Advice whether to use Picolax or Moviprep

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had one colonoscopy 2 years ago and had a terrible time with taking Moviprep. If anyone has any experience of Picolax versus Moviprep I would be delighted to hear opinions. 

Not worried about the procedure just the preparation. Thanks. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alice. I have had three over 25 years. I had three different preparations. For me picolax was the worst and the most violent. Moviprep was in the middle but I did make it up beforehand and put it in the fridge and found it just about bearable to drink in the end. The effect was more contained for me. So I disliked drinking it but its effect was less explosive and I felt less dehydrated and my electrolytes seemed better balanced. There is tho rather a lot to drink as you know. The best one for me was citramag with some Senna they also give you. I found that quite easy to take and the effect was a clear out but not quite so dramatic. They all work in different ways and I expect for every person who likes one or the other you will find another who hated it. I disliked picolax the most but bear in mind it was my first experience which probably felt more alarming because I did not know what to expect. I'm more used to it now so it is probably easier to bear anyway. But for me citramag and Senna was the most pleasant if that is the right word lol.
    • Posted

Yes I agree, Picolax is like gut Armageddon cheesygrin MoviPrep is the way to go smile
    • Posted

Is it really as bad as it sounds? I was thinking less to drink but obviously it's more potent!!! Maybe I'll stick to what I've experienced already. Thanks for reply. 
    • Posted

I think you have it in one lol! Much less to drink but with me it hit pretty hard. I found MP a bore to drink (tho better when iced cold) and a bit sickly but the effect was more controlled and terminated well before the test.
    • Posted

Picolax ​is less to drink, quick and strong but it doesn't clean you out as well as MoviPrep in my humble opinion smile
  • Posted

Hi,

I've had 3 colonoscopies in the last 10 years and each time the prep was 10 Senna tablets and Citramag to drink a few hours after that. The senna had no effect on its own after 5 hours but the citramag certainly did, but I had no problem with it. It's like a hot lemon drink It is magnesium citrate after all and not unpleasant  My colonoscopy was the next afternoon and I was still going to the loo 10 minutes before I was called into the surgery room..

• Posted

Thank you for replying PaulBen. Don't think Citramag is an option though. 
  • Posted

Picolax gave me blinding headache all day after first sachet ,

Which took 6 hours to work I slept most of that day actually and it was still working next morning 

which had me worried it hadn't done it's job but I needn't have worried colon was spotless I saw it myself lol .

hunger pangs disappear and your left slightly weak feeling well I was ,

I actually thought I'd eat a scabby horse after scope but didn't ,

I supplemented my sandwich with a cycling gel it's like a soft table jelly that contains  same calories as. Meal instantly .

• Posted

I had a failed colonoscopy last week due to an allergic reaction to Moviprep, I was ill taking it, and after taking it. I did mention this reaction to the doctor before the procedure, as I have had the same reaction before. I am now taking Picolax which I know I can take and what's more works. Yes it is 'explosive' but it does the job. Everybody has a different reaction to drugs and my reaction seemed a bit excessive. Hope this helps and you are definitely right the actual colonoscopy procedure is not a worry it is the bowel prep before hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.