in touch to let us know how you're doing! xx 

• Posted

Hi, just wanted to re-assure you, I am 12 weeks post op and I feel great except for the random bouts of extreme tiredness. All the pain from the op has gone and so has any funny side effects such as gas. I have been to see my GP who assures me that even though the tiredness comes and goes and it can feel quite severe it is very normal, so take it easy and rest and you will start to feel great in no time.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Lynda and Amanda, it's really reassuring to hear from you both, I'm very grateful.

After the traumatic night and tearful morning yesterday, I managed to rest well during the day and eat a little dinner which stayed put.

I've woken up from a brilliant night sleep, from 10pm to 6:15am, having woken twice just to shift myself slightly and take some tablets but I went back to sleep straight away each time. Amazing how a good night sleep can make you feel!

It's great to hear such positive recovery news from you and I'm going to stay strong and focus on that😉Luckily I have a fantastic support network around me at home too.

Thanks again.

Jess

• Posted

Jess,

You are so welcome.  Every recovery has its ups and downs.  I'm glad you had a good sleep.  

Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi me again!

My tummy swelling has gone right down apart from about an inch above my incision which is swollen and numb. Is that normal? Just wondering as I've no idea what to expect??

My bruising is now really bad, basically the whole bikini triangle area hip to hip downwards and down the top of my inner thighs/groin area is dark yellow/blue/black.

Thanks

Jess

• Posted

Hi Jess!

Glad to know that your tummy swelling has gone down...you really had  an extensive surgery, so it's very early days for you.  Please try to have confidence as your body continues to heal.  

It does take time for the body to be able to heal itself.  But know that, unless you're in pain, that little bit by little bit, you will get better! xx

Lynda

• Posted

Thanks Lynda,

I've been much stronger the last two days, up and pottering about a bit more. Managed to sleep better which helps.

Tummy swelling and bruising going down but incision has a pulling stretching feeling, guess that's the stitches and skin/muscles healing.

I've managed to get up the last two mornings to be around at breakfast time for my 6yr old and also prepare my breakie, lunch and help prepare tea sitting down. Wiped the worktops too very gently.

Conscious not to overdo things of course...

Hoping things continue on the same path😬😉

Jess x

• Posted

Arrrrrgh I'm dreading the op! Not sure if following posts on here help or not hahaha! X

• Posted

Haha, I know what you mean but to be honest it has really helped me overall. The support on this post in particular has helped👍

I think perhaps I was a bit naive going into it, as I had no idea that I would have more pain from the gas and bowels than the incision itself! I had so much pressure in my tummy from the gas in the first few days and the best way to ease it is to get up and walk, yet I was sore and tender doing so. I regularly drink mint tea anyway so that helps.

My bowel movements were quick but went to diarrhoea briefly for 2 days with awful cramps first but most people tend to have constipation...

I felt sick for a good few days so didn't want to eat but then my appetite picked up but I needed to eat plain and little so as not to overload my bowels...balancing act!

I'm feeling much stronger and am up and about which has surprised my family but Im conscious to be careful not to overdo it.

In the first few days, I did think omg what have I done doing this but then I really didn't have much choice as my fibroid was large given my size (petite 6/8) and was only going to grow not shrink given my age.

Be brave and you'll be fine😉Just make sure you have support when you come out and allow yourself time to rest. We are all on here to help too!

I posted another Q earlier haha...

Jess x

• Posted

Wow Jess sounds like you are doing really well! I do heal quickly but am rubbish at resting! I have been constipated for about 4-5 years now as have massive fibroids so will be so glad to be able to go normally!! It's toxins are doing me no favours plus I have hyperthyroidism! Ugh! Thanks for your info it's really helped! I am s**t scared of the op if I'm honest! Do feel as though pressure from the fibroid has eased already? I am constantly bloated and look 4 moths pregnant xx

• Posted

Oh god poor you! I didn't get constipation thankfully, which is surprising as any change from routine like a weekend away would normally set me off. My fibroid gave me bladder issues instead, I constantly needed to wee and never felt like I'd emptied properly. Up every night several times....

I had one fibroid 8x8cm which had pushed my uterus into my bladder and was taking up more than 50% of its capacity. I'm

So pleased it didn't get to the stage of affecting my kidneys which I heard can happen!

Well I was totally s**t scared too! I was scared I wouldn't wake up from the op which is partly due to a hang up I have of having lost my dad at a similar age 42 after his heart op. Very different op but similar scenario of his age and my age now plus I was 5yrs old and my son is 6yrs old. It's been a massive loss for me all my life so I was scared of my boy being in the same boat. I wrote letters to him and my husband before my op just in case, which made me feel much better!

I cried on arrival at the hospital but the nurses were amazing and my surgeon put me at ease beforehand, despite telling me the risks of course.

In recovery I remember saying to the guy thank god I woke up! He was really sweet to me and really reassuring😀

I won't tell you not to worry as you will! I found it easier to focus on why I was having it done and the hope of everything getting back to normal afterwards. I love the gym and the last two months prior to my op I couldn't go which was horrid. Going to bed with a heated bean bag each day, constant pressure on my bladder, awful ovulation etc....

When is your op? How are you having it done?

Stay positive xx

• Posted

Ps a few days before my op I felt normal but I knew that it was because I was in the easy part of my cycle..,it wouldn't last x

• Posted

Oh noooooo I have the bladder thing too it's awful isn't it!?? All bloody night weeing!! So embarrassing when out and about too as need to know where the loos are! It is starting to affect my kidneys now! Oh no poor you! That must of been awful for you!! You are so brave!! I think I may have a freak out too!! My fears are regretting it and waking up during the op plus if it effects sex! Sounds like you're on the way to recovery ! Laparoscopic partial hyst! No date but pre op on the 15th of this month! Xx thanks for your kind words x

• Posted

Yep for me it's the weeing a zillion times before leaving the house for school run then needing a wee on school run and during gym classes! Worse at certain times in my cycle...

I also worried about regretting it after but most people I know said it was the best thing they'd done due to fibroids, having spent time exploring other treatments first, they wished they'd just got on with hysterectomy in the first place.

Just keep telling yourself you can't carry on as you are, that's really what got me through it😉

Hopefully your lapara op won't be as full on as m abdominal one

• Posted

oops! Hopefully it won't be as bad as my abdominal op😬

Where are you having it done?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.